New Puppies, Questions about Vet Care

A week or so ago I posted a thread in IMHO about the litter of doxie puppies we were expecting in a few weeks. (Sorry, I’m not savvy enough to link to it.) Well, our timing being a bit off, they came sooner than what we expected. The first one was born at 6 am yesterday morning and the 5th, and last, came around 11:30 am. They all appear to be extremely healthy and mom came through just fine.

My question, at what age to we take them for their first visit with the vet? Will they get shots then or just a check up and a follow up appointment for vaccinations? What about mom? She’s up to date on all her shots, I assume she would just need a check up, right?

Thanks for any help!

The bitch should be checked now, unless you are absolutely sure her uterus is empty. The puppies should have their dewclaws removed (if you so desire) at 3 to 5 days of age. They should be dewormed with an appropriate anthelmentic on whatever schedule your veterinarian advocates. They should be vaccinated at around 6, 9, and 12 weeks of age. In my practice I usually advise OHE/castration at the time of the 12 week vaccines.

Thank you! I will get an appointment with the vet right away.