NFL 2021: Week Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

I thought so too and included them in this week’s parlay … and then two fumbles in the red zone because of course.

WFT kicker Dustin Hopkins has missed two extra points today. You have one job, kicker auditions upcoming this week.

They should leave him in Atlanta. Just tell him to take off his uniform right now and find his own way home. Tress Way is already doing the kickoffs, and they’ll just go for 2 the rest of the way.

Random thoughts:

1. Sam Darnold, having escaped the Jets hurricane of suckitude, appears to be a competent QB. Not great, not horrid. He’s fine, I guess.

2. I’m happy to see more OPI being called especially on obvious pick plays. I’m also enjoying the histrionics of the NFL coaches, who whine more than a candy less toddler in a candy shop.

3. Poor Davis Mills. He looks lost and scared. I’ve long railed against starting most rookie QBs immediately, but he’s even worse off.

Somebody spiked the Cowboys orange slices at halftime.

Jets missed an opportunity to win in OT. 3rd and goal at the 1, and they ran a QB bootleg. Lost 4 yards and settled for a FG with 4 and 1/2 minutes left.

Bills 40-0, yey.

I’d be happy with either outcome of Bucs-Patriots; both Brady and Belichick needed to get their asses handed to them.

Trevon Diggs is turning out to be a pleasant Cowboys surprise; five INTs in four games.

Browns should’ve beat Minnesota by at least 20 points, but Baker is off. Probably related to his dislocated/messed up shoulder from a couple of weeks ago - his accuracy and mechanics have been off since. I hope that’s the sort of injury that can be recovered as he plays through the season, because it has definitely put a cap on offensive production these last 2 weeks.

Defense is getting it done, though, hold the Bears and Vikings to 7 points or less. D-line has been especially good. Myles Garrett still isn’t 100% since he got COVID last year though.

The Steelers are about to be in the AFC North basement where they belong…

The next few seasons may be a Browns-Bengals rivalry, a sentence I could never have typed half a decade ago.

The rats had a 40-some game streak of having 100 yards rushing and were at 97 today. There were 2 seconds on the clock and they would normally kneel down to end the game, but they decided to rush Lamar Jackson to keep their streak. Most NFL coaches don’t blatantly go for streaks like that, so that’s interesting.

Could you imagine the backlash if Lamar had gotten hurt on that run?

They are really milking the importance of this “revenge” game and it’s going to end up being a boring ass blowout.

I hate the idea that any player facing their former team has to be a “revenge” game anyway. Sometimes players and teams part without bad blood, but you’d think that every time a player moved to another team they do nothing but seethe in rage at their former team.

Personally, I love the hype of this game. If you don’t get the adulation the Boston fan base has for Brady, you don’t get sports. It’s not about the Bucs-Pats matchup. It’s about homecoming. The greatest to ever play the position. It’s goosebumps. That’s always the best that sports offers.

40-0 oofffff, no signs of any any hints of potential silver linings for a bout of optimism for the Texans.

I was hoping Denver would run out the clock. Didn’t quite happen.

Cris Collingsworth saying “Belichick knows this team can’t recover from two holding calls” couldn’t have been timed better.

Got the boring part right so far. Blowout, less so.

Whatever else is true, it looks like Belichick knows how to plan a defense around Tampa. Probably won’t matter at the end with the talent differential, but the mental part of the game is interesting, even if it’s not as telegenic.

Yes, I’m surprised/impressed with the outcome so far.

At the half the Patriots are winning 7-6.

I bet Belichick knows of some secret phobia Brady has, and is covertly flashing him a photo from the sidelines.

“Why does Bill have a Photoshopped picture of Ronald McDonald holding a bloody samurai sword?”

At least Indy gets off the schnide today with a win in Miami.

I was debating taking the Pats and the points this week. Ultimately I chickened out and laid off the game. My logic was that Brady was going to be a little rattled by emotion coming back to NE and Bill would have just enough wrinkles to keep him off balance all game. Seems like that’s playing out close to accurate, but the Pats offense is unsurprisingly shaky. In retrospect the smart play would have been the under.

The Bears got right against the hapless Lions. But beating the Lions in Soldier Field is about as safe a bet as there is, so I’m not putting too much stock into it. The running game was great and everything on offense flowed from that. I don’t think you can say that Fields and Nagy have things figured out just yet. Certainly it was better, but we were bad on third down and Fields still seems to require the Fisher-Price version of an NFL offense. He did make some incredible deep throws which was heartening. The defense is looking awesome. Hope Hicks and Monty aren’t hurt seriously. Could make things pretty tough going forward if we’re down two stars.