(Old) Funny things you overheard in the MMP

Well, not here here. Although, we have enough funny quips that I’m sure there have been memorable gems.

Anyway, I stopped at Walgreens quickly last night, and overheard:

Person 1: “I’m really more of a ‘chicken and rice’ kind of guy.”

Person 2: “Like … {utterly baffled tone of voice} like, chicken and rice lasagna??!?”

Person 1: {tone of patient exasperation} “Nooo. I don’t eat lasagna.”

… pretty sure it was two mismatched clerks passing the time, but I had to stifle laughter.

One of these guys is tryin’ to eat all healthy, and may well outlive us all; the other guy is gonna die of a heart attack face first in a pile of pasta with a smile on his face.

First! Morning, mumpers! It’s currently 8c/46f with a predicted high of 13c/56f, and partly cloudy. That means it’s also partly sunny! Weather app says “It’s partly fucking cloudy. It’s not so fucking shitty.” Yup, that just about sums up the day so far.

Funny things I have overheard…I work with students, given that they’ve made it into a higher education institute, they’re often not the brightest of sparks. We have some very clear policy guidance on assignment submissions since all of our coursework is uploaded to a virtual learning environment. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to explain to students what “late” means. They like to argue that a deadline of 12.00 noon means they’re not late until at least 12.01pm. Nope…noon and a few seconds, that’s late.

The most amusing one that stuck with me for ages was a conversation a couple of girls had in our reception area, talking about their plans to go grocery shopping. The topic of conversation was whether or not you could freeze lettuce!

Could? Sure. You can freeze anything that fits into a functioning freezer.

Should … ?

I forgot it was Monday! Hi there. I woke from another W A.D.
Its too early to think of something funny I heard/over.

You know the saying - just because you can, doesn’t mean you should! It might work, but when it defrosted, you’d probably end up with a sodden lump of nothing

I heard one recently in the supermarket.
A mother passing with her pre-teen daughter. And, as I look for what I am after the daughter says, bright as a button, “I found the fucking almond milk.” The mother, embarrassed, I imagine, by my proximity calmly says, “We aren’t using the F word today.” And just as cheerfully the daughter replies, “I think we fucking are.” And I just burst out laughing, presumably ruining mum’s opportunity to teach a valuable lesson.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 55 Amurrkin out and mostly cloudy with a predicted high of < snerk > 69! < snerk > and mostly N.O.S. for the day. We shall sloth at da cave durin’ the day and then head over to the church house for men’s night. Thus, steaks are marinatin’ and beer is chillin’.

I was once asked by someone I thought (silly me!) was a reasonably intelligent person, “How do I get to the www.google.com.” Ummm… OK. I have only two functionin’ brain cells. He has even less!

shoe I now have a desire for chikin’ n rice lasagna, but as BooFae put it, just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Moanday Y’all!

How would that even work? Is the answer to that question reasonably sanity-safe? :slight_smile:

My stoopit brain doesn’t store amusing things that I overhear, dammit. OK, I just now remembered something that’s more idiotic than funny. We were at the zoo by the giraffe compound, and someone nearby said “They’d make great basketball players!”

Um, huh? I couldn’t even conjure up a mental image of giraffes dribbling, let alone taking a free throw. Maybe I overthinked it…

Oh, wait - thinking waaaaaay back to when my youngest sister was under 10. She was being a typical obnoxious preteen, annoying my brother. He finally snapped and said “Stop acting like an idiot!!”

To which she replied “Who’s acting??”

Yep, she sure told him! :rofl:

Well, it’s moving day. While FCD is at the apartment overseeing the load-out, I need to strip MIL’s bed, get the mattress out of the room (and to the basement, tho I think that must wait for help.) I have to remove both small end tables and the cheapie little lamps. In summary, I need to make the room ready for a headboard, two new night stands, two new lamps, and a new mattress. Well, not new - it’s all MIL’s stuff from her apartment.

And I need to launder a mess of bedding and find a new home for some throw pillows - I do so hate throw pillows on a bed. And while the room is nearly empty, I should rollsuck in there. So busy morning ahead before the UHaul gets here. I doubt I’ll overhear anything funny - I just hope I don’t overhear any arguments. This evolution will be stressful enough.

One of my friends from FL got her identity hacked on FB - FCD was messaging with “her” when all of a sudden the sales pitch started. So he reported the faker and I messaged the for-real person, and she and I chatted a bit. She knows MIL - they were practically neighbors at one point - and she was telling me about caring for her MIL some years back. Her husband was still working, so much of it fell on her, and her MIL had dementia that led to late-night walks, so they had to alarm her bed. Perspective - at least I’m not dealing with that.

Our corned beef and cabbage dinner was quite yum! Just a few spuds and carrots left over. I’m thinking tonight’s supper will be bean soup - it’s easy enough to make, which is good after a busy day.

So if you don’t hear much from me today, it’s not because I’m having too much fun. Happy Moanday!

It has been 14 weeks since my surgery. My sewing machine was above my weight limit for ten weeks and I was not allowed to lift it to set it up. This put me behind on my 2023 project. Before the surgery I signed up for my 2024 project and yesterday I finally got started. Here is the Project #5, month 1 block:

Good morning! I’ll have to thing about funny things I overheard and get back to you…

MusicMan is at the VA signing up for healthcare for himself. Yay! I am sitting here with Annie on my lap and she is licking my arm. Yuck. But, she is loved, so I am letting her. Our appointment is this afternoon. I hope it goes well because I love my little girl so much. She eased my pain when my best boy, Bubba, passed away. He was my life and like my child. Annie is a delight and I am grateful to have her in my life.
Bubba and Annie in 2019.

Good morning.

It’s 42 degrees Fahrenheit and clear outside—the expected high is somewhere around 70 degrees Fahrenheit with clear, sunny skies. There might be some light clouds here and there.

I can’t think of any funny tidbits I’ve recently heard. I’ll have to mull over it.

sticky buns, those are some cute pups. I remember Bubba.

FCM, I hope the move goes smoothly.

That looks like it’s going to be very nice, hippy.

I don’t have many plans for today other than dropping the pups off overnight at the kennel and meeting my daughter and son-in-law for dinner early this evening.

I’m debating bathing the pups, but I haven’t fully decided. The Jeep needs a wash too.

We did not have corned beef and cabbage for dinner. I can’t remember the last time we ate that, but I know it’s been a long while. We had pizza because it was easy.

Well, as usual, the pups want attention. Yesterday afternoon, I left them downstairs outside of their pen for 10 minutes. Maisie was chewing on my husband’s favorite cap when I returned to the great room. It was destroyed. :anguished: Once again, they are in the pen when I’m not in the great room.

Take care, everyone.

Mornin all. And a happy new MMP to all. I awoke early, 5am here / 8am eastern. Now 30 minutes later I’m caffinatin’ and typin’ while it’s still 90 minutes to dawn at 7am. Presently 49/9 here on the way to 66/19 and 74/23 at home on the way to 90/32. Few clouds at either end of the country. My timing sucks a bit; Florida was on a warm spell over the weekend and will be cooler this week than last.

Leaving for Mazatlán in 2 weeks, so may have one more weekend trip in me before then. Otherwise chillax locally near home and maybe get serious about planning furniture for my cool bachelor pad.

As to y’all …
From last night …

“Sleet” is the term of art. Also known to NWS geeks as “snow pellets” if larger or “snow grains” if smaller.

Dippin’ Dots are still made and sold. Often seen in airports and amusement parks. I can’t say I’ve seen them in grocery stores or a free-standing ice cream parlor in years though.

Here’s the important comment: Welcome back Shoe! You had all of us worried about you. I expect whatever was your issue isn’t gone, just subsided a bit. Anything we can do to improve matters?

Yeah. Substitute “selfish”, “thoughtless”, “oblivious”, “willfully ignorant”, “dishonest”, “short-sighted”, or any of another dozen words in that general direction and Carlin’s Comment remains depressingly true. And not just in the tautological mathematical sense. There’s a lot of leverage for trouble-making at the more outlier ends of each of those parameters.

And from today’s MMP …

FCM that sounds like a work-filled day, but one that should have a real feeling of accomplishment and “closure” (not one of my favorite words) at the end. An empty apartment is soo much better than an almost-empty apartment. Best of luck and we’ll be thinking of you.

Last night I ate a Jamaican jerk chicken street taco with rice in it. Served by a Mexican lady. Does that count? An incongruous combo in form, but familiar and yummy in taste.

Hippie that’s a fine quilt you’ve got started. Wonderful colors and workmanship. Had to be frustrating to have that long a layoff.

Funny overheard story time. …

A few years ago while late wife was semi-healthy we often took late afternoon or early evening walks on the sidewalk along the nearby beach. As did many other people, and the public beach was well used, so lots of opportunity to see, be seen, and most importantly, to overhear.

It’s late enough the sun is low and the beach is emptying as people are packing up to go home. We come upon a late 20s mom, a family wagon, a 3yo boy, and a ~5yo girl. Mom’s packing the mountain of beach gear into the family wagon, the 3yo just got buckled into his car seat and the 5yo girl does not want her day at the beach to end. “Get in the car Lindsey. NO, I wanna play in the sand. Get in the car Lindsey, it’s time to go home. NO, I wanna run in the water. Get in the car Lindsey, the sun is going down. NO, I wanna …”, etc., a couple more times. Mom is totally calm but insistent and consistent. Very skillful sounding.

Just about then as we’re passing this scene little Lindsey turns to face Mom, puts her little fists on her hips, puts on her best “I’ve had enough of this” pout face and firmly announces in her most exasperated judgmental voice:

You’re the worst Mommy in the whole world!!

It was everything we could do not to laugh out loud. I caught mom’s eye and gave her approving look and nod. She smiled back with just the hint of an eye roll.

Kids say the darndest things. And with total sincerity.

My wrap-up:

I just posted pix & vids from the RenFaire, my sailplane trip, and from this trip if anyone is interested: LSLGuy - RenFaire, Sailplanes in Orlando, and Weekend around Laguna Beach. There might be a couple more pix taken later today, and uploaded Monday night, but not many.

Best of luck on the workweek to those on a conventional schedule.

Cheers all!

On Saturday I called the general manager about my check and my schedule. I told him I was free all week excepting Monday and Thursday.
I get an email telling my schedule is monday and thursday.
Who knows what will happen?

Morning all. A brisk 41F heading for the mid-50’s later, we have a few cool days in store then the temperatures will start heading towards the 60’s and 70’s. Need to do the Moanday S’s (Shop-Sammich-Swim-Sauna) and get some soccer stuff done, but nothing much else on the schedule.

Like FCM, I don’t remember stuff I overhear, partly due to decrease hearing in my dotage (do need to go see an audiologist) and partly it just doesn’t stick with me. Will try to do better…

FCM, hope the move goes more or less as planned.

Taters, have the pups had their first bath yet? Might be a traumatic experience for them… And anything you can do about the chewing or is it pups being pups?

Sticky Buns, fingers and other appendages crossed for a good checkup for Annie.

hippie, Nice!

don’t tell, welcome to our little abode on the internet. If you’d like to stick around, you are most welcome.

boo fae, never have been tempted to put lettuce in the freeze; have asked if milk left in the car in the summer for a day is any good (dumbth).

Coppertone, W.A.D. = Wild Ass Dream? Just checking.

OK, need to get started on things. Have a good week all.

A lot of people are too stupid or too deaf to understand the difference between “I can’t work Monday & Thursday” and “I can work Monday & Thursday”. Or they are so distracted while you’re talking that 2 hours later while they’re writing the schedule all they remember is that you said the words "Monday " and “Thursday”, but nothing else.

Hint: do not tell bosses when you can’t work. Tell them when you can. Had you said “I can be there Tuesday & Wednesday, and Friday through Sunday” you might well have gotten a completely different schedule.

This has happened to you a lot of times with a lot of different bosses that you’ve told us about. Always after you told them which days you cannot work. Try the tactic of telling them when you can work and see if you get a different result.

Thanks. I had told him I am available mon-sat but the 2 appointments.
That is great advice though.

You can tell attrition is taking its toll, Midnight didn’t finish until 4:10, when usually they are done off loading by 2, and have all the trailers wrapped up by 3. My bit went the normal way, including re-stacking the overloaded truck, since the analacephlic weasel that loaded Saturday just threw things everywhere. When I got out, it was 53 degrees ferret height, with a breeze and high clouds. The weather felt like early October, but the layer of yellow on my car says otherwise.
:notes: Yellow haze, all in my brain,
Trees have airborne sex, I inhale the same
Can’t keep my sinuses free, no matter how I try,
'Scuse me, while I sneeze into the sky :notes:

Well, if you glued several thousand rice grains together, you could form a noodle-ish shaped thing.

Nice block, hippie

I like the goth bit. :smiley:

FCD got the truck and they’re all at the apartment right now. MIL is napping. I’ve stripped her bed and mostly remade it, and there are sheets in the washer. The bed wasn’t on a frame because it made it too high, but I’d propped a couple thicknesses of 2X4s under it. I removed those to get it lower for MIL, so the foundation is sitting on the floor.

I also took down the pictures in her room and hung some of her photos, but there’s space for lots more. Meanwhile, I wait for them to return while I launder.

FCD is talking about getting a puppy for his mother. I told him flat out if he does, I’m getting my own apartment. I refuse to have another dog. He brings them home and I end up taking care of them. No more. I can’t tell if he’s joking, but I’m not.

That man drives me crazy.

Happy Monday :sunflower:

And so the Madness begins. Both the Spartan men and the Spartan women got 9 seeds. The men play MSU (wait, we’re MSU;, no the other MSU-Mississippi State) on Thursday at 12:15. The Stem Cell Transplant clinic appointment is at 9:30 and generally lasts close to 2 hrs. Hope we’re home in time. The women play UNC on Friday at 11:30am. The funny thing is that if the men win, they will likely play UNC in the next round since UNC is a 1 seed (and isn’t likely to lose to a 16 seed like Purdue did last year HAHA).

I stayed up late last night doing a little research so didn’t wake up until 7:15ish. I watched some Instagram then read a few news stories on my phone while in bed and at 7:50ish I heard the pounding of little paws going very quickly down the stairs then received a text from our daughter saying Incoming. She knows that normally I am up early and can take Bella out to potty and give her breakfast so she can stay in bed longer. So, I hopped up and quickly went downstairs to take care of Bella. Then it was time to start making some oat bran gruel for Hubs. Unfortunately after I had put the oat bran, cinnamon, ginger, milk and water in the pot, my elbow accidentally caught the pot handle as I was turning to go put the milk away and there was oat bran mixture all over everything, my pants, my top, the floor, the stove, the dog bed, aaargh! So, Hubs got Carnation instant breakfast and a yogurt instead.

Already did my 15 minutes of WFH before the oat bran incident so now I need to get cracking on all the home chores.

FCM: hope all is peaceful during the move.

JtC: LSL may be blunt but his counsel is wise. I concur with what he said in last night’s late post.

Sleet is not hard little pellets. Sleet is between rain and ice falling down. Sleet has a slushy icey component to it. At least in the Mitten State. Well I looked it up in the online Dictionary which says:
US: a thin coating of ice formed by sleet or rain freezing on contact with a cold surface.
YMMV