Most "Texas" of Texas Cities

What is the most “Texan” name of a Texas town or city.? Note, I don’t care about the town itself, whether they wear Noconas or drink Vanilla Latte, just the name of the place. What name, says Texas, can only be Texas etc. Understand? I’m not sure I do.

I would say that being well known, like Dallas or Houston will not cut it. Maybe I am breaking the rule I stated above and penalizing them for being big cities.

Nacogdoches, while a candidate, gets eliminated because of the city in Louisiana with similar name (Natchitoches).

So here is my final 5…

1. Pampa

2. Lubbock

3. Terlingua

4. Waxahachie

5. Uvalde

Austin
Lubbock
Odessa
Fort Worth
San Antonio

FTR, Natchitoches is pronounced “nack a dish” while Nacogdoches is pronounced “nack a doe chiz”.

Amarillo. Especially when spoken.

Marfa
Amarillo
Dimebox
Lufkin

Or, if you’re me, you pronounce it “naked dishes”. hehe.

So, y’all think my adopted town of Lubbock is among the most Texan? Well, feather my feet and start me grinnin’!

Note: in my mind, what makes a town’s name “Texan” around here is the lack of imagination. I mean, Littlefield? Brownfield? Shallowwater? Levelland?! Have they no creativity?!

leakey (say “lakey”)
weesatche
seguin
bandera
kerrville

unclviny

Well, Houston was named for Sam Houston, 1st pres of the Republic of Texas. So why not Houston?

Austin, named for Stephen F Austin, early Texas patriot.

Corpus Christi (Body of Christ) reflects the early (and continuing) Spanish influence in Texas.

And, of course, San Antonio. “Remember the Alamo!”

Lubbock
Abilene
Luckenbach

How 'bout …TEXAS CITY

Amarillo

Big Spring

Wellington

Perryton

El Paso

San Antonio.

But you must pronounce it “San-An tone.” Stress the “San” and “An.”

I overlooked an obvious one in my earlier post: Muleshoe.

I live near the following;

Flint, Dogwood City, Brushy Creek, Crossroads, Brushy Creek, Seven Points, Gun Barrel City, and Blackfoot just to name a few!

http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Texas_towns_A_to_Z.htm

There’s a few more, enjoy.

What? Nobody in San Antonio pronounces it “San Antone.” I think it’s sort of like the “Frisco” thing with San Fransiscans. (Yes, I’m from SA.)

I’d have to say that the most “Texas” town might be Waco. What’s more Texan than Dr Pepper? Or Baptists? (Baylor) :smiley:

How about our own twin cities of Midland/Odessa?

And Lord Jim - Luckenbach? A city?

Ah… how do I miss Texas! Luckily, I’ll be back for a quick visit next weekend. Blame my homesickness for this long list, in approximate order:

Alpine
Waco
Palacios
Uvalde
Fredericksburg
Brady
Terlingua
Midland
Lampasas
Llano
Burnet
Marfa
Amarillo
Lubbock
Kilgore

I admit a bias towards central and west Texas, as well as a bias towards small towns.

I think Amsterdam, TX has that certain je-ne-sais-quoi that just screams “cowboy hats and pick-up trucks” to me. :slight_smile:

You mean here?

How 'bout… Longhorn !!!

Now that just screams Texas at the top of it’s lungs.

You go anywhere in the country and say your hometown is Longhorn. I bet a $ to/a doughnut, they’ll know…“that’s in Texas”.
I do love West Texas and the Big Bend area, esp. Alpine,
(Sul Ross U) got some pretty women out there. Anyone here know Marcus Peredes w/ “Far Flung Adventures”?

Peace t-keela