Oddest place you met someone you later went out with

Ditto, here…except we’ve been going strong after 6+ years.

And now that I’ve read the whole thread, I don’t think meeting on the computer/bbs/internet qualifies as odd anymore. Too many people have done it!

OK, so the BBS thing might not be all that odd. Does it help if I say that I was introduced to her online by a friend of mine who was dating her at the time? :wink:

The only other serious relationships I’d been in were with a girl I met while working as a YMCA youth trainer (she was one of the trainees) and a girl that I met on Prodigy.

Canada. More specifically, Old Québec City.

It wouldn’t be that strange except for the fact that I’d gone to school with her for five years up to that point, and we’d never so much as said “hi” to one another. I ended up dating her all through high school.

To add to the coincidence, a good friend of mine – whom I had also gone to school with and had not often spoken to during that time, and did not become friends with until years later* – met his current wife in Canada, only to discover that both of them had lived in Roanoke for eight years, and had never met.

Moral of the story: go to Canada. You might meet someone special…and it won’t even be a long-distance relationship!

*though not in Canada

Every girl I’ve ever dated, with two exceptions, I met through either my high school marching band or my college marching band. As for two exceptions, one I met at a recruitment week for high schoolers at the U.S. Naval Academy and the other I met in my dorm freshman year. And the night we got past the occasional hallway nod, she was in another guy’s bed. But I swept her off her feet and out of that guy’s clutches into my own. (He got the better of the deal.)

–Cliffy

Crossing a street in downtown Houston; I stopped her in the middle of the intersection and told her if she didn’t have dinner with me that night I would probably die. She said she would hate for me to die; we met after work that night and dated for close to a year.

Awwww…that is so sweet LouisB.

Or it could be bordering on psychosis, I can’t quite make up my mind which.

:stuck_out_tongue:

On my hand.

I was sitting around in a field in the dark with my friends getting stoned, and she - a friend-of-a-friend - joined us. She accidentally sat on my hand. I wiggled my fingers, and we ended up going out for six months.

Dunk tank at a county fair.

I was the dunk tank girl. We were raising money for the local search and rescue group a friend of mine was a member of. (Why was I asked? “You can make people want to dunk you.” Gotta love my friends. :rolleyes: )

He dunked me. Saw me later when I was on break and offered to buy me a funnel cake. Two years later, we’re married.

I met my husband-to-be while sitting in a hot tub. Naked, I might add. He offered to rub my shoulders, and that’s all he rubbed - didn’t even try for a side-of-the-boob fondle or anything.

Heh. I thought you misspelled “drunk tank”. I bet you get that a lot.

some comedian does a bit about picking up girls at a VD clinic because you know they are sexually active- if anyone has ever done so, that would probably be the best one- or do they still have VD clinics?

met my GF (soon to be wife) on the Washington State Ferry–not a place I would have considered as a pick up place.

I commute everyday via the ferry and we struck up a conversation and the rest is history :slight_smile:

Usually after a couple of drinks :wink:

On a related note, J. Grant did one about abortion clinics over at Flem Comics (warning: that particular comic is work-safe, but Flem in general got deliciously offensive). He had another one about the VD clinic, too, but I can’t find it at the moment.

I met one guy I dated while working at the law library in grad school. I also dated the guy that delivered beer to a bar I bartended at. I also dated a couple of guys I met while working at a vet’s office.

I met Mr. SCL at college.

Met my hubby in my boyfriend’s living room. He was seeing the boyfriend’s sister at the time. We did not get together anytime soon after that. But that was our initial meeting.

We saw each other crossing the same intersection at least twice a week; we had begun the smiling at each other thing and I just decided to speed things up a little bit.

High school prom. Ten years later we started dating. We’ve been married eleven years.

I have a male friend who went to a knitting club meeting on a whim (he wanted to learn). He met a nice girl there and married her two years later.

I met a nurse I later went out with at a Red Cross Blood Drive. She was taking my blood. That was weird.
I met my wife, Pepper Mill, at a Science Fiction Convention. a WorldCon, in fact.