need to recreate an old recipe for peanut butter balls

In the middle so when you bite into it you get some nice red goo? Hey, strawberry jam might work too.

Actually not for goo, just for the taste of cherries. it wasn’t until this thread I’d ever heard of them called buckeyes, I always just called them “chocolate peanut butter balls”.

Ok, just to stay on topic here and to switch to culinary mode. I conceed that there might be a slight difference between “Peanut Butter Balls” and “Buckeyes”. But that difference is purely cosmetic… they are made of the same ingredients, the difference being that the “Buckeye” is only three quarters dipped in chocolate to leave the “peanut butter pupil”, whereas a "peanut butter ball might be fully dipped and enrobed in chocolate to resemble a demoneye.

It’s pretty interesting to note that a buckeye in any form doesn’t really resemble a deer eye, as the deer eye has a dark pupil and a brown cornea… just the opposite in concentric coloring of a buckeye

Maybe deer eyes looked different in the olden days? Deers of yore probably started shedding those old eyes and grew new ones that looked less like buckeyes (the nut or confection) as a defense mechanism lest someone try to eat their eyes mistaking them for yummy peanut butter confections.

Recipe, please?

I remember my mom making them with paraffin wax for some reason.

Most recipes call for paraffin, to keep the chocolate from getting too soft at room temperature, I believe.

Or a little bit of an almond cream filling, perhaps?

I was inspired by this thread and my girlfriend and I spent the evening making buckeyes. If there is any objection to the term, we found that sticky, salty, black balls worked well too. I imagine we’ll be gobbling these yummy balls all weekend.

…we also put the graham crackers in chocolate as well as the peanut butter mixture. They looked a little rough, but had a delicious crust around them

So we have some smooth black balls, and some prickly black balls.

Why not just enclose a Hershey’s cherry kiss, a maraschino cherry, a fresh brandy soaked cherry, or a chocolate covered cherry in the center of the Peanut Butter Ball (conf. sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla.). Dip in a Dark Chocolate and Cream Ganache for the OSU vs. UM game.
Not a lot of people know that Michigan is a major Cherry Producing State.

If you decide to refrigerate your balls and then take them out and let them sit at room temperature you should be aware that your balls might get sweaty. Some people may not mind but it’s not as aesthetically pleasing as smooth, dry balls.

Because it is ganache, it will take to adherents… Roll the Demoneyes in Cocoa Powder or Coconut, or Almonds, or maybe graham cracker crumbs.

Yes, but a lot of people find it very enjoyable to put some warm, sweaty balls in their mouth and suck them.

I make Schwetty Balls every Christmas, and they are a big hit.

Crazy!

I guess I’m just dense, but I never before made the connection between “Buckeye” and the actual eye of an actual buck. To me it always meant the nut or the OSU football team.

PB balls look like the nut, not like the eye.

And near the seashore where there is a lot of salt in the air some of the condensation could precipitate salt crystals to form on the balls. So you could take them inside, let them dry out, and then you’ve got salty chocolate balls. I hear the late Isaac Hayes had some great chocolate salty balls, but they weren’t as good a creation as his “Theme from Shaft” So, on the Isaac Hayes accomplishment scale goes.

Shaft
Chocolate Salty Balls

Enjoy,
Steven

We don’t call 'em buckeyes, and you’re right, Big Black Balls do look like nuts. Thankfully we don’t offend anyone when we carefully lick these delicious treats. I plan on giving them out in little gift bags this year. I know my mom will love a sack of black balls.