My Aunt Flo is visitng, or...

When I saw chuky I thought it said Chunky and I was really worried.

So far I like the hardygrrl’s riding the cotton pony and AudreyK’s a visit from the cardinal.

Thanks

On the rag, but usually with an expletive thrown in. Riding the crimson wave is another one I’ve heard, but don’t use.

Creaky, I hear ya. I loved not having my period when I was pregnant, and then not getting it again for a looooooong time after. Heaven.

When I was in the Marines, this is what we sang as “Jodies” (running cadence songs) when we were out of earshot from civilians:

You will know
By the flow
There will be no embryo
When that time of the month rolls around.

You can see
By the pee
There will be no bay-ay-by

You can tell
By the smell
That she isn’t feeling well

You can guess
From the stench
That she’s bleeding from her trench

It’ll be RAH RAH REE
To the Kotex Factory

Well, hell. Don’t look at me like that. We were training to be killers. Creators of widows and orphans. Raisers of Hell, and Bringers of Death and Destruction. Besides, running in formation for twelve freakin’ miles demanded some sick humor. We weren’t the Boy Scouts.

UncleBill…

And to think I hesitated before posting “riding the cotton pony.”

Like the in the stofsky household, “that time of the month” is generally referred to as “green pill week”, for the inert green pills.

I’m a guy and all my guy friends liked to bitch about how they didn’t “get any” because the girl was “ragging.”

There is a big list of these terms (from many different nations) at the Museum of Menstruation website.

What the…???

This seems like it might be a good source of colorful descriptions. Ahh Dave, you’ve never failed to crack me up.

[QUOTE]
The Kids in the Hall (Dave Foley)
**Hi, my name’s Dave Foley, and, uh, something you might not know about me is that … I have a good attitude towards menstruation. That’s right, I’m the guy! The guy with a good attitude towards menstruation! Oh, I know a lot of men are made uncomfortable by this monthly miracle. But not me. No, I embrace it. Embrace it the way the way some men embrace the weekend! Why I anticipate it the way a child anticipates Christmas!

Did you know that, uh, in alot of native Indian cultures, menstruating woman were forced to leave the village, less they’re powerful magic should overwhelm the Shaman? If I were Shaman, I wouldn’t be so competitive. I’d be more open and giving. I’d be a shaman with… a good attitude towards menstruation!

'Cause after all, what is it? a cluster of blood vessels, awaiting a fertilized egg. Providing a safe warm place for that egg to grow. And if a life does not occur, the whole thing is flushed away, and the cycle begins again. Now is that anything to be ashamed of or disgusted by? No, this is the nesting stuff of humanity!

That’s why the woman I shall love will be able to menstruate as fully and freely as she desires. Even if her monthly flow should build in intensity to a raging rust colored torrent! An unbridled river of life giving blood flowing from between her legs! An awesome cataract plunging off the edge of our couch. I wouldn’t be fazed! No, no, even if coureur de bois would come up stream, battling the rapids, and singing a ‘jaunty song’! I would take no offense, rather I would ford across that mighty womanly river, and fetch herbal tea and Pamprin. And then I would mop her brow and admire her fecundity. For I…Have A Good Attitude…Towards MENSTRUATION!
QUOTE]
I also wanted to work a kiss my grits reference in here but oh well.

A Native American term is “time of the flower,” and Stephen King used the expression “Is the moon full for you?” in Rose Madder. I like them both cause they are positive expressions.

UncleBill, I started to sing your song and the Big Boss walked in. Tee Hee!

On the blob.

Interesting footnote to this: I was over at her house one afternoon, we were just sitting down to watch the Cubs play (me because I’m a fan, her because she had a crush on Brant Brown). Anyway, it was during those delightful few days that she has. She had disappeared into the kitchen for a minute, and as she walked back into the room, she stopped suddenly, and grimaced. I asked if she was okay. She replied, “Ooh…chunk.” And retreated into the bathroom.

C3, and now everyone is talking about your monthly (re: you may want to start calling it dubya):wink:
Riding the cotton pony: excellent!
Cept I dont ride that myself.
plugtime?

I call it Aunt Flo. My boyfriend calls it “blow job week”.

Monthly Bill.

We just call it “girl stuff” around here.

Paying the monthly bill (my current fave).

My dad says that back in the 40s, guys used to say that a girl on her period was “out of commission.”

(No, I am not going to explain why we had such a conversation.)

Vanilla…

That’s the term one of my best friends uses :slight_smile:

As in…“Excuse me,gotta change the plug.”

/hijack/

Being the leader of the Girls, it is my duty to keep track of each Girl’s cycle. I do it on my calendar at work…middle intial on the approximate day. That’s how I could tell one of the Girls she was pregnant before she guessed.

/end hijack/

“She’s at the end of her sentence.”

I hate the term “montly bill.” What exactly am I paying for?

A word of caution: if anyone mentions the miraculous beauty of the gift of bringing a new life into this world, I’m gonna . . . Well, best leave that unsaid.

Oooooh. I likes it. Non-descript (compare to “on the blob”), pretty random (roof?) and a little surreal.
I must only hope that I can remember this one for another three weeks. Thank you, MsWhatsit!