NFC West 2009

Week 4 is too early for a bye week, but I bet the Cardinals are glad to see it. They can hopefully come back with 100% healthy Boldin and Breaston. 1-2 isn’t a season killer; the Cards were 2-2 last year coming off the debacle loss against the Jets when Boldin took that horrible hit.

Not until after the 2011 season at least, and probably not until the 2013 season. He has the option to void the last two years of the extension he signed in 2007 if he hits certain performance targets.

Dallas loses another one they should have won. UGH!

To top it off, I posted this in the wrong thread! :smack:

The 49ers win one they had to win. I missed the first half because the cable went out, but the second half was entertaining at the sports bar.

Special thanks to Peyton Manning for continuing to defeat NFC West opponents.

I’m feeling pretty good about the Niners this season. I’m much looking forward to the Eagles game - not sure who I’ll pull for. Probably just for all the players to have fun :slight_smile: And if they don’t win the West, it’lll be a disaster. Kurt Warner could turn the Cards around, I suppose, but I’ll be surprised if they win 9.

Joe

A Chronicle article claimed the 49ers could win the West with a 6-10 record. I’ve predicted a 10-6 record, but that’s not to say 6-10 wouldn’t do it.

The same article noted that if you take away Gore’s two long TD runs against Seattle, the 49ers are averaging only 2.5 yards per run play. Has Raye never heard of running out of three-receiver sets?

I think you need to have a third receiver to run three-receiver formations. Anyway, it’s not that surprising and shouldn’t be worrying, considering you’ve played above-average run defenses (other than St. Louis) and your backup has effectively started two out of four games.

Plus, St. Louis was down big during the second half so they were selling out against the run.

I think the Rams are that level bad, the Seahawks and Cards are both casualties of injuries at key positions. The Niners are doing well on the ground too considering that eveyone they faced has been overstacking or run blitzing nearly constantly to take away Gore. Still we do need better play at tackle.

As a suffering Seahawks fan, I just want to say that I saw this season last year. Of all seasons to make me relive, does it really have to be the frustrating injury plague and even more disappointing on field performances of 2008? Ugh.

As for the rest of the division, I agree with the general consensus. I think the Niners are a pretty solid football team. The Cardinals are around .500, and the Rams are … picking very high in next Spring’s draft.

ESPN.com is reporting that Michael Crabtree and his [del]stinking[/del] agent are heading to the Bay Area for negotiations. [del]Douchebag[/del] Deion Sanders also indicated something might be brewing.

As for the tampering, Kevin Lynch of the Chronicle said “I’ve heard Crabtree’s contract demands went up for no apparent reason in the middle of the negotiations…” indicating to him that Crabtree was getting action from elsewhere.

Does anyone know how Kurt Warner is doing? I know he was considered dinged up after being knocked around by the Colts.

Wow, looking at the Rams offense I am at a loss as to how you even could salvage it this season. Two WRs who couldn’t even cut it on a practice squad before the season is not the answer though. Harrison is out there still, couldn’t they sign him for 1 year? Even at 50% he would still be head and shoulders above the rest of the reciever corps. I wonder if he is dodging their phone calls.

You get what you deserve. The Seahawks deserve to suck for not doing anything to upgrade their backup quarterback situation despite knowing Hasselbeck would be playing through a back injury. Seneca Wallace proved last year that he can’t win more than one game for you.

Why would they bother signing him? They can’t protect their quarterbacks, so it’s not going to matter who runs routes, and Harrison won’t sign for less than near top dollar, despite his clearly diminished skills.

Thanks for taking TJ Douchemanzadeh off my team’s hands. I wonder if he still thinks that he and Hasselbeck are both going to the Probowl?

So a Rams team with two LBs and a four placeholders trades away one of thier starting LBs for a 6th round WR who was 7th on the Eagles depth chart and a crappy draft pick? If they wanted to go 0-16 couldn’t they just forfit the rest of the season and spare us the pain?

I guess Steve Spagnuolo went to the Eric Mangini school of improving a former employer at the expense of your current one.

Witherspoon is 29, and he’s not exactly a guy you build a defense around. Chances are he wouldn’t have been much use by the time the team gets good (2 years, minimum).

Instead, you get a 5th round pick and a young wideout with potential. Seems like a smart move to me; at 0-6 and riding an 18 (?) game losing streak, stockpiling draft picks makes perfect sense.

That Johnny Knox guy who’s the Bears de facto #1 wideout? He was a fifth round pick this year.

Tim Hightower, Orlando Scandrick and Owen Schmitt were all drafted in the 5th round in 2008, and are all starters for the teams that drafted them.

Steve Breaston*, Kevin Boss, David Clowney, Brent Celek, William Gay and Dante Rosario are all currently starting for teams that drafted them in the first round in 2007.

I’m sure a bunch of other current starters came from the fifth round in the last three drafts, but those are the ones I knew. See where I’m going with this?

*Breaston is the Cards’ third wideout, of course, but they run a three-wide base offense.