NFL 2020: Week 12

Jerry Jones is the problem for Dallas. There’s no overcoming a bad GM or a bad owner.

A bad GM can usually be fired, of course. But, when that GM is also the owner…

It’s Jerry Jones’ desire to take credit for losing and to pin the blame on the coaching staff and his players attitudes’ when they lose.

I felt for a long time that Garrett probably coached as well as anyone could in Dallas, and even though I don’t necessarily consider him an elite coach, he might actually have gotten better results than coaches who are better because Garrett understood how the Cowboys’ organization worked under Jones. He knew where his boundaries were, going back to his days as a player for Jimmy Johnson.

I think you mean winning?

I don’t understand why anyone thought hiring the guy who had Aaron Rodgers for a decade and only won one Super Bowl was an upgrade.

I mean, I get it, one superstar QB is not enough on his own, but still, there’s only 3-5 of those guys playing at any one time and if you have one, you’re already WAAAAAAYYY out in front of everyone else, and he still couldn’t even get the Packers back into a second SB. And yeah, injuries blah blah blah; everyone has injuries.

lol, yeah. I blame Jerry Jones anytime I lose on SDMB.

Kenny Stills being released by Houston. Haven’t heard any knucklehead news, maybe it really is just to see if he catches on with a playoff team.
https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1332405408825298944?s=20

Ravens/Steelers moving tentatively to Tuesday now

I’m of two minds on this. On one hand, it sucks to hold a team responsible for the actions of a few and football should be determined on the field, but on the other hand, fuck the Ravens for violating Covid precautions. If they can’t get their shit together enough to put a team on the field, fuck 'em they should forfeit.

I guess waiting until Tuesday is a middle ground.

That game was awful.

You are down 20-16 with 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter. It’s 4th and 10 and you’re on your own 24 yard line. This is not the time for a fake punt. You aren’t desperate, and you don’t have much to gain by getting the first down at this point. Just punt the damn ball, you have plenty of time left.

Instead you do a fake and end up with a 1 yard loss. You hand it to Washington where it’s almost the red zone. You go on to give up 3 TDs and not score over the last 12 minutes.

That’s awful decision-making. That’s 100% on the coach. Dallas has a lot of problems and getting a new coach won’t fix the team, but he is one of the problems.

That game was awesome. Love seeing the “Team” go into Dallas and kick their sorry ass.

Sorry, awful for Dallas. Seeing “America’s Team” look pitiful on a Thanksgiving is somewhat awesome in a general sense, yes. Especially against another bad team.

The vindictive jerk in me agrees with you, but the problem with this approach would be if it encourages shenanigans where positive tests aren’t reported (or tests are “missed”) to avoid a forfeit.

I want to believe that teams wouldn’t cheat regarding something like this, but Belichick is still coaching. :grinning:

Lions put Patricia out of his misery, along with Quinn

The 49ers appear to have been booted out of Santa Clara for 3 weeks, at least.

They were probably doomed from the beginning. Maybe they could have succeeded, but not in Detroit.

On Sports Illustrated someone asked a question about why the Lions are just awful and never get better no matter who is in charge and the writer had an interesting theory: the Lions’ owners are the hands-off, leave-the-football-to-the-football-people type, which is generally a good thing, however the Lions take it to an extreme.

Part of it is that so much of the business operation is at Ford Field while the football folks are in the suburbs day-to-day. And this manifests without there being a ton of checks and balances over how the football operation is working.

My belief is that, over the years, that’s allowed for problems, wherever they may be, to fester. Again, most football coaches and scouts want relatively hands-off owners. But the truth is that most good owners are at least creating guardrails for the football people, and making sure certain standards are being upheld.

from here: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/27/mailbag-jets-head-coach-candidates-pat-fitzgerald

Now the Broncos seem to have a bit of a QB crunch.

Let’s just say that it’ll be an interesting season to remember in the NFL

Maybe they can get Tim Tebow out of retirement. :stuck_out_tongue:

A little more on the situation:

Kendall Hinton now rumored to be the QB https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1332829777468690432?s=20

Baltimore placed 6 more players on the COVID reserve list today, bringing them up to 18 total. They are down to six active offensive linemen, and three active defensive linemen.

Meanwhile, Steelers running back James Connor, and a team coach, tested positive today.

As cases skyrocket all over the country (and it seems likely that the next few weeks will be even worse), combining this news, along with Denver having no QBs, and the Niners having no place to practice or play, I’m growing increasingly pessimistic that the league will get the full season done on time (if at all).