Monthly Photo Competition #7 - June 2023 - "Reflections"

This is the monthly thread for June 2023. The topic this month is “Reflections”, chosen by @Chefguy and @aurora_maire

Please note:

1. The general rules for the competition are here.

2. One entry per person per month. To make the photos easier to review (and to make the voting poll easier to compile) please only post once to this thread, with your entry. Your post can include a caption with whatever info you want to give.

3. Please keep all discussion in the rolling discussion thread.

4. Once the submission deadline has passed, I’ll put a voting poll in this thread.

Dates:

Submission deadline: 9pm UK time on Monday 19th June

Voting deadline: 9pm UK time on Monday 26th June

Good luck!

NB: We’re starting this one a bit early because the May competition finished early to get it done and dusted before I go away on holiday.

Just a note: we deliberately made the category a bit vague so that you all can just run wild with it. Whatever “reflections” brings to your mind (literal or ethereal) is fine. You might add a bit of verbiage with the photo to explain how it ties in to the topic.

Reflections in an old mill pond in SE Missouri.

Imgur

How serendipitous. I literally just posted a reflection photo from January of 2013 on my Instagram fee. My wife and I were in India for three weeks – I was shooting a wedding down in Ahmedabad – and we had some time to travel around before returning home. I almost passed up on visiting the Taj Mahal, figuring it would just be too crowded and touristy (which is true – but get there when the gates open and you can have the place to yourself or seemingly so for about ten, fifteen minutes.) After taking a few pix of my wife in front of the reflecting pool with the misty morning air delicately shrouding the Taj Mahal, we walked around the grounds and returned, this time with the morning light peeking through and giving a sharper sense of shape and contrast to the mausoleum. I was entranced by its almost Impressionist reflection in the pool. I worked around the composition for a bit, and then decided to flip it in the end:

Anyway, I find reflections (in the literal sense) fun, but really difficult to come up with something interesting. I have the same struggle with silhouettes.

Imgur

The Harrison Park Boathouse on the Union Canal, Edinburgh, Scotland.
It’s a very frequently photographed building - but I was lucky to catch this evening light.

One of my favorite places to take pictures, Westbury Gardens.

Sunset at Devil’s Kitchen, Oregon taken on New Year’s Eve 2018.

I took this photo at Smith Rock State Park in Oregon several years ago. We were hiking along the Crooked River in late afternoon and this looked like a painting in a museum. No post-shoot shenanigans were needed, as the colors were perfect.

From a boat under the Mackinac Bridge.

Imgur

Imgur

Rainbow Bridge at Dusk

Alright, I took this picture for the “transportation” theme a few months ago, but didn’t use it as my entry, and it works for this one, too. And I doubt I can find a better subject for this theme around here (And I’m admitting to myself that I’m not going to go out and take any photos before the deadline).

Imgur

This month’s theme pretty much demands a shot from Mirror Lake in Yosemite …

This month’s theme pretty much demands a shot from Nagasaki’s spectacles bridge, but I’ll reserve that for the rolling discussion thread and will post the reflection in my swamp around the first iris in bloom, just seen the day before yesterday:

Spring is here!
ETA: The iris is the little yellow dot in the middle, could not get nearer without sinking :smiley:

National Harbor, MD

Imgur

Lake Natoma sunrise, near Folsom, CA…

Imgur

Water lily/lotus pond in Duke Gardens in Durham, NC. I really like how the narrow depth of field on this shot gives that textured, almost painterly look to the ripples in the pond. Click to see larger.

Imgur

Autumn in the rearview.

rearview.jpg by j_person

I gather that @Seanette has told all of you about Buddy. A few months ago, a theme for a different photo challenge in which I participated was “Reflections”.  At some point, I saw Buddy on the bathroom counter, near a mirror.  I thought to try to turn him around facing the mirror, for a better picture, but he was having none of that.

Somewhere in all of that, I had him pouncing at my hand, and that created interesting poses, but at too high a rate, that I couldn’t back away and take the picture.

This picture, I got by using a yardstick, to draw his attention, to pounce at the end of it.  It was very awkward, with the yardstick in one hand, and my camera in the other, but out of many shots, I got a few that were salvageable.  This was the best shot out of that lot.

Imgur

Local HS marching band held a parade in my neighborhood. I followed them to where they took a rest and got several nice pics.

I especially like the reflections of the clouds here

Chicago architecture reflected in the Bean sculpture in Millennium Park. Um, it probably has an official name, googling…, Cloud Gate sculpture.