NFL 2022: Conference Championship Week

A month after suffering his third head injury of the season (and second confirmed concussion), Tua Tagovailoa is still in the league’s concussion protocol, and has been ruled out of participating in the “Pro Bowl Games” next week.

With the pressure to come back to the game rapidly now off, one hopes that Tua is able to take the time to recover. OTOH, I also hope that he’s able to consider that continuing to play may be a bad choice for his future neurological health.

Multiple sports pundits are urging the Jets to solve their QB problem by signing Aaron Rodgers.

Like it worked out so well the last time they signed a star QB who was past his sell-by date.

I am a Seattle homer surprised and delighted by Geno Smith’s shocking performance (we all expected him to be a game manager who could hopefully not screw up too badly). And even I agree with the above. He was a promising rookie, improving as the year went on, but his stats ultimately were lousy (12 TD to 21 Ints is not a good QB). And he was bad enough in year 2 to be benched for part of it, even though his 13TD/13Int statline seemed better. The following year was the infamous broken jaw from a petty dispute with a teammate, and then he was a backup for his career since then until this following year.

It wasn’t a return to greatness, for sure. It was a comeback to being a starter. But that is nothing exceptional; mediocre players lose their starting jobs all the time, to come back later when a team doesn’t have a better option.

I personally think McCaffrey is a good choice. He was a superstar who reportedly was done from everything I was hearing, and was traded away from Carolina because he was no longer producing for them. Then he became a monster in San Francisco, like his old superstar self again.

Technically, they’d be trading for Rodgers, who has two years left on the contract extension he signed with the Packers prior to last season. He’s due for over $59 million if he plays in '23 (though the salary cap number is “only” $31 million), though he has indicated a willingness to rework the contract.

If the past predicts the future, that would make Rodgers the Vikings’ QB for 2024. :smiley:

He also needs to fake retire a few times before doing TV commercials for disposable razors.

Great catch by Devonta Smith on 4th down! Great start for the Eagles.

Except it wasn’t a catch. Missed challenge by Shanahan.

The pass should have been ruled incomplete, and the Eagles really should have challenged it.

I couldn’t tell, because the replays had crappy angles, and they cut away from the one with the right angle. But I figure if Smith was so desperately trying to get his teammates to run the next play that he knew he didn’t too.

How the fuck do you leave Hassan Reddick blocked with TE and WR?

Kid genius is not looking to genius-ish.

The angle they showed after coming back from commercial after the TD clearly showed that it wasn’t a catch. And I figured the same thing…if they were in such a hurry to run the next play, something was definitely amiss.

Yeah, I didnt get back in time to see the replay.

They really should outlaw those stupid wire camera drones before they critically affect the outcome of an important game. I don’t understand why the NFL originally okayed such an idiotic idea where Murphy’s Law could definitely have it do so sooner or later.

Yeah, we’ll, so far all the down marker chains have held tight, so at least there’s that.

Agreed. That punt certainly hit the drone wire and gave the Niners great field position, although they didn’t immediately capitalize on it. Those camera drones offer one or two cool looks per game, but not much else.

I remain convinced that it’s a terrible shame Jalen Hurts isn’t a linebacker.

I have always wished that he and tight end Jake Butt would have been on the same team, so that there could be a photo of the two of them standing side-by-side on the sideline, with their backs to the camera.

Niners defense is playing really well, especially containing Hurts … when they’re not committing penalties that is.

Penalized again. The calls are all reasonable, too. They’re just being murdered by penalties.

Major bummer about Purdy. I’ve been shortying this game, only watching from snap to whistle. Do we have a sideline report? Was he ruled out or might we still see him again?