Old british sitcom?

This may get shuffled off to CS, but I’m putting it here as I’m looking for a specific answer and I think Brit. Dopers are more likely to see it in GQ.
I lived in Bermuda from '76 through '79, TV selections were very limited, but I enjoyed a certain sitcom, almost surely reruns from an earlier period. It was about an inept, blundering group of men in the “Home Guard” during WWII. I’m pretty sure the title was “______'s War”.
It keeps popping into my head from time to time, much like an elusive song. I’m curious to see if it’s featured on a web site somewhere? I’d like to see the cast and see if any of them went on to greater thing’s?

That would be Dad’s Army, and it was actually in its’ last season during the period.

BINGO! In 7 minutes, the dope is amazing! Thanks much!

Great Og, most of the cast were ancient codgers already.

I see that, and one of the youngest died during production.
It’s a funny series, I’m glad it has such a following all these years later.

And the song was, “Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Hitler.”

“…If you think old England’s done.”

Geez, miss those old codgers!

Ian Lavender, the young and stupid ‘private Pike’ went on to a few other things and was recently (a few years back) on Eastenders.
When I was in primary (junior(?)) school choir, we used to sing “Underneath the Arches” by the same bloke who wrote “Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler” - our teacher thought that would make the song seem cool. We were 8 years old and supremely unimpressed.

One of the funniest lines in any sitcom ever.
Don’t tell him Pike!
Admittedly, could use a bit of context.

Heh. That theme’s back in my head now. :slight_smile:

[German U-Boat Captain]
“Für qvoting zat line vizout context, Herr Small Clanger, your name vill also go on ze List!”
[/German U-Boat Captain]

[Adding to above post…]

Since I’ve just realized that “Whistle While You Work” is particularly appropriate for you, Small Clanger, your name is definitely going on ze List. :wink:

:slight_smile:

There’s also a radio version. I don’t know which came first, but it’s common for British comedies to start on the radio before being picked up for television. BBC7, the online and digital station for old comedies and dramas, is currently running Dad’s Army on Fridays. You can listen to it online for six days afterwards.

<mod>

Off to Cafe Society.

</mod>

Flanagan and Allan are (or were) the performers who did the theme song for “Dad’s Army.” They were genuine old Music Hall stars, well known before the war, and v. popular for keeping up spirits with hits like Run, Rabbit, Run.

The Home Guard started off as the LDV (Local Defence Volunteers), but soon got the snappier appelation of Home Guard. A typically British combination of improvisation and muddle-through, it gave a chance for older men (mostly Great War veterans, but also many Boer War men who were in their 50s or better) to turn out and “do their bit.” At at time when British Regular Army units barely had enough rifles to go around, Home Guard units often had to practice with broomsticks or even iron fence-palings as pikestaffs, but it didn’t seem to dampen their enthusiasm.

My uncle was one of the youngest Sergeants-Major in the Home Guard; he was an electrician, fitting radar sets to Royal Navy ships in “a west coast Scottish seaport” during the war, as being in a reserved occupation, was not allowed to quit and join the forces, as he wanted to do. He was allowed to go into the Home Guard, and at 19, his enthusiasm and ruthless organizing ability allowed him to rise to a position of some authority. After the war, he became an IBM executive, which goes to show something or other.

[nitpick] It was actually Bud Flanagan alone. [/nitpick]