Occupations of SDMB members

Throw in a crossdressing brother-in-law and a sassy nympho 80 year old landlady and I think you’ve gotta sure fire sit-com hit. (I’m seeing Stephen Weber, Nathan Lane, Joan Cusack and Lily Tomlin…) :slight_smile:

SAHM, librarian, and homeschooler, all in one package!

Aircraft Functional Test Technician. Work for large aerospace company in the Seattle area. Current assignment is passenger oxygen and interior lighting and accomodations on all models of the 737. I also assist with installation of the interior items such as seats, galleys and video equipment. Stewardess hate me when I fly, I bug them to let me fix things I find wrong but they won’t let me.

Despite my username, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a chef (although I’m a fairly accomplished cook). At present, I’m a Facilities Manager with a broad background in construction, maintenance, etc.

Newspaper editor and proofreader here. I be (one of) your peeps for language skillz. :smiley:
“I” before “E” except after “C” is my motto.

Broadcaster, which includes announcer, producer, sound recordist and engineer. A branch of this is in the digital restoration of old recordings, from cylinders to LPs.

I am a network technical analyst for a very large, national company. I work with a group whose job it is to monitor the company’s data network, and to troubleshoot and fix said network’s problems.

At home I am a cat-wrangler.

Didn’t he work with Art Vandelay?

High school student

Professor of Biology (biochemistry and genetics)

Am I among the elite? I am blue collar.

I am a kiln fireman. I burn bricks.

Lonesome

no you are thinking of my good friend Art Vandelay :slight_smile:

I’m the Quality Assurance Lab guy for a midwestern U.S. regional brewery and I fill in at the brewhouse when I’m needed.

Silenus, we should chat!

Besides or including what has already been mentioned, this board at least one: a.) cop, b.) geologist, c.) geophysicist, d.) numismatist and a couple of airline pilots. There are a few active duty servicemen, a firefighter, several biologists and quite a few IT people and web design folks, as well as a housepainter and an urban planner. I can think of at least one postal carrier and a bartender, quite a few musicians, an auto mechanic and a machinist. We also have a physicist, a waitress, a frycook, a few teachers, an editor, and probably at least one adult who lives in their parents’ basement. Hi mom!

Professional feral cat trapper.

Physician, board-certified in Family Medicine. Practicing over 20 years now. For the last 3 and a half years, the practice has been in a maximum-security prison, treating inmates only.

Does that mean you are the professional clown? :wink:

I know also that there are quite a handful of lawyers, a couple linguists, and even a political aide. (can’t remember who though)

Oh, and quite a few students of life. :slight_smile:

Talk about some SDMB PR material! A first compilation:

(If you feel there is a better title for something or if I just overlooked a post, do tell! Not all of these were straightforward to water down into a word of two.)

aircraft functional test technician
architect, esp. multi-family highrise
author
backflow device tester (water processing?)
bank manager
bartender
biologist
brewer
brewery quality assurance, um, technician?
broadcasting, various
broadcaster
chemist
computer scientist
cross-connection control (water processing?)
debate coach
distribution operator, drinking water
cartoonist
courier, confidential
curator, exhibitions
editor, various
engineer, aeronautical
engineer, electrical
engineer, mechanical
environmental scientist
facilities manager
firefighter
frycook
geologist
geophysicist
homemaker
hotel manager
house painter
information technologist, various
kiln fireman
lawyer
linguist
librarian
machinist
mathematician
mechanic, automotive
medical laboratory technologist
mother
music teacher
musician
network administrator, Level III
network technical analyst
numismatist
ornithologist
pilot, airline
personal banker
photographer
physician, family practice
physician, various
physicist, general relativity
physicist, particle
police officer
political aide
portfolio manager
postal carrier
puzzle editor
search algorithm designer
servicemen, various
sound engineer
student, various
teacher, secondary (various)
trapper, feral cats
urban planner
veterinarian
waitor/waitress
winemaker

Journalist - with all that entails. Currently I am a newspaper editor but have worked about every desk in a newspaper including: photographer, writer, news editor, copy editor, columnist, correspondent, etc. I have also worked in TV and radio news.

I have also taught journalism at the college level and at the secondary level.

Except in words such as;

science, deity, weigh, neighbor, beige, cleidoic, codeine, conscience, deify, deity, deign,dreidel, eider, eight, either, feign, feint, feisty, foreign, forfeit, freight, gleization, gneiss, greige, greisen, heifer, heigh-ho, height, heinous, heir, heist,
leitmotiv, neigh, neighbor, neither, peignoir, prescient, rein, science, seiche, seidel, seine, seismic, seize, sheik, society, sovereign, surfeit, teiid, veil, vein, weight,
weir, weird

But I mean a rule with so many exceptions is still a “great” rule, right?

:wink: