(Old) Firin' up the grill in the MMP

Morning, all! At just before 11am it’s cloudy, damp, and 69°F, with scattered showers expected all day and a high of only 71. It doesn’t feel like late May, but I know it could be worse.

I’m not a griller. I don’t even cook for myself inside; grilling for 1 is definitely not worth the effort. One of my BFFs enjoys grilling, though, and I like burgers and steaks (as long as they aren’t chargrilled; I’ve never liked Burger King’s burgers).

Yesterday’s brunch jazz jam was alright. The place had a thing where you use a QR code to both see the menu and place your order (then the food gets brought to you), but the “place your order” part wasn’t working so my friends and I ordered at the bar. Happily, the food was good. The house band for the jam session was also good, and a handful of other musicians actually showed up. I sang one tune; I could have done another, but just wasn’t feeling it. The jam session will return in a few weeks, but I’m not sure if I’ll go. I’m still struggling with my musical focus. A few weeks ago I was all “I know, I need to start going to jam sessions!” but then yesterday I realized I couldn’t answer the “to what end?” question. I still love listening to jazz and singing the Great American Songbook, but now I think maybe it’s some things about the jazz scene/the way jazz performances work that are what’s not right for me. I’ll keep mulling.

I started my laundry this morning (I’ll put it in the dryer at lunchtime), but otherwise I don’t plan to accomplish much today other than finishing my Van Gogh (N.O.V.G.) LEGO set. Although sometime this evening I’ll probably start organizing all of the stuff I need for Saturday’s event: my NAACP branch will have a table at a local pride festival, and – as the Membership Chair – I’ll be there from 10am (for setup; the festival starts at noon) until 6pm (or whenever takedown finishes). The big “getting ready” push will happen Friday evening, but I know I’ll feel better this week if I at least start gathering things today. (Luckily, so far the weather forecast for Saturday looks good… :crossed_fingers:)

Turns out there’s a bunch of stuff from the end of the previous thread that I want to comment on… :smiley:

Oh man, that brings back a memory: in the summer of 1990 – between my freshman and sophomore years of college – I got my first car, a white 1981 VW Rabbit, and I decided to drive some friends to the movies the next night. The parking lot’s light posts were set in big round concrete slabs painted bright yellow, and when pulling out of my spot (which was next to one) I thought I had enough clearance on the passenger side…*sigh* Suddenly I had a white car not only all scraped up on the passenger side, but with streaks of yellow. I figured my mom would kill me for messing up my “new” car so quickly, so my friend Patrick and I went to his place and sat in his driveway with a bucket of soapy water, a hose, a couple of flashlights, a Dobie pad, and some Soft Scrub with bleach. :grin: It helped a tiny bit, but didn’t really work. Luckily, Mom didn’t get as mad as I expected. I no longer remember whether the Rabbit spent the rest of its life with yellow paint on the passenger side, but it might have. By 1994 it was costing more in repairs than it was worth, and I got my first new car/my first 2-door (a Mitsubishi Mirage).

Everything, all the time…

Hit it!!

I always thought bonnet = hood?

That was kind of awesome!

Nah, I prefer not to bore folks with “in progress” pics. :slight_smile: I expect to finish the set today, though, so I’ll be sharing a photo tomorrow!

My first guess was either Microsoft or Apple… :smiley:

Duh!! :slight_smile:

Hopefully they offer a discount for a multi-child household…? :crossed_fingers:

Oh man, I’m the same way! I don’t always believe that the worst case is true/will happen, but I always have to think through it. I think it’s a coping mechanism; I need to feel prepared (or at least as prepared as I can be).

I agree! And that’s a great color for you.

HA! Nice “small word” story. :slight_smile:

Holy b.s., Batman! :people_hugging:

How did you know?!?

(Oh, you don’t mean me… :grin:)