My friend is bumming me out, talking about suicide

This is a really weird guy that I met online about 8 or 9 years ago. I’ve posted about him here before.

I’ve met him in person a few times, but the most recent has been about 4 years ago now IIRC. We keep in touch on and off on the internet. Mostly he talks and I listen.

He always has something either really weird or just downright disturbing to say. This is our conversation that is going on right now:

This is an ongoing conversation so I might post more later.

This guy live in Miami, I don’t know his phone number or address and I know for sure that he wouldn’t give it to me if I asked right now so I feel pretty much powerless in the conversation.

I’m pretty confident that he won’t kill himself in the immediate future, but with talk like this it sure seems like he might do it someday.

I’d recommend exploring this message board, even if you don’t post there - it’s intended for friends/family of people with such problems.

How is going right now, if you’re still talking? I don’t know what to say. Just that I’ve been in his shoes more than I’ve been in yours, sadly, and I hope you keep your sanity through this. Get some dirt on him as time goes on. Address, phone number, etc. A quick trip to the hospital will set him straight. Keep a log of all IMs, as you are doing now, for evidence to get him admitted if necesary. This applies for all conversations, not just now.

Re: “screw the nc trip” - A few days ago he was talking about going to Raleigh, NC to spy on RedHat.

I’m telling you this guy is out there. I’m still concerned about him though.

This is probably going to be an unpopular thing to say but I’m going to say it anyway. There are limits to what you can do for this person, and you have a greater responsibility to your own well-being than you have to his. I’m not suggesting that you not do everything that you can for him but I know from some similar experiences that it is very easy to get trapped in someone else’s psychodrama. Be careful. Good luck.