OK: NYC-Metro Area Dopers – How About A MetroDoper Summertime Pool Party?

So, how many are actually up for it? Might we meet in Midtown and all tool along toegther to Lawn Guyland, wherever that is? And find out how to get home at a reasonable (or relatively so) hour? I can try to squeeze myself into some of my old Mack Sennett Bathing Beauty costumes, I guess . . . Splash my tootsies in the pool and sip a Long Island Ice Tea while cabana boys spray me with sunscreen.

Hot damn, this is coming up, isn’t it?

No promises, but if there is indeed a Midtown Meetup, please shoot me an email.

I think a Midtown Meetup would be the best way of getting the most people out there, as most of us know nothing of the route that Livingston hacked through the wilderness to Long Island. What time? And where, the most convenient to the blast-off site?

Lead us not into Penn Station…but maybe you know a cozy bar somewhere near… :cool:

Well golly. As it turns out, I had to come home early from West Virginia so now I’m around. I’m not sure I can come, though. The reason I came home early was because mom broke her arm and needed surgery much sooner than expected, so I might be needed at home. OTOH dad will be around. We’ll see, eh?

John, what time frame are you thinking for this?

NYC dopers - the LIRR stops in Seaford. I don’t know John’s address but I imagine he can help out with directions from the station. And, if I can go to this soiree, perhaps I can meet people at the station and give them a lift.

P.S. I’m a bit miffed I wasn’t in that big spoiler box of people who’ve previously attended events. Sure, it was only one, but dangit I was there!

Is this happening this weekend?

John–could we get driving directions posted, please? Thanks. And Garius, yes, it’s this weekend.

I may have to bow out, I’ve been having, ummm, “tummy troubles” for the past couple of days . . .

OK, I think I came up with a somewhat pretty unique way to post my exact locale where only members with search capabilities can figure it out. It’s no big deal in either case - I’m listed in the phone book.

From all points (East, West or North): Get thee to the Southern State Parkway. I’m a stone’s throw off exit 29 (Rt 107). When you come down the exit ramp, you make a right at the traffic signal and the IMMEDIATE right @ that light - which is Alken Ave. For all intents and purposes, @ the bottom of the exit ramp you’ll literally be making a right-handed u-turn at that traffic light. When you see this place, you know you’re there.

From points Northwest - IMHO, the quickest way to my exit number is to come south on the Wantagh State Pkwy to the Southern Pkwy East…you’ll avoid all the congestion that way

Delivering you from the Evil of (Robert Moses’) Penn Station: Take the LIRR; (the level below NJT/Amtrak). You’ll be taking the Babylon Branch out of Penn to the Wantagh Station. After the Jamaica hub, the stops are as follows: Lynbrook, Rockville Center, Baldwin, Freepost, Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford. Why Wantagh and not Seaford you ask? Well, because there isn’t a cab stand in Seaford but there is one right on Railroad Ave in Wantagh. But if you’re railing in and can’t afford a cab, take the train to Seaford, call me on my cell and I’ll pick you up in my car. It’s a Mustang, so seating is gonna be tight.

My address is: (po’ boy 's user number) Alken Avenue and my place is (jcrandall 's user number) houses in on the left hand side.If you’re coming via space shuttle, here’s what you’ll see upon parachuting downward.My e-mail address is linked and if anyone needs my cell phone #, it’s (914) (intermix 's user number)-(cake 's user number).

Speaking of Billdo, I always sympathized with his efforts in trying to pull together those larger scale events. I’ve always noticed that trying to get Dopers to converge in a single place at the same time is akin to herding cats or trying to keep frogs in a wheelbarrow.

The only responses I’ve received via email were:A gracious decline from Billdo & His 'Better Half
and an
'I’ll be there unless it’s teeming buckets (as opposed to millionS) from Kris (a.k.a. Cosmopolitan)Come on now Dopers, I don’t wanna sound like a parrot. Let’s get some definite, “I’ll be there’s”. I need some sort of head count bt Friday night so I can finish my shopping Saturday AM.

Optimistically Speaking: Here’s my last call out: What say you Metro NYC Dopers? Any time after 12 noon is fine by me. I’ll be expecting you.

Pessimistically Speaking: If it’s a total wash-out; either because of the weather or no one being able to attend, it’s quite all right - there’s always next summer.

All right, in typical Billdo fashion, here’s what I’m a seein’. As I said above, trying to get Dopers to converge in a single place at the same time is akin to herding cats or trying to keep frogs in a wheelbarrow.

Bites:
pseudotriton ruber ruber - If you’re driving, just to clarify, LIE->Northern State->Wantagh Pkwy->Southern State Pkwy.
cosmopolitan - I’m thinking the weather’s gonna cooperate, so I marker her as a yes

Nibbles:
saramamalana - Hope to meet ya’ & Mom’s recovering well
eve - Hope the tummy’s feeling better. Perhaps some toast & tea will do the trick
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup - How strong I do not know

Incognita:
garius - Yup, it’s this weekend or not in 2005 - I’m booked the retst of the summer
Beware of Doug - Stay outta the Blarney Stone on 8th
Ace309 - Whether or not a ‘Midtown Meet-Up’ preciptates is anyone’s guess.

Barring a last moment sea-change, it looks like (in terms of attendence) those Gettysdopers from the Granite State dun kicked out asses.

Ah go on then.

I’ll probably email you anyway to get a phone number, i’m still trying to determine how on earth your transport system works so may get lost :wink:

Be warned this means that, if the weather holds out, you may get to see some blindingly pale English legs :smiley:

Want me to bring anything?

I don’t want to come off as a newbie or anything, but who the hell are Po’ Boy, jcrandall, intermix, etc.? I mean this is a big place.