Name my new lab!

I was adopted today. I was in between doctor appointments, and stopped at a little park with a duckpond. It was a beautiful day, and I was enjoying the breeze, watching the ducks. Nobody was around.

I saw a dog across the pond, splashing in the water, chasing the ducks. It made me smile! She ran around aimlessly, just enjoying the day. She came up to me, and jumped on me with her muddy paws. Then she ran around some more. Other people pulled up, assuming she was my dog. She had no collar.

I called my husband. We have been thinking about getting a black lab, to replace his old dog Dawgie, that he left (with a good friend) in Florida. Dawgie passed away last summer. He didn’t answer.

I sat in my car, thinking about taking her home. She came up to me, and smelled me again, and proceeded to crawl over me and get in the car! I took it as a sign. We will, however, be driving around tomorrow looking for missing dog notices.

We also have Blaze. He’s a 10 year old Sheltie.

Here she is. She looks to be about one or two years old. Great health, and she knows how to sit. She probably belongs to someone, but just in case…

What would you call her? I’m leaning towards Patty - since she found me on St. Patty’s Day. Maybe Lucy…?

(Is there any way to tell if a dog has been spayed?)

Boy, that sure was disjointed! She wanted to play while I was typing, and I got distracted. My husband finally did answer, and he’s not unhappy.

Blaze is awful curious, and won’t leave her alone. He hasn’t been socialized much with other dogs, but I think they will be ok.

She’s so purty!

I thought you meant a science lab. I was looking forward to naming a science lab.

She looks beautiful! I hope this winds up a happy relationship for everyone.

Just to be on the safe side, please also take her to a vert and have her scanned for a microchip. Some dogs are good at getting out of their collars, and she looks like a dog who has been cared for.

My name would be Erin Go Bark. Also in honor of the day, of course. :slight_smile:

Oh, and if a vert can’t scan for a microchip, you could take her to a vet.

How about Becky? (Rebeccah is too many syllables for a dog’s name…)

How 'bout Ducks, as in chasing the ducks that first caught your attention?

How about Meth ?

Erm, what?

Keep 'em coming, folks!

Dexter!

I had the same reaction. I need to think of a name for my lab- never occured to me to name it!

We have a sheltie too, almost one-year old. Sheltie’s are great, but man can she bark!! Does Blaze bark a lot?

Good luck with the new puppy- I think Patty (girl) or Paddy (boy) is a great name!

How about Raven ? She is a very beautiful black .

Meth Lab, as in “crystal meth”

You could name her Crystal- subtle joke!

Just don’t name her John Jacob Jinglehiemer Schmidt.

That’s my name. :slight_smile:

Hey, that’s my name, too!

She’s a beautiful dog!

Patty or Paddy works for me. If she gets to stay with you, she’s got the luck of the Irish! Ducks is also great, as it’s a term of endearment my mother used to use. “Ducks” or sometimes “Loverducks”.

Clover is taken, but Shamrock might work! :slight_smile: Darcy is an Irish name for someone with dog hair. Er, dark hair. As is Kerry. (At least according to a website.) Brenna = raven, and a black lab is, um, black like a raven.

I hope she gets to stay with you, or at least, you find her worried family.

You know whenever you go out, the people always shout.

You could name the dog “Edwina P. Murrow Memorial Science Lab”… Winnie for short. :slight_smile:

Hm. I don’t have a name suggestion, but I just want to say, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. She’s SO cute!

Another Lab fan here. In addition to checking for a microchip, please also check out the lost and found sections of local papers, and “Lost Dog” flyers that may be posted near where you found her. Some newspapers print L&F ads at no charge. Someone may be desperately searching for his dog.

If you get to keep her, I vote for choosing an obscure people name. (I have Hugo now, and used to have Otis.) If you go with the March 17 thing, you are faced with the fact that Irish names are trendy now (for American kids), so finding something obscure may be a challenge.

“Guinness” is fitting, but overused for black Labs, at least around here.