NHL December 2018

I have to admit that this was unclear for me. The wikipedia for hockey penalties says

So, yeah it seems that giving up the goal is considered enough of a penalty.

That Wiki quote doesn’t quite explain it right. When a team is down a man and commits a penalty, if the other team scores during the delayed penalty, not only is the penalty waived off, but the man in the penalty box is also allowed to return ending the ongoing power play

If the goal were scored during the second penalty and before the first expired, only the first man in the penalty box would be allowed out. At least that’s the way it used to be. I assume it still is.

Not sure if I saw any problem with that explanation, myself.

Really? Both penalties are immediately nullified in that instance? Huh, guess I never witnessed such a situation, to begin with, oddly, and way too lazy right now to check out (slow-loading) nhl.com rulebook to double check that.

Me too.

Also not seeing much difference between playing shorthanded during a delayed penalty and playing shorthanded during a penalty kill - the offending team is still at a disadvantage in both those situations, so if the non-offending team scores during the delayed penalty, it would make perfect sense to me that the delayed penalty would get waved off - the penalty has been served by being scored on.

Yup - gotta go on another Pettersson kick again - he’s just too insane to not deserve the constant encomiums (heh - encomia?) coming his way.
As the Canucks went into Calgary last night and beat the division-leading Flames, that wimpy little Swede put on another fine show, potting yet another one of his already patented surgical strike goals where the puck immediately pops in and out from a top corner - he’s scored too many goals exactly like that, already, to dismiss it as anything other than absurd, consistent skill. Pundits and goalies alike are discovering his very unique way of stealthily shifting his rather slight frame just before he shoots; averting his eyes from the target to further deceive the goalie; and, finally, what is becoming regarded as one of the finest releases in the league, whether it’s a snap-, wrist-, or slap-shot, taking away further reaction time from the goalie.
Unfortunately, he looks like he has the narrowest set of shoulders in the NHL, making him look almost waif-like out there - a feast for a Lucic or Reaves or Matt Martin or basically most NHL’ers:p, so, it was reassuring last night, then, when he registered three hits, went right back in Dhillon Dube’s face after he got shoved around, and took Sam Bennet’s number after he tried to take out Elias’s knee, mid-ice.
Yup - ya gotta build that piss’n vinegar, kid.

Was hoping to post a video of it (but not not be found) - Pettersson’s incredible defensive play last night in overtime, where Edler was caught up-ice, leaving EP to deal with a two-on-one, which he miraculously broke up sprawling on the ice and then whipping his stick around behind him to block the pass. Quite pretty.

(goalie Jakob Markstrom’s Dec. was his best month ever, and is currently 7-1-0 with a 1.63 goals against average and .943 save percentage in his past eight games)

Missed edit window: Forgot to mention a whack-load of crazy stats - I’ll just go with two for now - EP has the best scoring percentage in the NHL at 27%, and is behind only Kucharov in points on the road.
Heh - strange - whenever I see him and Boesser on the bench, they always appear to be bickering.

Greeeaaaat, Bryan Rust is injured. Just when he’s on a hot streak.

Okay, here is another thing that I have never seen before. At the World Junior Championships, Switzerland was playing Russia. With the game tied 3-3 late in the second period, a Swiss player was awarded two penalty shots on the same play. Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro who were calling the game, and have lots of hockey experience, were dumbfounded at the way things played out.

Bottom line: The Swiss missed both penalty shots and ended up losing the game.

Rumors that the 2020 Winter Classic will be in Dallas. I assume the Wild would be the opponent. It’s certainly time for a shake up, there’s absolutely no buzz about the upcoming Blackhawks/Bruins game at Notre Dame. Of course the Hawks aren’t good and they’ve already had so many outdoor games.

In 50 years of watching hockey, I have never seen this, nor did I think it was possible.