**Mother Maven ** sent me an email saying that **Mouse_Bro ** is in the hospital with cardiomyopathy. He had an episode of this illness two years ago.
I am not close to my brother. We never had a falling out, we’re just very different people. **Mouse_Bro ** is very out-going. He has a large circle of friends. They get together to drink, smoke pot and shoot the shit. My brother is also a big music lover. He idolizes the Beatles and goes to several concerts every year. I’m shy. Working full-time and going to school part-time consumes most of my energy. **Mouse_Bro ** is a chef. I’m a research assistant in an immunology lab. Whenever we get together, we have nothing to talk about. shrug
I called **Mouse_Bro’s ** girl friend to get more information. She told me that Bro is leaving the hospital tomorrow and will have to take some time off of work. Just before I could ask when was a good time for me to visit, she added “Your Nana is flying in to see him on Friday.”
My heart sunk. I haven’t seen Nana, our paternal grandmother, in over ten years. **Mouse_Bro ** kept in touch, but I couldn’t. The Uncle (Father’s brother-in-law) sexually abused me for years. When I was a sophomore in college, the guilt and depression over came me and I attempted suicide. I needed help, but my father’s side of the family shunned me. (Mother’s side of the family didn’t have anything to do with us either. Father was a Mormon from a blue-collar family. Mother was a Methodist from a white-collar background. This apparently meant a lot in 1970’s Louisiana.) After getting out of the hospital, I left Louisiana and my family.
A couple of years ago, **Mouse_Bro ** visited our father’s family. He gleefully told me that The Uncle, who is a corrections officer, was badly injured by an inmate.
“How did you find out?” I asked.
“He’s still married to Aunt K.”
This fucking destroyed me inside. I was abused and abandoned and the man who caused all this pain was still with the family. I know that **Mouse_Bro ** was trying to make me feel better, but it just poured salt on an old wound. Part of me wished he would join me in exile. Our extended family wasn’t pleased when he became a father at 17, but I guess that’s better than being a “whore.”
Sorry folks. Just needed to vent.