NHL: January 2024

I quite liked the Winter Classic this year. Finally, it moves out west and not the same 6 teams with Seattle vs Vegas in a battle of recent expansion teams and also featuring the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Well, everything was fine until they started playing. Vegas was absolutely out named and outplayed the entire game. You’d think they were the San Jose Sharks and not the defending champs.

With a victory last night over the Flames, the Oilers winning streak is now 13 games, which is now the longest win streak by a Canadian team in NHL history, passing the 67-68 Montreal Canadiens, who had won 12 in a row. The all-time streak is 17 by the 92-93 Penguins.

Canada’s leading sports news, SportsNet and TSN lauded the Oilers achievement, and their amazing season turn-around (after a disastrous 2-9-1 start) with pretty much nothing. Headlines were the NFL games, Australian Open, Patrick Roy, John Tavares. Imagine if the Leafs had set the record.

The Oilers next 5 games, and the standings of those teams is:
Columbus (28)
Chicago (31)
Nashville (16)
Las Vegas (6)
Anaheim (30)

Of course two of those victories were in overtime and a third was in a shootout. The Canadiens didn’t have any overtime in 67-68 and the Penguins didn’t have shootouts in 92-93.

Cynic, here: in the next Oils/Black Hawks game, will Corey and Connor drop’em? (I’m sure that particular situation was all rumours anyway)

Nice/surprised to see the Canucks still at the top of the league, but come April we’ll see if that was just a temorary blip or what.

It’s pretty much confirmed the Corey/Connor thing was rumours. But if for some reason Bedard even looks like he might try to fight Corey, every other Blackhawks player on the ice needs to jump Corey Perry before Bedard has his gloves off, and the coach should bench Bedard the rest of the game. Do not, under any circumstances, let them fight. There’s everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Yeah, I’m hoping it’s just all goofy water under the bridge by the time they tilt against each other and just play hockey.
Sure like CB’s shtudown:

not my bolding