New soft drink thread: Fentimans Dandelion and Burdock

Over the weekend I found Fentimans Dandelion and Burdock soft drink at a store in Chicago. Naturally, I had to try it and figured “how bad can it be?”

I was surprised to find it wasn’t that bad. It had a strong licorice flavor with a fruity aftertaste. Sort of like cough syrup but not as strong. I probably won’t buy it again, but it wasn’t too bad. Not like Kvas, which I tried a couple of months ago. Bleech. The bottle is still sitting there with only a couple of sips gone. I should probably get rid of it one of these days.

Has anybody else ever tried this drink, or a similar one? Or any others you’d like to talk about here?

Dandelion and burdock drinks are fairly common in commonwealth countries.

FYI, we drink them because they make you pee a lot, and sometimes that’s a good thing.

No argument there Larry. Do they all contain aniseed, or are there variations?

I luuuuurve Dandelion & Burdock; AFAIK, they don’t contain aniseed - the aniseed/licorice flavour is from the burdock root.

I suppose it’s the cultural equivalent of rootbeer.

Some D&B drinks up here contain fennel for extra licoriciousness.

I may be wrong, because I don’t have the bottle in front of me, but I’m pretty sure aniseed was listed among the ingredients.

I loooooove root beer. Right now I’m drinking a Boylan’s. Excellent brand. Slightly licorice, with a subtle maple aftertaste.

blinks

It’s not just a booby prize from the Tombola Man, on Neopets? It’s real?

I have learned something today.

Fentimans D&B does contain a small amout of aniseed, it’s listed as the last ingrediant. But Mangetout is correct, the main flavour comes from the root of the Burdock plant.

I think it’s yummy, I’m really glad that Fentimans have re-introduced it!