Obama Funny; McCain Funny Again

I laughed when Obama said “I am not the Messiah. I was born on Krypton.”

It’s pronounced Throatwarbler Mangrove.

McCain has always been good with comedy. The bit he did at the end about how Obama’s speech was going to be the funniest thing in the history of the world had me rolling. As did his shout out to Hillary.

I saw this last night on MSNBC and it made me feel so much better about the election. After seeing the bullshit racist stuff the California GOP was spouting yesterday, it was nice to be reminded that these are people. We need more stuff like this.

I have never ever seen Obama so nervous! He could hardly stand still, either. Mr. Cool can face debates, spiders, door-to-door canvassing and international media scrutiny, but giving a funny speech rattles him. You might even call it his kryptonite. It’s kinda cute.

That was very funny. Gotta say McCain has better comedy delivery.

Agreed. Of course, he’s had more practice. The Hillary line was priceless. I thought she was going to pee herself a couple of times.

Could be my bias showing but I thought Obama’s delivery was smoother. Some of McCain’s jokes took too long to set up. The most memorable was his intro of Obama – that was brilliant.

McCain is a funny guy. He always has been. I am reminded that I am charmed by this version of John McCain. Where the hell is he on the campaign trail? It’s like watching Dole on Letterman after the election, all of a sudden he was a clever, real, funny guy.

Also, whoever wrote that speech, that is some funny-ass conservative-leaning comedy.

They are Senators. The principle job requirement is to be able to be able to get along with people with whom you have fundamental disagreements. At any point, roughly half of your ninety-nine colleagues are going to be people that have an opposing viewpoint. And maybe a quarter of that half are people you wouldn’t piss on if they were on fire. But you might need their vote. Pretty much every bill requires a sponsor from both parties.

I don’t think he was nervous i think he was having a really hard time containing his laughter at several points.

That would have been really hysterical had his timing not been messed up by the applause he got.

I haven’t seen the video yet, but I thought this was funny, from the news article:

Obama also had an explanation for his middle name, Hussein. “I got my middle name from somebody who didn’t think I would ever run for president,” he said.

Yeah, Obama seemed stiff and out of his element, but overall it was a great change from all the foaming-at-the-mouth we get on these boards.

It’s reassuring to know the candidates themselves, are still human.

Not to destroy the joke, but at the time he got the name, was Saddam a figure of note?

No, but the joke is still funny until you remember that.

Thanks for sharing this, Sampiro. Very cool.

I knew I liked McCain before - from stuff I’d read about him in past elections and from his appearances on The Daily Show. I feel better about him now having had this reminder of why I thought he was an OK guy.

I liked Obama’s other joke about his middle name, that his middle name is actually, “Steve.” “The Republicans keep getting my name wrong. It is Barrack STEVE Obama.”

He also said “My first name, Barack, is a Swahili word meaning that one”.

What was the reference to Giuliani’s cross-dressing about?

I may be naive, but I think both Obama and McCain really do respect their opponents. They also just know how hard you have to play to win the presidency.

So how do you say Jor-El???

Is it a usual part of the electoral process in the US for the Presidential candidates to take part in a really shit comedy stand-off?