Nice Sharing is Caring

Ok, got some questions about this, the ‘Nice Share’ badge:

Imgur

I send out a lot of links to my SDMB musings, from Twitter to texts to emails to NextDoor to LinkedIn to… like I said, I promote my work and the SDMB a fair amount, especially my OP’s. This one tweet (tweet activity shown) in the past couple of hours got 18 clicks to my OP, for example:

Imgur

I get the NS badge sometimes, I just got it again, and I have some questions:

1. How does this work? Is this 25 clicks from ONE link or 25 clicks from DIFFERENT links or other? Do you capture all these links, including links from SMS activity?
  2. What if @codinghorror shares my OP on their FB page and that gets 25 clicks… do either I or CH get a badge? Both?
  3. Is there any way I can see who is clicking on my links, or at least which of the links is drawing attention? It’s nice to earn this badge, but I don’t know if it’s my Twitter promotion, my texts, NextDoor, whatever… I would definitely be interested in that info.

Thanks for the ‘new’ site, I truly appreciate it.

(For some reason, if you want to go to the tweet above:

)

When posted, the above tweet had brought 18 people to the board. Overnight it broke 25, the level to earn another ‘nice share’ badge. However, I didn’t get another badge.

Curiouser and curiouser.

NICE SHARE BADGE CASH VALUE = 1/20 CENT

(Discourse made me add this extra sentence)

If you look at the link itself, the URL contains your name as a parameter. That is how new visits to the site are credited to you and not codinghorror. His links have his own username on the end.

~Max

Ahhhhh… so you’re saying that ‘johnt’ at the end of the URL is what is being tracked?

Basically, yeah.

~Max

So, am apparently the only person to receive one of these, so to your point, Max, it does seem to tag off the URL and to the question I asked, it appears that it’s cumulative across all shares:

Imgur

I know in the pre-switchover era I had a single Twitter link bring in 400+ visitors, so it’s not a record… yet.

And, for those wondering, next (and last) level is ‘Great Share’, for 1,000 outside visitors brought to the SDMB via sharing the same post.

It’s visitors from different IP addresses.

Check it out, @codinghorror:

Imgur

Questions:

1. Can conversions be tracked? Is there any way to see how many of these 1,000+ visitors actually registered?
  2. If so, what’s the number?

Thanks,

JT

So, When I’ve removed my name from the links I’ve shared, i am missing out my chance at this badge. Hmmm.

The problem is, I would never want to share a URL that included my username in it, linking my identities on two different websites. The last thing I want is for someone who gets mad at me on one site to be able to follow me here. Heck, even the reverse would be possible.

Granted, it’s not like I share links from here much anyway. But I did find it odd that Discourse puts your username in the clear.

Lol, not a big deal with me, man. I first got doxxed in 1991, internet anonymity is just a lie we tell ourselves.

No, but the invite system does attach invitees to your account, if you send out explicit invites.

Yes, that is true.

I’m okay with that. I don’t want to link my various accounts across different groups.

Just going to quote something I wrote in another thread about a year ago, about that one tweet got 427 visitors here, because it’s just as true now as it was then (I wrote this pre-switchover):

/ off my soapbox

:point_up_2: every site needs a regular infusion of new, interesting contributors to survive. And hopefully the new(ish) software helps, as it keeps pace with the functionality from big social media sites that people expect!

So yeah. Invite the cool people to join us! :sunglasses:

Speaking of, we just released a new version, here’s some of the new functionality:

Got another one of these. I think, given the extended weekend combined w/ the news of the Republicans continuing the coup, I could probably whip and drive this to a 1,000 shares by Monday evening… but I have other plans, sorry. :shushing_face:

Imgur