My brother in law is NOT a fucking terrorist!

I feel incredibly sickened.

I knew that there are people in this country who feel that everyone who looks even close to Arabic are dirty terrorists and must be vilified. I knew that some of those people even stoop to violence against any person they feel might possibly be Arabic or Muslim. I knew these people existed, but I guess I assumed those people were few and far between. Sure, I’m a Yankee and I enjoy living in a liberal community. But SURELY, even down South or in the Midwest, most people just aren’t like that!

I guess I was wrong. I guess even my family is not immune from louts with nothing going for them but a couple fists and a misplaced sense of superiority.

When my big sister met the love of her life, I thought nothing other than “hey cool!” about the fact that he is a Turkish immigrant. When she married him last August I toasted my new brother by quoting him poetry drinking to their long life together.

But I realize now that, according to some peoples’ world views, this was completely Un-American.

Maybe I should thank the men who stopped him while he was riding his bike home from work and beat up this potential terrorist. I should thank my lucky stars they saved this country from a newlywed french cuisine chef and his evil, evil ways.

Consider my eyes opened. Consider me enlightened, if you will. I now know that, even if you are an atheist, happily married with a good job, even if you speak English fluently and are highly educated, in the eyes of America you’re nothing more than a dirty Arab.

Thanks guys, that’s good to know.
FUCK YOU, you miserable sacs of necrotic tissue, you poor excuses for thinking beings. How dare you treat my family this way?

Ugh. I can’t think about it anymore. Thankfully he is not seriously injured. But honestly. How can you think this awesome guy deserves that?

First, I hope your brother-in-law is ok, and that the people who did that to him are punished to the full extent of the law. But don’t you think you’re maybe being a little unfair, here? He wason’t a terrorist in “the eyes of America”, but just in the eyes of the yahoos who did that terrible thing to him.

Again, I hope he and your sister are ok, and give them my wishes.

I left a message board that my husband and I were both members of because they were allowing hate speech against Muslims, and most of the members didn’t think a thing about it, because it was just against Muslims. My husband elected to remain a member there so he could agitate against this type of bigotry from within.

It was eye-opening for me to see (from that other board) that your average Joe is perfectly fine with prejudice against Middle Eastern people, and in fact, is somewhat upset with people who aren’t prejudiced against them. After all, if you’re not anti-Muslim, you must not be a Patriot, and you’re wishing death on all soldiers, right?

I’m sorry to hear your brother-in-law was a victim of a hate crime, Elysium. I hope he finds a way to not let it diminish the quality of his life.

I’m definitely exaggerating the American bit. But sometimes it really seems like SO many people are willing to accept or perpetuate the whole middle eastern=arabic=evil idea. Even my own future parents in law are slightly in line with this misconception.

It really sucks to hear this kind of racism so often, with so few objecting.

And featherlou that’s exactly it! Most people are not the “Beat him up!” types, but many many people feel “uncomfortable” with a mosque in town, etc.

I mean, my BIL is not even Muslim! Come on!

That’s awful! A pox on the bastards who did it and all their ilk.

Wait-Turks aren’t Arabs. Unless your brother-in-law is an Arab who happens to be from Turkey. (He’s CUTE, btw-your sister’s a lucky gal).

As for the assholes who beat him up, I have no words. Just…disgust.

So, did they catch the guys who did it?

The kind of scum who do things like this aren’t likely to make that sort of distinction. I do know people who think that Turkey is both Arabic ( because Islamic = Arab, don’t you know :rolleyes: ), and a terrorist state that would love to conquer the ME if it wasn’t for us noble Americans holding them back.

I am sorry that your brother in law was attacked by such idiotic, violent and worthless people.

(It’s unpleasant to think about, but to show how stupid they were - they think they’ve caught a terrorist and they don’t arrest him?)

Sadly such crass behaviour is not confined to the US:

A paediatrician at a south Wales hospital has been forced out of her home by vandals who thought her job title meant the same as “paedophile”.

:smack:

Elysium: here’s wishing your brother-in-law a speedy recovery. For what it’s worth, I think most Americans still frown on this sort of behavior. Did this actually happen in Boston? I always thought their lynch mobs traditionally limited themselves to pelting victims with delicious Boston cream pie, the official state dessert of Massachussetts.

I have to say, just from looking at the picture, I wouldn’t have automatically leapt to the assumption that the guy is Turkish. Are you sure he wasn’t beaten up for being a French chef instead? I could see that happening.

I actually never specified the location Terrifel, I realize that might be misleading. He and my sister live in an urban part of North Carolina. They did live in Savannah GA but moved to NC last year.

He is doing okay, but unfortunately his attackers hit and run, as it were, so they will likely get off scott free.

I can’t believe that story glee, that’s a level of stupidity I didn’t know existed.

waves

Hey there! I think I’ve seen you post before.

Yep! Been around for a while :slight_smile: Sorry about your brother-in-law, unfortunately it happens sometimes. One of my good friends is from Pakistan, living in a small Indiana town. He hasn’t said that anyone’s been bigoted towards him yet, but I do worry about it. Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, I seem to remember he was a really nice guy, from another thread of yours.

Ah, but can you prove he’s not? :wink:

What State and city did this happen in? :confused:

I’ve been told that I can’t complain about the treatment I receive from American airport rentacops because my looks “could be middle-eastern, you know.” Apparently I’m light enough that I can’t be Mexican (snort) but too dark to be European (re-snort).

Normally my expression when people tell me that is enough to have them hollering for forgiveness without needing to actually say anything, but damn them all to Hell (and hopefully to a different cauldron than the one I’ll be in).

I seem to recall a podiatrist in Britain being assaulted or killed a year or two ago for the same reason, but can’t find the story.

Both urban legends, I’m afraid.

Both? So the cite provided by **glee **was fake?