My tevas are dead. Recommend rugged sport sandals?

After a few too many rough canoe trips and rocky hikes, my faithful footwear of twelve years has given up.

I’m looking for something simple, quick-drying, and durable as can be.

Any recommendations? (Oh, they need to have size 15s too)

Times had an article today testing a number of sports sandals

I’d see if Merrill still has sports sandals. The pair I had (years ago) had a great arch in them, were ruggedly built, and seemed to dry out fairly quickly. I bought a pair of Timberlands, and there’s no arch in them. This for a guy who wears orthotics.

If you’ve had 12 years of faithful service from your Teva’s, why aren’t you buying a replacement pair of the same brand?

I have a pair of these and like them better than my Tevas. They are lighter and have a buckle release instead of velcro. Mine are two years old and are wearing very well.

Sadly they only go up to size 13.

NRS Pursuit sandals

All the Teva’s that I have looked at in stores around here don’t impress me much. It looked to me like the brands had taken a nose dive. Perhaps anyone else can confirm or deny this?

I’m joinigng the Peace Corps, and it seems like most the volunteers swear by Chacos.

I have a pair of Chacos that I love. Very high arch on them though, and no cushy give.

The Teva brand is owned by Deckers Outdoor Corp, and local Santa Barbara company. I know many people who work or have worked there in management positions. Deckers made a business decision a few years ago to change from a very technical sandal to a cheaper mass market sandal. Most of their best designers left shortly after that. This decision coincided with a particular patent going end of life so they had to compete with cheap knockoffs.

Trivia #1: Deckers is not only the sole marketer of Teva sandals but also of Ugg Boots and Simple Shoes.

Trivia #2: Teva is pronounced Teh-Vah (not Tee-Vah). It was named for the Hebrew word for nature.

Thirding the Chacos. Love them.

I’m not a heavy user, but my Keens seem to have good arch, traction, and fit. Not the lightest ever, or very packable though

Chacos have two footbed styles. The one with the higher arch is more commonly seen. The other one has a lower arch and is flatter overall. Most folks seem to prefer the first one–even those who have naturally low arches–but I know a lot of folks who prefer the other one. But don’t think that you need the “wider” style because you have wide feet or low arches. I have wide feet and my husband has low arches, and we both prefer the regular ones. Try them both on.

Chacos are so far superior to any Tevas I’ve ever seen that it’s not even funny. There’s a reason that all the river guides wear them. The advantages include having no velcro and a strap design that is a model of efficient simplicity. Plus they are much much MUCH more durable. They can even be resoled. (I’ve had one of my pairs done.)

I’ve been wearing them for over a decade. They rock.

Apparently, they go up to mens’ size 14. Try on the 14s. If they don’t work, call Chaco. I have no idea if they’d do custom sizes, but it’s worth a try.

Chacos Chacos Chacos Chacos Chacos Chacos Chacos :smiley: Chacos

Just last weekend I saw a pair of this variety at an outdoor store, and I could only keep myself from buying them by looking at the perfectly good pair already on my feet.

You must at least look at ‘Keen’ sandles. Very tough.

Well, I have settled on the Chacos. Now I just hope they don’t give me Jacob Crutchfield Disease.

Crocs. I win.

Seriously, though, they’re great and comfy shoes. Maybe not as rugged as you want, but they’re still grand.

Seconded. I love my crocs. Ugliest things I’ve ever set eyes on, and madly trendy. But unholy comfy. I find myself wearing them around the house rather than going barefoot because they are THAT comfy. Plus, I can walk a few miles in them and not feel even a hint of “tired feet”.

They’re not even ultra trendy here. The nursing community seems to get in on the ground floor of comfy footwear.

I like my crocs too, but I don’t see them as in the same family as ‘sport sandals’. I would’t take my crocs hiking or backpacking, unless it was for something to wear around base camp. Even then, with backpack space at a premium, my Chacos would certainly occupy my ‘footwear other than hiking boots’ slot.

Have you considered making your own sandals by recycling automobile tires?

Considering you’ll need a size 15 (I’m a fellow 15’er myself, and WIDE to boot!) this might be the way to go!

Well, at least, it’s a conversation-starter!