Moving to a new state when you retire? Great or selfish?

My mother has always stated she expected help from her kids if and when she was unable to care for herself when she was older. And in my mother’s case, she’s walked-the-walk herself and cared for her own mother when she needed help her last year of life. But it did lead to a rather uncomfortable conversation when my mother mentioned that her grandchild would care for my sister when she was older. “If I burden my kid with that responsibility then I’ve failed.” Awkward!

My mother-in-law has taken steps to ensure she’s covered in case she’s ever unable to care for herself. But I did tell my wife her mother was welcome to live with us if she gets to that point. And I’m sure my sister and I will be able to help my mother out if necessary.

As far as retirement goes, I think people need to do what’s good for them. If you go to Mountain Home, Arkansas to the local farmer’s market, it practically sounds like you’re in Chicago with all the retirees from Illinois. They come down to Mountain Home because the cost of living is a lot less than the Chicago area. And probably because there’s hardly any snow. Most of my family members who were in California have either died or moved out-of-state because the cost of living is outrageous. When my grandfather died, his house sold for $250,000. The house that was built in the 1950s and didn’t have central air, had its original kitchen, and termite damage still sold for a quarter million.

Folks, enjoy your retirement.