Non-US Dopers: Would you host an expat Doper in your home?

If John McCain wins the election, I don’t think I’d be long for the U.S. I talked about expatriating when Bush got elected the second time, and now I’m getting deadly serious. Somehow, I don’t think I’m the only one, either.

So, if you don’t live in the U.S. and a Doper decides to move to your country, would you be willing to host him/her for a few weeks so that he/she can get on his/her feet (we really need a gender-neutral third person pronoun in English :smack:)? What would he/she have to agree to?

Just asking. If McCain wins, I see a pretty large exodus on the horizon.

Hyperbole much? Very few, if any, people will actually follow through on the lame “If X wins, I’m leaving the country” deal.

Humor me, Oakminster. This thread isn’t a debate about whether or not someone would actually move.

(1) Relax, McSame is not going to win.

(2) Even if he did, it would not be as bad as George “Gitmo” Bush winning in 2004.

(3) If there are genuine refugees from the US, I do have a house in Australia. But you’d have to put up with my youngest son, who’s the person currently living there.

In this case you could just use them,they and their instead of he or she.

“Would you be willing to host them for a few weeks so that they can get back on their feet.”

For a few days, sure, if you’re willing to sleep on a mattress on the floor. But there’s not much to offer here, I’m afraid :frowning:

No, because anyone who gets in a huff about bad politics, and then moves to Ireland, is retarded.

Well, Icelands economy is failing fast (as WormtheRed as described in other threads) and it is f-ing cold there.

On the other hand, Palin already thinks she’d be part of congress as VP. If something happens to McCain and she becomes POTUS, then maybe she’ll decide she’s still part of congress, plus president and then appoint herself to the supreme court as well. She just might take Bush’s unitary executive theory all the way.
What size mattress on the floor? :smiley:

(for the humor impaired, most of what I just said about Palin is satire)

Hey, one of you can sleep on my floor for a couple of days. Warning: I live in a bachelor apartment.

I left after Bush got elected. I have an apartment that may be available in Prague. Not sure about our schedule yet, but it’s possible.

You know, I don’t think the Republican death squads are going to start knocking on people’s doors and dragging them off to the camps the very DAY McCain is elected. If you were set on leaving you could probably spend a little time to prepare instead of just showing up in another country with the shirt on your back.

Like Antinor01 describes, I live in ICeland.

IReland is probably still pretty decent.

The mattrass is a standard 90 cm. But worth mentioning is that I live in a “studio” apartment :wink:

This. Out of curiosity, how do other countries view U.S. political refugees? I have to admit I can’t type that phrase without chuckling a little bit.

Laudenum, on the other hand, lives in IReland, which explains his comment. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know this has been discussed here before, so I’ll repeat a comment that matches my own sentiment: I would explore the option of leaving the US - not because of President McCain/Palin - but because of what their election says about my fellow countrymen. In other words: I would no longer feel “welcome” in my home country.

I’m hoping it really won’t come to that, but if it does, I figure Canada is the most practical. I’m old, but have good SQL Server skills; not sure if there is a market for that worldwide.

Oh crap :frowning:

My sincerest apologies to Laudenum for misunderstanding.

As long as they aren’t Gwyneth Paltrow we don’t really care.

:stuck_out_tongue: I was scratching my head for a sec there, trying to figure out why you were insisting I lived in Iceland.

I do, and your reply came straight after mine and it just seemed so suitable to the current situation here :wink:

Sorry mate.

Laudenum, is that what you did, (get in a huff and move), or are you saying Irish politics are worse?