NFL 2022: The Super Bowl

@Bullitt , from Bleeding Green fan, that was a very tasteful debt paid, and not a bad performance! Kudos! :eagle:

Nice job Bullitt and thanks for being a good sport.

Great job Bullitt, very classy. And the pain in your face really sold it.

All-women team to perform flyover at Super Bowl LVII in moment of history

Sunday’s flyover will be comprised of two F/A-18F Super Hornets from the “Flying Eagles” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 122, an F-35C Lightning II from the “Argonauts” of VFA-147, and an EA-18G Growler from the “Vikings” of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 129.

Another bit of entertainment news :

That sounds more interesting than Rihanna!

We’ll, for this Eagle :eagle: fan, it’s a different stress than 5 years ago. Back then, we were always the underdog with backups having to beat Ba-ba-ba Brady & the Pats. Oh, they were weird and wonderful, but we beat them anyway.

THIS time, people are actually picking us as the favorite! Not by much, mind you, but sportswriters are really backing us more than Chiefs!

So a really different stress fest for me for the next 21 hours. Best of luck to Chiefs and Chiefs fans, but I think the Birds are coming in at ya really strong.

I think this could be close, by a field goal, maybe.

I don’t expect it to be close unless Mahomes goes full Superman. But even if he can and does, I think they [edit: the Chiefs] still lose by a touchdown.

Hope you mean the Chiefs lose by a TD there. :grin:

ETA: Saw your edit

Good luck in the game tomorrow!

I just learned that, in NFL history, only 6.8% of regular-season games – about one in 15 – have included a safety.

But in the 56 Super Bowl games, there have been nine safeties, or one in every 5.89 games. In fact, there have been four safeties recorded in the last 14 Super Bowl games: XLIII (2009), XLVI (2011), XLVII (2012), and XLVII (2013). Of course, there hasn’t been a safety in the last 9 SBs, so maybe we’re due for another one.

DraftKings has these odds listed for a safety:

Yes +1000
No -2500

I was in Vegas for the Giants Super Bowl that opened with a safety. Made a good bit of money on that.

That’s surprising… Scoring a safety usually means that the other team did something wrong, not that you did something right. And you’d expect the two Superbowl teams to be less likely to do something wrong.

Giving up a safety is typically a matter of getting pinned deep in your own end (often by a good punt from the other team), and then having the defense make a good play (i.e., typically a sack in the end zone). So, conversely, it could be seen that the team which scores the safety did one or more things right.

And that is exactly what happened in this game. The Giants got the opening kickoff, drove into Pats territory, but gave up a sack that pushed them out of FG range. The ensuing punt was downed at the Pats 6-yard line. On NE’s first play from scrimmage, Tom Brady dropped back into the end zone to pass, but was hurried and threw the ball downfield where no receiver was present. He was flagged for intentional grounding in the end zone, which results in a safety.

Interestingly enough, two years later in the Super Bowl between the Broncos and Seahawks, a safety again was the first score. A bad snap on the first play from scrimmage sent the ball into the end zone, where a Denver running back fell on it for a safety. The score, which occurred just 12 seconds into the game, is the earliest score in Super Bowl history.

In today’s game, the odds of a safety being the first score are +2800.

At first I didn’t either, but the bookies have the Chiefs as very light underdogs, 1.5 points as of now. I am not sure what I’m missing here.

Not sure what you mean by ‘full Superman.’

Mahomes has 9 games in which he’s thrown for over 400 yards. He has four games with 5 touchdown passes, and two games with six. If he has, say, 400 yards passing and 5 TD passes, I like KC’s chances.

It’s a decent line. I wouldn’t favor either team by a whole lot, all things considered. Few Super Bowls have seen one team solidly dominant through 60 minutes, and these are both good teams.

Sure, it could end in a blowout, but play the game 10 times, and it probably averages out to a narrow edge.

Also, the line is driven by how much betting action there is on both sides. If Eagles fans are wagering more than Chiefs fans are, the betting line will move in favor of the Eagles.

The Eagles opened at 1.5 point underdogs, so, yes, there’s been some movement based on the action. But the spread wasn’t going to be a big one in any event with that opening line.