Monthly Photo Competition #4 - March 2023 - "Water"

This is the monthly thread for March 2023. The topic this month is “Water”, chosen by @Turek

Please note:

1. The general rules for the competition are here .
  2. One entry per person per month. To make the photos easier to review (and to make the voting poll easier to compile) please only post once to this thread, with your entry. Your post can include a caption with whatever info you want to give.
  3. Please keep all discussion in the rolling discussion thread .
  4. Once the submission deadline has passed, I’ll put a voting poll in this thread.

Dates:

Submission deadline: 9pm GMT on Wednesday 22nd March 2023

Voting deadline: 9pm GMT on Monday 29th March 2023

Good luck!

Ancient (c. 1972) Nikkor ƒ/1.4 50mm lens mounted on my Nikon D3200.  Aperture set wide open at ƒ/1.4, but with a star-shaped stencil over the lens which effectively reduces the aperture by 1.7 of a stop to about ƒ.3.1.  Sensor set to ISO 100.  Shutter speed 1⁄250ʺ, but effective speed is imposed by the much shorter, but unknown duration of the electronic flash, probably less than 1⁄2000ʺ

On a Pictured Rocks tour boat with the family. I really wish I had been one of the kayakers you can just see under the arch that day. This was in 2014 I think, and there have been a couple cliff collapses along the Pictured Rocks shoreline since then, so this arch may not exist anymore.

At… well, you know where:

oops nm

Alamere Falls / Point Reyes National Seashore

It rains in Brussels.

I don’t really remember much about this photo, other than that I took it when I visited Cuba in 2015.

Imgur

Lake Wawasee, Indiana.

Big wake and rough waters, cruising Georgian Bay … don’t quite remember how I managed that one, but I obviously got myself down close to the water. The thing at the right is a portion of a swim ladder in the stowed position.

So I shot to the brief this time instead of using my catalog.

We have these bushes with slightly fuzzy leaves that hold raindrops on them after storms. It was a fun exercise – some of the drops look like jelly, some reflected what was above them (mainly the hanging baskets on the porch eaves) and this perfectly round, diamond-like one acts as a magnifying glass, emphasizing the veins in the leaf upon which it sits.

Imgur

At some point I figured out that the key to taking amazing sunset pictures at Harris Beach (Brookings Oregon) is simply to take sunset pictures at Harris Beach. Had to hunt through my collection to find one where the water is really the star of the show.

Google Photos

nm again

I’m not a morning person, so when I somehow was wide awake one morning at about 6am, I quickly grabbed my camera bag and hustled my way over to the “duck pond” a few hundred yards away from my house. I was rewarded for my efforts.

This photo has been hanging on the wall in my upstairs hallway for quite some time.

Lake Cayuga, of New York’s Finger Lakes.

Imgur
Play this while viewing:

Alamosa Gap New Mexico

Victorio and Geronimo knew of this perennial spring that follows a fault line through the mountain range. Apache raiders would lead pursuers into what appears to be a box canyon. The pursuers would halt believing the indians were trapped, but the wily Apache knew of the spring and escaped into the Rio Grande Valley.

Sunset, waves, and divi tree, Aruba. Christmas Day 2023
Google Photos

Here’s one I took in Puerto Rico in 2016.

Took this several years ago. Anacostia River, Washington DC

Imgur