"Oh really?" "Are you sure?" "I didn't know that" ... JHC

“Oh really” can be changed in meaning a lot by how the intonation is done. It can be used to mean “you must be joking” or “that’s amazing” or “that’s so typical of him” or lots of other options. It bugs me when a specific person I often talk to, says the “oh really” in the tone that usually means “I don’t believe you” but in actuality she means “I’m listening to you but I don’t care much” =D

That’s the kind of thing you mean, right?

For me, it often means “I’m not listening but I don’t want you to know that.”

oh, really…

I used to have a friend who responded to my “Really?” (meaning “that’s surprising” or “tell me more”) with a snarky “No, I’m lying.” That got really old really fast.

I have to side with elbows on this. When someone is consistantly questioning every statement you make, it gets tedious rather quickly. If you ask me a question, I respond, and get a follow up of “How do you know?” I have to ask why you asked the question in the first place.
I’ve noticed this tends to be a female trait. If a guy asks me “Hey, what star is that in the sky?” and I say “Oh, that’s Betelguese.” “Cool.” That’s the end of it.
Same convo with a woman…“What star is that?” “That’s Betelgeuse.” “Oh, how do you know?” “Because I went to University and spent months in astronomy class learning the relative positions and names of the more popular stars in the major constellations so I could pass the course. Which, surprisingly, I did.”
“Really?”
“Nope, just fucking with you, where’d I leave my beer, I seem to really need it at the moment.”

If you don’t like it when people attack you, then don’t attack them. That’s a pretty basic social interaction skill, too.

Oh, and don’t think the OP is so stupid they don’t see that you intentionally used the two phrases they said annoy them in order to piss them off.

Shit just got serious.