my own private IDAHO

Has anyone seen this movie?? I watched it last night and thought it was brilliant

Moderator’s Notes: This thread belongs in our Café Society forum. If you read the front page of the message board, you will see descriptions of proper content for each of our forums. The blurb for Café Society says “Our salon for art, drama, literature, movies, music – all the artistic disciplines – if it’s about art or entertainment, it goes here.” Couldn’t be clearer. Please familiarize yourself with the others. This is the second thread of yours in two days that I’ve had to move.

Thank you.

“It looks like a fucked up face”

“Four portions of french fries…very crisy”

It’s loosely based on one of Shakespeare’s Henrys…ack…can’t remember which one.

I miss River Phoenix.

Henry IV, Part I.

The first time I saw this movie, I was flipping channels and hit upon the sex scene - just the blanket shaking. I was betting he was in there by himself. Then the scene went on, and I thought “Holy Shit, is that Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix?”

The second time I saw it, my high school English teacher played one of the Henry parts for my class. It was quite an interesting contrast. :smiley:

• Okay, I am reviving this thread because I asked once about the B-52’s song and nobody at the time even ventured a guess: what the hell does it mean to have “your own private Idaho”?
        ~
  • I don’t know if I ever saw the movie or not, so I don’t know if there’s any obvious connection between the two… - DougC

I always believed it meant a big open space all to yourself, with nobody else around. Kind of a back-to-nature privacy fantasy, I suppose.

Actually, I think being in “your own private idaho” is a euphemism for being in a “state” of depression/angst/loneliness. That’s what the lyrics seem to say, anyway. It starts out by saying “beware of the pool… blue bottomles pool…” The bottomless whirlpool is what’s trapping the person in their present “state.”

and

At least, that’s my interpretation. Kind of a pun on the word “state.”