Nine Inch Nails - Are they really devils?

This group, artist, whatever you want to call them, always spark great comments. I have been an admirer of their work since 1989 when they released their first album. Their work in some eyes is seen as vile, dusgusting, putrid - I could go on - but there is a lot of talent in what they produce and i just hate the general narrow mindedness of some people for not accepting the differences in life.

I mean, fair enough, some of what they do is a little of, but then so are some of the governments tax policies!

Tolerence is a skill.

If it generates enough publicity to increase record sales by a million or so, why not hop on that highway to hell. The sinners are much more fun.

Wow. And to think I can feel completely unaffected by the public perception of Nine Inch Nails. I feel so unconnected to reality.

What kind of rock am I living under?

‘This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it.’ cried the Spirit, stretching out its hand towards the city. ‘Slander those who tell it ye. Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end.’
-C. Dickens

uhh… you do know that NIN is one person – Trent Reznor. He hires additional talent when he is on tour.

And Pretty Hate Machine is one awesome CD.

Is “nine-inch nails” a reference to the kinds of nails one might use at a crucifixion?

Trent Reznor is a talented musician and producer. He is also an incredibly dynamic live performer and one of the few artists in the last 3 decades who has placed his individual stamp upon a musical genre. I do not always enjoy his work, but when my mood is right there is nothing that gets my blood pumping like NIN.

None of which precludes him from being a devil, I suppose, if you believe in such fairy tales.

The best lack all conviction
The worst are full of passionate intensity.

Nine-inch-Nails is definitely a crucifixion reference. Check out lyrics to most of his music here www.burningsouls.com/lyrics/index.shtml

Much of it is anti-God and very dark. Like:

god is dead
and no one cares
drowning in his own hypocrisy
if there is a hell
i will see you there

from “heresy” on the “The Downward Spiral”

Trent also brought Marilyn Manson to the world stage by letting him open for NIN on tour. What a colossal mistake!

hardcore
Member posted 12-20-1999 08:39 PM

Considering the fact that he referred to NIN (I don’t suppose this message board supports backward N’s?) as “This group, artist, whatever you want to call them,” he probably does.

As for the original question: I haven’t seen anything truly horrible by the NIN, although I’m not too familiar with the NIN. There are some songs, like “kinda i want to” that could be interpreted as encouraging evil or something, but hey, so could The Screwtape Letters. I think it’s pretty silly to say “I don’t want to hear this, so I’ll denounce it as evil.” The lyrics hardcore cites aren’t exactly “anti-God”. There’s a difference between saying “I don’t believe in God”, which basically what Reznor is saying, and being against God. And it what’s with the criticism that it’s “very dark”? Am I reading too much into that, or is that supposed to mean that anything that isn’t upbeat is Satanical?

I think that often the sound of NIN’s music gets in the way of the central messages. Looking over the page of lyrics, I was really amazed at Reznor’s eloquence.

The Ryan:

Don’t get me wrong – I like Reznor’s music. “Kinda I want to” is probably my favorite song by him. “Head like a Hole” is another incredible track. And the talent required to do everything yourself is awe-inspiring.

But I would like to smack him silly for the whole Marilyn Manson thing.

Don’t get me worng either, I am well aware of Trent being the front-man of NIN. I have watched his work so closely over the past 10 years and always defend stupid suggestions that he the devil!
I admire his work immensely. But I am just sick of the narrow minded perception of some people and attitude to his style.

Pretty Hate Machine is smply a classic, but The Fragile in my opinion has to be the best so far. With the mood that, ‘the day the world went away’ sets, I think his talent is endless with regard to his ability in provoking new emotions within his listeners.

I have heard this satanic bullshit about musicians for about 20 years. Enough.

Step back and think about something. Would you care if your auto mechanic, or doctor, or mover worshipped satan? Does a musicians choice, if genuine, make him any less creative. If the music is good why care.

Actually, becoming christian seems in some cases to make artists lose that edge of creativity. I remember in the 1970’s there was a decent art rock band called Kansas. Then some of them got Jeesus and they really turned crappy. Bob Dylan found religion long enough to put out a couple of decent records.

Well, personally I don’t find NIN “vile, disgusting, or putrid” - just silly.

Not as dumb as Marilyn Manson though.

No offense Geoffrey :slight_smile:

Cool, for a minute their, I thought things were going to get very messy.

None taken - close though!!!

Also, a correction, their --> there.

And why silly?

I’ve never heard of people complaining about NIN, it really isn’t popular enough I guess. Actually I’ve never even thought of the lyrics as being that bad. Lots of bands have more “evil” lyrics.

Nine Inch Nails is not a crucifixtion reference. Trent Reznor had some difficulties thinking up a name for his band and , and he just eventually chose NIN because it sounded aggressive and tough.

Reznor does apparently believe in God, in some form. He is not a Satanist. Yes, his music is often very dark, but that is just the way he thinks, what he feels.

And his lyrics are very carefully constructed, and are close to him. He doesn’t spew out crap (like many musicians of today, stupid teeny-boppers).

And The Downward Spiral is definitely his most ground-breaking work yet, much more than The Fragile, although the Fragile is damn good (can’t get enough of Somewhat Damaged…).

Personally, when he shows up here on tour (which will be in late March, April), I’d sell my first born (if I had one) to attend the concert.

FTR, question #1 in the NIN FAQ:

If I wanted smoke blown up my ass, I’d be at home with a pack of cigarettes and a short length of hose.