need to recreate an old recipe for peanut butter balls

Opal, I’m not your enemy.

The day before yesterday, I coaxed a big Red Heifer over from the herd and fed her tangerines. I then went home and made chili con carne. I ate a big red bowl of spice and guilt.

She had some calves too… but she was herefordshire breeding stock, she was valuable… she’s going to have a happy life.

I guess I got offended and you hit a nerve. Sorry…

But seriously, I have never seen a dead deer’s eyes in real life. I have fed and looked into the eyes of live deers in real life, and that is magical. But I fear their fate to this day.

::: Moderator interjects :::

First: NO PERSONAL INSULTS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. Cool it.

Second: this thread is about recipes for peanut butter balls. Comments pro- or con- vegetarianism, comments about botanic naming conventions, etc are off-track. You want to be helpful, provide recipes. That’s what this forum is about.

You want to attack or defend vegetarianism, go to Great Debates. You want to insult Opal or anyone else, go to the Pit.

All I said was that the name squicks me out. Sorry if that just ruins your whole day, but it’s the way it is. CK doesn’t want to close it so you guys can do what you want. I’m removing my subscription and will not be visiting this thread again, nor will I be visiting the apparent pit thread started in my honor. (Why the hell would I?) Knock yourselves out.

Thank you, those who provided recipes.

Finally! devilsknew gets the thanks he deserves

Probably pointless by now, but: huh, all the recipes call for graham cracker crumbs. The ones Mom makes have Rice Krispies in 'em. Gives 'em a bit of texture.

I still don’t get the reference to dead-animal-body-parts, though. And why you never said thanks for the recipes until just now. Guess we’ll never know…

Buckeye.

Buck. Eye. Eye of buck. Buck as in a deer. Not doe, a deer, a female deer but buck, a deer, a male deer.

And marsey-dotes and doesy-dotes and little lambsy-divey.

Or “Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.”

My version works better. You see … it was a little bit of a joke there. Some levity to lighten the situation. As in my explanation sounded nursery-rhymish. Hence the marsey-dotes bit.

Work with me here, people.

A kid’ll eat ivy, too.

Wouldn’t you?

Les Nessman, five-time winner of the Peanut Butter Ball News-Hawk Award…
…nah.

I like you! I really, really like you!

All this bickering about buckeyes, and my thought when I saw the thread title was “how long before a post exploits the double-entendre possibilities of ‘peanut butter balls’?”

Y’all are getting too serious and clean-minded these days.

That’s the recipe my mom (and her mom) always used. I would think graham cracker crumbs would make them mealy. The Rice Krispies add a nice crunchy texture.

Isn’t it interesting that “buckeyes” is considered grossly anatomical, but peanut butter “BALLS” is not.:rolleyes:

We could just call them Bon Bons.
Unless … is that derogatory to Bonobos?

Because of this thread, I actually made this recipe last night, and whatever you care to call them, they were magically delicious. Thank you for the recipe devilsknew!

Or as any true Ohio person would call it, buckery.

My friend Susie calls them reindeer balls when she makes them at this time of year.

I also add some chopped up marschino cherries as well.