NFL Draft - 2021

The Seahawks only have a few draft picks. I’m guessing that Schneider will Schneider and horse trade his picks into a bunch more, and maybe turn straw into gold. We’ll see.

Seattle seems to finally have a really good pass rush, but they are sorely lacking in CBs so I hope they draft someone with real potential, maybe someone that can start quickly. And they have 2 of the best WRs in the NFL with Lockett and Metcalf, but have no legit #3, so should look to draft one in a year that seems really deep in WRs. And another OL person would be good.

Luckily they have one of the better QBs and their RBs are fine, and have great LBs too. Maybe another TE? Which is funny because they had like 12 of them last year it seemed like, but none of them stood out. Shoot, Greg Olsen seemed like he was there to maybe hang out one more year in the NFL before he could retire and become a broadcaster.

I know it has nothing to do with the draft, but along the lines of my favorite named guys … the Giants signed Austrian Sandro Platzgummer to their practice squad. Platzgummer is a runnng back for the 3 time champions American football team Swarco Raiders Tirol in Innsbruck, Austria. Watch out, Saquon, “The 'Gummer” is coming for you!

Lets take a peek at the Bears.

QB - Yeah, I know. So we’ve kicked the can down the road by signing Andy Dalton. Foles is still hanging around as a backup. Neither guy really deserves to be a starter in the league any more. The Bears MUST draft a QB in this draft. We’re too late in the first round to really expect to get one of the top 5 guys and we better not be thinking about selling the farm to roll the dice on Lance or Fields. But we do need to draft a guy, even if the tape on them is only so-so. If only to build up some good habits around investing in the position. I have no idea if Davis Mills can ball in the NFL, but if we were fortunate enough to land him late in the 2nd round I’d feel pretty happy. If we landed Trask in the 3rd or 4th round I’d also feel okay. No expectations but let’s take a swing.

RB - Monty started to blossom into a capable workhorse and if the OL can manage to develop we might be okay at this spot. Cohen should be coming back healthy as well. We signed Damien Williams in the offseason. So we’re not desperate at the position. We’re also not exactly “set” here either so I wouldn’t hate a late round flier on a RB, but I think I’d prefer we go the UDFA route and hope for the best.

WR - Robinson and Mooney are back and we added Marquise Goodwin. Behind those guys it’s a bunch of nobodies. So we’re not at all deep at the position and we almost have to draft at least one WR in this class. In fact I would be surprised if we didn’t take two. Assuming we stand pat at the 20th pick, I think this is the position we might be able to grab a player who slips a little. Beyond the big 3 I don’t have a great feel for the rest of this deep class.

TE - We’ve got Kmet and Graham still on the roster and I’m guessing we’ll stand pat here. If there’s a BPA TE who slips to us in the first 4 rounds I don’t think we’ll pass on him, but I wouldn’t expect any investment here. Not great, but maybe Kmet takes a leap.

OL - This group started to show some promise late in the season last year. It’s still a mediocre at-best group when it comes to pass pro, but we figured out how to run the ball. We showed Bobby Massie the door and he won’t be missed. Mid-season I was ready to fire everyone and start over, but now I’m not necessarily thinking OL or bust in the draft. That said, OT might be a position of great value in the first and I would expect us to run to the podium if Slater or Darrishaw miraculously slipped. Teven Jenkins is probably a good bet for the 20th pick. Like WR, we might draft 2 guys at this position over the weekend.

DL/Edge - Mack, Goldman, Hicks, Nichols, Quinn are all scheduled to be back. We lost a couple solid guys but all-in-all this group is one of our strongest position rooms. Quinn is fantastically disappointing but he’s not going anywhere. Glad Goldman is back from opting out though. The Bears will always consider a pass rusher in the draft but if there’s a chance that the Bears pass on BPA in the first round, I could see us passing up a Edge in favor of a need. Don’t know much about the mid-round guys but Pace has had a good track record finding starters there.

LB - Roquon is a stud. Trevathan is old and slow. We’re in pretty desperate need of help alongside Ro. We have no depth, but ILB is a position that everyone tends to slow play and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us roll the dice with a UDFA or a 7th rounder or two here.

DB - Kyle Fuller was a cap casualty and they are promoting JJ to CB1. This move I’m in full support of. We needed to cut some salary somewhere and as much as I like Fuller, we have a capable youngster ready to fill his shoes. But I’m really concerned about CB2. We’re really likely to draft a CB in the first 2 rounds of this draft. Samuel would be a slight reach at #20 but if we moved back for him it’d be a coup. Farley, coming off injury, fits the mold of how Pace likes to roll the dice so taking him at 20 would not be a shock at all. At Safety I suspect that we’ll stand pat with EJax and Gipson, any late round fliers ought be on tweeners who project as a slot/nickelback.

For all their dominance on the field, the Patriots’ drafting over the last many years has been dismal. The Boston Globe wrote an article about how bad it’s been (probably paywalled), concluding “The draft has not been the Patriots’ friend over the past five years. A team that hit several home runs a decade ago — Rob Gronkowski, Devin McCourty, Julian Edelman, Chandler Jones, Dont’a Hightower, and others — suddenly has a lot of strikeouts, and only a few singles and doubles. This has led to the Patriots essentially buying a new team for 2021 as they attempt to reclaim their place atop the NFL.”

They’ve got their highest pick in over a decade this week. Will they try to find a QB at 15? Knowing Belichick, he’ll just trade down.

One more day. Soon the crazy rumors (Hey Packers, give Atlanta a second rounder for Julio Jones!), the misdirection (Are the Patriots really going to move up to draft a QB?), and the innumerable mock drafts (any beyond the top 20 picks is just guessing) will be a thing of the past. Some last minute thoughts:

1. I do not understand how any team would rather roll the dice with a guy one year of QB starting on a run first team who has never played against a top defense than a similar QB who has shone (and occasionally stunk) against the best of the best. Trey Lance being drafted before Justin Fields would be a mistake.

2. Dear God, I really want the Bears to trade up for Trey Lance.

3. The Bengals’ decision at pick 5 (Sewell or Chase or trade down) is as fascinating as the draft gets, and not a decision I would want to have to make. On one hand, I love Sewell and I think he’s tons better than some other LT you could get later in the draft (I think there are some potential WR studs who will be available later). Plus protecting Joe Burrow needs to be a priority and LT is a clear need. Plus I think their WR crew of Higgins (33rd pick of the draft), Boyd, and Tate is pretty good already. On the other hand, a stud WR has more positional value than a OT, Chase seems to be the real deal, and he was outstanding playing with Burrow in college. Add in the possibility of a QB thirsty team willing to mortgage the future, and it’s a fascinating decision to make.

1. This year’s draft will be a real test of the pre-conceived notions of what measurables a WR needs to succeed in the NFL. Like Russell Wilson’s height no longer being an issue, the low height/weight scores of a bunch of WR’s in this draft might change the minds of many GM’s (and myself). Heisman winner Devonta Smith is a hair over 6 feet and weighs just 166 pounds (Alabama had him listed at 6’1" 175. Jaylen Waddle is just 5’9" 175. And there are a ton of smaller, fast WRs who may be drafted in the late 1st or second rounds. Rondale Moore is 5’7" 179. Elijah Moore is 5’9", 179. D’Wayne Eskridge is 5’9", 190. Tutu Atwell is 5’9" 165. Seems like everyone thinks these guys can be the next Tyreek Hill. But there are reasons there is just one Tyreek. I think Devonta Smith is the only one of these guys who has a real shot at being a true #1 WR and not just a gadget/fast slot guy. But what do I know?

2. Speaking of measureables, I have no faith in the reported 40 times taken at Pro Days. Without the combine, there’s just too much that can aid the runner. On a related note, I think more teams need to rely on analytics and tracking measurement data of actual game speed rather than a 40 yard dash time.

3. I’m excited to be surprised. Last year had Ruggs drafted before Lamb and Jeudy (thanks Gruden!) and the lack of many of the speculated trades made for interesting watching. Not all surprises are good (I’m still, and likely will remain forever, pissed about the Packers’ first 3 rounds), but they make for an interesting watch.

Packers fans making wishes about Bears draft picks is like talking to the other golfer’s ball. Not kosher.

What a terrible name for a wide receiver. Or any athlete, really.

Though, Bears fans of a certain age may remember a Waddle (and a WR, at that) with some fondness.

As I hit Reply, I made a mental bet with myself that someone would mention him within five minutes. :slightly_smiling_face:

Waddle is, I agree, an unfortuante name for a wide receiver, but it’s no Dick Trickle. :smiley:

On vacation this week and made plans to watch the draft at a bar on South Beach tomorrow. Will be interesting to see reactions from different tourists from different fan bases and the local reaction.

I already know what the reaction will be in Chicago no matter the outcome.

I agree with almost everything you said. Almost.

I do think the Falcons decision here may even be more fraught than the Bengals.

This report about the Niners’ potential first pick (at #3) has further confounded me. According to it, the Niners are waffling on who they want to select at #3, Mac Jones or Trey Lance.

I’m thinking it is just more misdirection and misinformation, but if the Niners decision makers aren’t absolutely positive about who they want to draft, then their trade up, already a huge mistake to my eyes, is even worse. Giving up 2 future first round picks and a third this year to move up 9 spots and not being absolutely sure who your guy is, reeks of ego driven mania.

Now watch as they draft Justin Fields and go on to win multiple Super Bowls with him. That’ll show me.

Happy Draftmas, Dopers!

It’s been a rough few weeks for 49ers fans, with hopeful speculation turning to rampant vitriol on numerous online platforms. Mostly from “my” side, too. :unamused:

You see, I like Justin Fields. But many of his supporters feel it’s OK to spew hatred at anyone supporting Mac Jones, and especially those who are reporting that Jones is the clear pick for Kyle Shanahan.

I think Mac is fine, and would likely find some measure of success in Shanahan’s system. But I don’t see the eliteness that some feel are obvious. All I see is a young, chubby Jimmy Garoppolo. I still like Jimmy G, but I just don’t see why you’d trade two extra 1st’s and a 3rd only to end up with young, chubby Jimmy.

Fields isn’t perfect. I just see more plusses with him. I think he can execute the pretty little diagrams Kyle draws up, but can make a positive play if breaks down.

Zach Wilson can only make a positive play if it breaks down.

Trey Lance is such a gigantic blank slate, literally and figuratively, I don’t know what to make of him.

Anyway, I think I’ve stopped giving a damn. Just tell me who I’ll be rooting for.

Incidentally, I’ll be a little surprised, but not a lot, if the team trades Garoppolo. Some media outlets are so sure of it they’ve routinely called ShanaLynch liars for saying they (essentially) plan on a Smith/Mahomes scenario. I think Jimmy starts the season, and when he inevitably gets injured the rookie will step in.

Happy Draft day! Say it with me you pancake eating MFers.

Looking forward to another day of the Bears shitting the bed and the Pack not drafting a WR.

I am so stealing this. Chubby Jimmy G is a very good comp for Mac; a solid, if unspectacular, high floor QB, who can run a system, but won’t likely ever put the team on his back and carry them to victory. He’s the kind of QB you used to be able to draft later and hope, after a couple years, he can run your system. With Deebo, Kittle, and Aiyuk as YAC monsters and that running game, that’s all you really need.

I just don’t understand the price they paid to get a guy like that. It’s insane. Of course I didn’t understand it when they made Jimmy the highest paid QB either.

Root for Kwity Paye. I hope he’s as good a person as he seems.

That’s one way to look at it. You could also say that grabbing the #3 spot assured them that, after doing as much research as possible, they’d be able to get their first choice of those three.

I agree it was a very high price to pay to make sure you get the 3rd best QB in the draft.

Speaking of that pick: it is rumored that the Niners offered that pick, plus Jimmy Garoppalo, and more, to the Packers for Aaron Rodgers.

So how pear shaped does tonight go if the 49ers pick Pitts.

With Kittle it’s virtually certain he’s not the pick. But I find the scenario hilarious to imagine.

The 3rd QB in the draft yes, the 3rd best remains to be seen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Dear Elder Gods of football. …

Please, please, please, pleeeeeeeese let the Lions use their opportunity wisely and trade back for value, and not fall in love with some high pick who at best,will languish through another rebuild like all the others .