My dog has destroyed my sister's house

I left my dog with my sister again while traveling. And again he has destroyed part of her house. This isn the first time but she has watched him without destruction before.
My personal opinion is that she won’t take the time to train him against his bad behavior, but maybe it is something I’m not doing.
His typical transgressions occur whenthey leave him alone for some time.
Couple notes: they are dog people with their own 14 yr old pitbull mutt who is a perfect dog.
My dog goes after toys left on the ground by their kids. Or the door thy leave through when they leave him.
He doesn’t have problems in my house and I leave him far longer.

He was adopted 4 yrs ago at 5 months old and never took to crate training. Blame for that could be mine or his previous owner. (He was terrified of the crate I bought)

he stays at other houses with no problems. Can’t figure out the differences.

any suggestions? My only thought is to crate train him so he can’t cause any trouble.

No suggestions about changing the dog’s behavior problems, but if it were me, I would be sure to send sis and her family a bottle of her favorite top-shelf booze, along with a gift card to their favorite restaurant, for being so willing to take the responsibility of watching your pet…

Does your dog have his favorite toys, blankie, whatever with him when he’s visiting?

Are there dogs at the other houses? When your sister leaves your dog, does she also leave her dog in the house? Do you know for sure which dog is acting up?

Why is it her responsibility to train your dog?

I would either crate-train him so that she can crate him when she’s not at home, or board him at a kennel when I traveled in the future.

It’s really not a big deal

1. Apologize

2. Replace and/or pay her for any damage he did to her material things

3. In the future take him to a kennel where professional dog handlers know how to deal with challenging pets

Having a pet is nice but a sister is a bit more important. So in the future, find a kennel and you’re problem is solved.

What was your process in determining that he was terrified of the crate? What kind of crate was it?

If he’s been left with other people and not caused any problems why do you keep leaving him with your sister?

Is it possible that he is just growing weary of being dropped with other people while you travel? And acting out as a result?

Why do you have a dog anyway, if you have to pawn him off to others so frequently? Maybe find him a stable home with people who won’t be away so much. Perhaps he’s just not a dog who can handle being shuffled about to accommodate your schedule?

This would be my suggestion as well.

Is he getting as much exercise with your sister as he does with you?

It was an enclosed one and if I try to go that route starting next year, I’ll try an open (wire) one.

Yes I brought some favorite toys as well as some mind-tasking toys that should curb any mental anxiety. At home a treat-ball (hide a treat inside - he’ll spend 30 minutes or so working at it, and then go to sleep)
She can’t find the ball anymore.
I try to leave him with dog owners. If only because they know how to handle a dog (and read his signals)

Why her? She and her family loves him except for this one problem. I watch their dog every time they leave town which is much more often. I’m not sure where in my post it’s conveyed that I travel a lot. I take one trip during the winter holidays. This year added a Thanksgiving trip. I take a few long weekends (maybe 3) scattered throughout the year. I can’t imagine that I travel too much to own a dog.

And yes she took him for a hike they day this happened and even his bum leg (He tore out a toenail and has been hopping on the good ones when it gets tired or hurting) didn’t keep him from getting good and tired.

1. Apologize to the sister for any inconvenience caused

2. Offer to pay for any necessary repairs or replacement of items.

3. Seek alternative lodgings for your pet next time you travel.

Define destroyed, please.

I haven’t been over to see but he scratches at the door they leave through. For me he just sleeps there. So when my key hits the door he wakes up. But destroyed is probably overstating. I think the damage is limited to the garage door and possibly the floor next to it.

If my dog destroyed anyone’s house, I’d be MORTIFIED. the last thing I’d do is question what THEY didn’t do right. Your dog. Your responsibility.

I’m amazed that you think they’ll be a next time. I’ll just echo what everyone else has said: Apologize. Pay for the damages. Find a new place to board him next time.

A. That isn’t what I asked. What actually happened to make you believe the dog was afraid of the crate?
B. Enclosed crates are better than open crates; think of it like a doghouse. So its being enclosed was not the problem, as you assume.

You need to get the dog back in a crate. How, specifically, did this fail the first time around?

He wouldn’t go in the crate for any reason. Food, toys, bedding. He would go in to retrieve something and then dart right out. (I wasn’t manning the door or anything, he would just look around and bolt) Or if I held him in there and pet him, he would take it and then run at first chance.
He was a pound puppy and my personal theory was that the previous owner put him in a crate and left him in a dark room for a long period of time. (I think the dark room, because he is also afraid of silhouettes. Like you might see if you opened a door to a dark room with a lit hallway behind you) This before taking him to the pound at 5 months where I found him.
Later on I taught him the command ‘bed’ which would tell him to go sleep on his bed. But I never tried to work this in with another crate.

When I start again I think that command will help.

Where did I suggest that?

When I watch someone’s dog, I have to train them not to eat out of my dog’s bowl when I put them down. I have to train them where it’s acceptable to go and not. I should expect a dog to come to my house and not act like a dog? If the children were poking him in the eyes and pulling his tail is it my fault if he were to bite? What if they are drawing out their goodbyes and leave him yapping at the door? Or not getting him enough exercise before leaving? Or not getting him enough mental exercise?
Aren’t those all causes of separation anxiety? (I don’t know if those are occurring, just what-ifs)

I agree that this is bad, and there will be repercussions. I understand that he is not going to go there again without a crate which is going to take probably 6-18 months to get right.

A pic of the damage.
http://tinypic.com/r/9bkdpv/6

But that’s not really training. I mean, the person caring for it should keep it supervised around children and exercise it. I don’t think they should be training him not to bite or to not yap if they’re “drawing out their goodbyes.”

It also doesn’t seem like the dog destroyed the house, but rather that he damaged the door.

Sure it is. It’s teaching the dog what the customs and expecations of the house are. It’s also getting the sister and her family accustomed to anything specific about the dog that might need to be addressed (just like if a dog required a special diet, or required to be in a crate for any period of time).

Yup - no one has ever exaggerated anything on these boards before. Lock him up. I can only imagine how much attention a thread entitled “My dog has created minor scratches on my sister’s door” would get…

My dog much prefers a wire crate to an enclosed plastic crate. He is a shelter puppy and was kept in a plastic crate at night, as were all un-housetrained dogs at that shelter. I couldn’t understand why he kept peeing in the plastic crate, but when he was kept in one overnight, it was the only place for him to go, and he learned to pee in it.

After a month of frustration, I bought a wire crate, and all is well. It was the problem, in my case. I think some dogs just like a more open crate.