Monthly Photo Competition #10 - September 2023 - “Shadow and light”

This is the monthly thread for September 2023. The topic this month is “Shadow and light”, chosen by @aurora_maire

Please note:

1. The general rules for the competition are here.
  2. One entry per person per month. To make the photos easier to review (and to make the voting poll easier to compile) please only post once to this thread, with your entry. Your post can include a caption with whatever info you want to give.
  3. Please keep all discussion in the rolling discussion thread.
  4. Once the submission deadline has passed, I’ll put a voting poll in this thread.

Dates:

Submission deadline: 9pm UK time on Monday 25th September

Voting deadline: 9pm UK time on Friday 29th September

Good luck!

Fading light, blowing dust, big horizon. Cinematic, even.

Taken with a Canon 90D with 55-250mm lens.

This is my friend Trevor. We went on a photography day out to Fountains Abbey a few weekends ago, and while he was busy shooting the inside of the chapel, I spotted an opportunity for a shot of my own. Taken with my none-more-hipster Fuji X100T, and posted with Trev’s permission.

On the bayou…

No guts, no glory

Imgur

I may have posted this one before, but it fits the category pretty well. I took this on a foggy early morning on Lake Samish, WA.

November of last year. Bryce Canyon at sunrise.

Imgur

Dusk falls over the harbor in the little village of Kagawong in northern Ontario.

Sunset, Houlgate, Normandy 7 Sept. Click for full image.

Google Photos

j

Brussels, the Palace of Justice (complete with scaffolding since… uh, forever) after sunset, from the 20th floor of my hotel:

Too literal?

I’m sticking with the Irish theme like with the last two contests. Taken at the Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary, Ireland.

Imgur

Imgur

In the afternoon light, shadows, like vines climb my patio wall:

My rocking chair.
Imgur

Imgur

Moonrise over Michigan.
Imgur

Imgur