My brother in law is NOT a fucking terrorist!

Dr.Deth this happened near Carrboro, North Carolina. He is the head chef at a Moroccan restaurant there. (Just so there’s no confusion from my comments above, he trained in French cuisine but because of his ethnicity he’s working in a Middle Eastern restaurant)

I remembered last night that the poor guy was mugged once before, when they were in Savannah. That time it was probably just a simple mugging, they stole his bike and some money.

But this time nothing was stolen, they just saw him and wanted to kick his ass.
I hope next time they video tape it or something and wind up on a Stupid Redneck Criminal show. They strike me as that type of brilliant.

I never heard the podiatrist one, but the paediatrician one is true.

For a given vale of “true”. :wink:

The real story is somewhat different.

In summary, a 14 y/old idiot sprayed a single word “paedo” on Dr Yvette Cloete’s house. Yes, it was upsetting for her and she subsequently moved house.

But… there was no howling mob. There was no spray-paint “all over the walls”. She wasn’t at home during the act.

A half-wit teenager with a spraycan doesn’t equal a baying mob of inbred locals out for blood.

But, in the words of Chief Inspector Andrew Adams, of Gwent Police, who was the liaison officer in charge when news of this incident broke: *“Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?” *

This story has now entered British legend, but the reality is rather more prosaic.

My best friend David has wooly hair and an olive complexion. After 9-11, he shaved his face and wore his biggest star of David. If he were actually Muslim, I imagine he’d be dead by now.

What’s that quote, “they came for the Jews, and I said nothing, because I was not a Jew. They came for the communists, and I said nothing because I was not a communist . . .”

We are so willing to not get upset and/or actually do anything about shit like this.

When you live in a society that treats a certain group with suspicion and occasional scorn, it’s not surprising that some members of the society on one end of the bell curve are going to internalize those attitudes to the point of violence.

The problem isn’t a few whack-jobs who feel like beating up a towel-head is a good idea, the problem is the friends and family of said whack-jobs who don’t stand up for minorities when the minorities aren’t around; who nod, laugh uncomfortably, or merely say nothing when their son/father/daughter/friend makes racist comments.

Shit.

I used to live in Carrboro. Never heard of hate crimes back then - it was a pretty civilized, open-minded, granola-munching kind of place and folks seemed to be fairly tolerant. I’m sorry to hear things have gone so radically downhill since then :frowning:

I hope your BIL is doing OK now… aside from having to live near some FUCKING ASSHOLES.

That’s exactly why I left the message board that was allowing hate speech against Muslims. I said my piece there, told them exactly what I thought about allowing hate speech against Muslims, then I left because I didn’t want to associate with a group that would condone it (that actually has Muslims as members).

I have to admit I’m guilty of this. The Monster’s mother is a borderline racist, she’ll talk about “chocolate” people, or “those arabs,” “damned italians,” or even “those jews,” and it always annoys me. I’ve called her on it a few times, and she always backpedals with doubletalk about how she’s not really racist. Just some people really are “like that.”

When I ask why she just doesn’t complain about jerks and assholes, instead of labelling them by race or color, she get all offended and acts as though I’m attacking her, personally.

The whole dance gets pretty damned exhausting. And I’m not as good about repeating it as much as I should, because she’s just far enough into irrational that if I keep making her uncomfortable she’ll cut off all contact with me again, and it’ll be another few years before I can see The Monster again. So I just try to moderate things with The Monster and her brother.

I don’t pretend it’s an ideal situation, but I really don’t see anything else I can do. (And if one thinks The Monster’s mother is bad, you should get into a conversation with either of the men she’s had children with.)

I finally had to stop hanging out with some guys who constantly talked about “niggers,” “sand niggers,” and “faggots.” I hated having to part ways with old friends but stories like this remind me of why I did so.

I hope your brother in law recovers soon. I feel awful for you.

You’re right. I know nothing is more compelling for people in North Carolina than for a New York liberal to condemn them for prejudice.

Holy crap, that happened in Carrboro? That’s appalling.

Best wishes to your brother-in-law.

Point taken, and I’m not saying there’s a one-size-fits-all phrase that one can deliver upon being witness to obviously racist/sexist/-ist language and attitudes.

However, if a person harbors prejudice against me because I’m from the North, or because I take said person to task for being racist, then that’s his problem. And, if enough people speak out instead of staying quiet in order to maintain peace, then maybe folks down the road won’t have to make that choice. Again, Joe from S.C. is only able to get indignant towards the Northerner butting in when he feels like he has the rest of his community at his back. He can only feel this way when people who disagree with him choose not to take him to task for wrong thinking.
And, surely there are North Carolinans who can speak up when they hear racist language.

Fucking bastards. Stories like this, especially when they’re set in the South, really fucking chap my hide. I just read a really uplifting quote by a Middle-Eastern photographer (Karim Shamshi Basha,) who came to Birmingham 20 or so years ago. He said something to the effect of, “After 9/11, I expected hard times for me in the Deep South. I expected to be reviled and to be under suspicion. Instead, the people of Alabama have treated me with nothing but tolerance and respect.”

And now this. What a bunch of cowards. :mad:

You guys are all missing the point here. It doesn’t matter what he looks like, the guy is an admitted french cuisine chef. I say until he changes his profession to freedom cuisine chef he has it coming to him. Walking the streets, in public, out in the open, in front of loyal, God-fearing, patriotic Americans. What did he think was going to happen?

Thanks BooBoo, you’ve set us all on the right path! I should go have a chat with my sister over where her loyalties lie.

I needed a way to laugh at this.

One of my very good friends is Muslim, from Lebanon. I’ve been known to take people to task on another board where we’re both mutual members because they’ve said something completely stereotypical about ‘all Muslims’, and she’s basically sat back and said nothing because she doesn’t want to come under their wrath (and I can’t blame her - they’re a bunch of jackasses). It sets me up for their wrath, but I don’t give a crap. I don’t know how they can make blanket ‘all Muslim’ statements when they claim to be friends with her, who’s one of the sweetest people I know, and whose family owns a bunch of IHOPs, for God’s sake. Yep, they’re committing terrorist acts through PANCAKES!

E.

Mmm, terrorist pancakes. With Uzi syrup. And flaks of blueberries.

Damn, now I want pancakes.

Even better if they’re infidel pancakes.

I quit a job last year partly because of rampant bigoted bullshit. My boss was the worst. When the riots were happening in France, this asshole actually said out loud that the French army should just “shoot all the Muslims”. There was a guy working there who was a Muslim from the Middle East, and who also reported to this fucker. I don’t know why he put up with it. My boss was friends with the owner of the company and had been there a long time; I didn’t figure reporting his stupid ass to HR would actually accomplish anything.

Interestingly I stated that vandals had forced her out of her house. All true. (I suppose I could have said ‘one or more vandals’, but nobody knows how many there were.)

Where do you get phrases like ‘howling mob’ and ‘inbred locals out for blood’ from? :confused: