My world has come to an end or college football will never be the same.

So yesterday while waiting for my Sweetie at the mall, I went into the local B Dalton to browse. I love these places and could spend (and have spent) hours in them. But yesterday I had just a few minutes so I headed over to the magazine rack to see what’s there.

AHA!!! The latest pre-season polls are out. I grab the Sporting News with trembling hands; trembling, because my beloved Cornhuskers suffered a nuclear meltdown last year, going through their worst season in 41 years. Several national records were ended, such as consecutive years in Top 10, 9-win seasons, hell, winning seasons, etc… But one always wants to know, to have some idea of what to expect. So despite my fears, I turn the pages.

Auburn #1…ehh

Ohio State #2…well, at least my friend Brett will be happy

…skips Top 10, knowing bad news will be upcoming…
…
…
…
What th?..not even in the Top 25?!
Can’t be…can’t be…
I stifle a soft moan of despair and steel myself to the terrible task. You can do this, you can do this…
I flip the page and scan further.

…
…
…

ohmygod
36th

My Sweetie found me curled up in the corner, weeping uncontrollably, while nervous employees hovered nearby. She took me home and tucked me into bed, where I curled up in a fetal position, shivering and shaking.
This will be the longest college football season I will have ever endured.

Cowboy fan here.

I know exactly how you feel.

Old videotape is your friend.

sigh
I have the championship seasons on hand, but I’m afraid of wearing them out…

How do you keep the Cornhuskers out of your front yard ?

Put up a Goal post.

Seriously, what did you expect coming off a bad season, and with a major staff shakeup yet to be blooded ? This’d be a great year for them to take on the Badgers again.

Awright!

war DAMN eagle

At least SI won’t rate you number 1. That’s a sure way to get your ass kicked during the season… (Says the OSU Beavers fan)

How do you get a Huskers cheerleader into your dorm room?

Grease her hips and push like hell.

What does the “N” on a Husker’s helmet stand for?

Knowledge

GO TROJANS! :slight_smile:


Email: Obfuscating communication for over a decade!

Hey, buck up, buddy. I went to Duke. :frowning:

I went to Columbia, and our football team didn’t win a single game during my 4 years there.

So, unless you went to Prairie View A & M, you can cry me a f***ing river over your football team, and you won’t get ANY sympathy!

Hah! I’m glad the Huskers are losing. I hope they never appear in the rankings again!

Gorsnak, Michigan fan still bitter about that %%@# fluke TD against Mizzou in '97 :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a rebuilding year (UF). Every year I just hope that the football news stays in the sports section and off of the A Section. That’s the paramount consideration, IMO.

Actual football considerations, this year I’m hoping true freshmen can perform :eek:. I’ve already resigned myself to a couple games over .500. I’m trying not to be that fan that wants to fire the coach and has a stroke every game.

Anyone with sympathy for the Huskers? Anyone? The Huskers deserve a down decade. Yeah, I remember [sub]62-21[/sub]. Another reason you’ll get no sympathy. Perhaps some Gator tears.

Hey, for Father’s Day I just got my Dad a tape of the 1959 Husker-Sooners game. Huskers can come back from a lousy season.

Try being a University of Kentucky student. We suck at virtually every sport that isn’t basketball, and we’ve got a new football coach, reduced scholarships, and a quarterback that could block for himself. This is shaping up to be another 2-9 season, unless we can get lucky on defense (we have no DBs).

There are sports other than basketball?

Try being a Johns Hopkins student.

We suck at everything except lacrosse, and no-one gives a shit except the lacrosse players. :smiley:

Incidentally- while it may be painful to get blown out by the likes of Miami and Colorado, that’s NOTHING compared to the ignonimy of getting stomped 45-0 by Princeton, Brown, Yale, Bucknell and Lehigh, as the Columbia Lions regularly do!

What’s basketball?:confused:

No other way!!!

Weagle weagle

Being the Oklahoma Sooner fan that I am, I can understand your pain ,Toaster.
After livung through the hell that was Sooner footbal of the Nineties I thought the glory days were gone forever. But we finally got the right people in place and turned the depression around. :smiley:
The Huskers will be back. You can count on it. I believe it will be this year. Good luck.