Movie love most like real love?

What movie, for you, is the best illustration of real love? I’m talking romantic love here.

I’m a little stumped myself, partly because I mostly go for unrealistic movies, musicals, fantasies, partly, I think, because I’ve spent a lot of time judging real life love (in which I’ve been fantastically lucky) by movie love

I looked over everything I ever rented from Netflix and I think the winners are Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney playing John and Abigail Adams in the “John Adams” miniseries, but picking a miniseries may be cheating.

Maybe not dead-on, but the love the Joseph Gordon-Levitt character in 500 Days of Summer had for the Zooey Deschanel character was realistic. And the one split-screen fantasy/reality scene definitely rang true for a lot of people, including me.

Although I don’t have an answer, I’d like to compliment you on a most intriguing question!

One problem with coming up with good examples might be that “real love” would not be particularly interesting in a movie. Real people, really in love, and staying happy until death do them part… well, it might be excruciatingly boring to all outside observers!..TRM

I’m going by what I felt at the time, but I thought that the romance in ‘The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’ was quite credible. Mostly because it failed in the end, though.

My all-time favourite piece of fiction is Pushkin’s ‘Onegin’. Everyone should see the criminally overloooked but superb movie adaptation. One of the many reasons I love it is the highly realistic handling of the theme of love and passion. I could write so much more, but I don’t want to spoil it for those who don’t know the wonderful story - which AFAIK remains unique in literature.

The well-known Richard Curtis movie Love Actually weaves together seven or eight different story lines. Okay, it’s a comedy, and some of the stories are fairly predictable movie fare. But I think some of the stories offer a realistic portrayal of what love means to real people in real situations, particularly Mark’s story and Sam’s story.

Thora Birch and Steve Buscemi in Ghost World. It ends badly and quickly. What other endorsement do you need?

The relationship development in **Something’s Gotta Give **resonates with me.

I was going to post this too. And Love Actually. Also, the lead-up to the breakup in the otherwise execrable The Breakup was pretty good- little innocuous things that snowball into an intractible situation rang true.

I think almost every relationship in the movie Parenthood was ridiculously realistic.

Yes! This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I watched it with my husband before we got married and had kids and we still watch it a lot. We talk to each other a lot like Steve Martin and Mary Steenburgen, sometimes even quoting (“Show 'em honey!”, “How proud you must be.”) but maybe that is real love imitating movie love.

Sadly, in my case, the upcommingLeap Year.

Yep, Love Actually was what popped into my head, first thing. I also agree with Parenthood.

I thought High Fidelity was a pretty realistic treatment, so much so that at times it was painful to watch.

***When Harry Met Sally ***strikes a chord for me, besides being a very funny movie.

I came in to mention “Love Actually”, but specifically the relationship between Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson’s characters. Some of the other “loves” happen too quickly for me - at least two couples get engaged within a month of meeting - whereas theirs seems complex and real. I love how in the airport sequence at the end she meets him off the plane, and you can see she’s started making more of an effort with her appearance, but also that she still hasn’t forgiven him and things are still strained between them.

I also love how quickly her character pulls herself together following the gift scene - so true to life, because your two kids are waiting downstairs, it’s their Christmas concert, what else are you going to do? You have to be ok for them.

I agree. It’s not puppy love, but just workaday pain in the ass love.

No movie captures falling in love as well as Before Sunrise. Pitch perfect.

No movie captures the wistfulness of lost love like Before Sunset.

Just popped in to nominate Lost in Translation.

Not quite an answer to the question asked, but similar enough…

The most realistic-seeming married couple dynamic I’ve seen on a TV show is the coach and his wife on the excellent Friday Night Lights.

9 Songs, and no I’m not being facetious.