New York Jets...I think we need to take a break.

Dear New York Jets,

I want to start by saying we’ve had some great times. I’ve really gotten a lot out of our relationship. I know there have been tough times, and we got through them together. There was some pain…legendary amounts of pain (Marino’s fake spike?) but I never wavered. Then, within the last ten years you showed me something. The arrival of Bill Parcells (stolen from the rival Pats even!) brought a new culture to Weeb Ewbank hall. There was a giddy feeling at the start of every season that the Jets were…dare I say…a force to be reckoned with. It was like standing by my team for all those years had started to pay off. Sure, 1999 was a disaster, and Bill walked away. Sure Mr. Belicheck remained the HC of the NYJ for one day…the day he quit. Sure, Al Groh didn’t seem too bad, but the call of his alma mater was a great one…I guess I can live with that. The arrival of rookie head coach Herm Edwards seemed like a good choice. Ya know what? He had some issues but I think he was becoming one of the good ones. True, there was that knee he had the team take in the Steeler’s game last year to push our field goal unit back a few yards but…Why the hell would you do that?!?!?!…Ahem…I’m not writing this to be negative. I’m writing this because I think it’s time for a change.

I think it would be better if we started to see other people.

This latest episode between Kansas City & Herm is just insane. I think you, as a team, need to take some time to work on some of your issues. How can I love the New York Jets when you don’t even love yourself? You seemed pre-occupied with this big-time west side stadium this past season…was that going to be a stadium for us? I don’t think so. I think you were trying to woo richer, more corporate fans with that move. What have you done for us? I think I’ve been a good fan. I’ve been buying merchandise & tickets, I even shop at places that advertise with the Jets. I bought a Mawae jersey the day he signed! I had to have that custom made, you know.

Anyway, as I was saying…I think we need some time apart to figure out a few things. If you want to attract a different kind of fan, I understand. There are a lot of Bengal’s fans who might not be enjoying the new found success of their team, you might want to look into nabbing a few of them. Making me go through a day the way I had to go through yesterday was just too much to bear. Is Herm the coach you want? Does he want to go to KC? Is Herm a huge liar? Is Bradway? As a longtime fan I had a lot of questions yesterday, and I didn’t hear a peep from you. Are you embarrassed that the Chiefs offered you 2 crappy picks for your coach because they knew you had already poisoned the well with him & he wasn’t coming back so you’re basically screwed because KC can get him for** nothing** when you** fire him**?!?!?!? What the hell is wrong with you??? Sorry. But really…would giving Herm an extension after his 3rd playoff appearance in 5 years, a playoff run that included a one-armed QB, among other personnel issues, been so hard? For that matter, can Terry Bradway draft a pro bowl player who actually plays for our team? I’m just not ready to go back to the pre-1997 days of being a Jets fan.

I’m sorry again…I don’t want to pile on criticism right now. I know you’re going through some stuff. I think a break might do us both some good. I hope you get everything worked out, and maybe we could try again sometime in the future.

Oh…and just so you don’t hear it from someone else, I’ve got a date this Sunday. I’ll be wearing a blue #21 jersey.