NHL Mar./Apr

I thought tim-n-va’s idea of doing a two-monther (and then a separate play-off thread) would, indeed, be an excellent compromise.
Just reporting the rarity of my teams - Canucks and Flyers - actually somehow winning on the same night, last night, but not quite aligning with the vernal equinox.
My narcissistic glow has not abated.

Alex Ovechkin and Nick Backstrom will play in their 1,000 game together tonight. Obscure stat but only the ninth pair to play that many games together.

Ovie is 3 goals from passing Jagr for third in career goals and Backstrom is 3 points from reaching 1,000.

Lots of milestone potential during their three games out west this week.

Ovie has tied Jagr. He needs to average 30 goals per season for the rest of his contract to catch Gretzky. Lots of speculation as to whether he can do it. I think it comes down to health/injuries and no one knows.

Does the group here think there will be much fan pushback if a Russian approaches the record - like baseball when Babe Ruth’s records were challenged? Will the current global political situation be a factor?

Another milestone approaching is Marc Staal joining Eric and Jordon as the first three brothers to play 1,000 games.

Wondered that, myself, and at a total loss as to what will happen there. Ultimately I’d be surprised if a Russian record will get as hotly contested as Babe’s did.
Crazy for Ovi, with this convergence of reaching one of the greatest of hockey’s pinnacles, while contending with intense political opprobrium.

The Golden Knights have lost 5 in a row for the first time ever and some fans are impatient.

Still nice for an expansion team to not spend 20 years in the wilderness.

Hmmmm…

Perhaps LV resident and long time (and absent) doper @Snoboarder_Bo might have a thing or two to vent about it. :upside_down_face:

It’s pretty fucked up that the simple act of him changing his Instagram profile pic would have more of a lasting impact on the world than scoring #802 or #895 ever possibly could.

I was looking at the standings and with 20 games or so to play, 8 of the top 10 are in the east. 3 of the top 5 are in the Atlantic. It will be a tough path for the wild card team that has to go into a bracket with Florida, Toronto and Tampa Bay.

Unforgivable the other night with the Canucks blowing a 3-2 lead with four minutes to go to lose 3-4 in reguation to St. Louis, which told me the play-offs are completely out now for them. Hate it when a loss is so crappy you almost wanna boycott the next game.

The streak ends for Yandle.

He surely should have been benched before this if it wasn’t for the streak. Still, you’re gonna end it tonight, short of the 1000 games?

Oof. That’s gotta hurt.

Is Mike Babcock coaching the Flyers?

Huh.
As far as I know he’s still coaching the University of Saskatchewan Huskies.

Where did you hear otherwise?

Pretty sure it’s still just Mike Yeo at the Flyers helm. (heh - with no more Vigneault / Therrien hovering around) (yeah - that was one of the stranger - LOADED! - coaching teams, to be sure.)

The Flyers should just bring back Peter Laviolette and reinstate Dry Island.

Or, start drinking more if they’re on the wagon now.

Yeah I’ve always wondered how teams fared off-ice IRT partying / disciplinary measures. There could be some curious ‘cultures’, for sure, on some of them.
Heh - I remember roomies Carter and Richards being a ‘thing’. (I always thought they got rid of Carter because he was becoming a fat, beer-guzzling slob, but what do I know.)

I know that he isn’t the actual coach of the Flyers. However, there is a reason that Mike Modano retired with 1499 games played. It is because Babcock refused to play him in one of the last half dozen games of his career for no reason.

Heh. Cray! TIL.
I’ll be surprised if he coaches in the NHL again.
Or Torts.

After the last few Pens games, the LAST thing I need is a “dry” anything. :cry:

Caps beat the Flyers 9-2. I was curious if any team had scored nine and lost. Oilers, Black Hawks and North Stars all had such losses in the 1980s. There were three others during world wars.

The wildcard race in the West is going down to the wire and will be pretty exciting, which is good. Hopefully it will overcome how hockey has pretty much sold out to gambling interests and I hate it.