I hope that he gets this checked out. How are his kidneys? This is sounding suspiciously like congestive heart failure.
Up from naptime. Having an Old Fashioned, Southwest style cheeseburger with fires and roasted corn with TD “Everything But the Elote” seasoning.
Yeah, it’s a real “Island of Misfit Toys” situation. Which is why I fit in so well.
![]()
Well at some point, someobdy stuck a brick in the ground and said, “this is The Great Wall of China”.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY OOPSIE!!!
![]()
Also true when reloading ammo.
{{{{Mr. Dicey and BBBoo}}}}
When my Phar-Mor closed due to Chapter 7, we shipped everything to the store in Pennsecola. The next day at clean up we had a giant CLOSED OUT OF BUSINESS sign at the front of the store. Some dude walked in, and wandered around in a completely empty store before leaving.
I feel personally attacked. ![]()
I feel the same about The Flotato.
Drink water.
Spot’s is Spot Data Catt Catt, Small Egyptian God.
So there’s a grave error in the story?
{{{{Hubs}}}}
I got to irk this morning, and I was like, ‘Well. Crap.’ It’s a good job, but it’s not really fulfilling. I can do it for another five years, but… I got a notification that a local Water & Sewer District is looking for an Accounts Receivable Technician. Considering I have around 30 years of (commercial) accounts receivable experience, I think I’ll give it a go. Yes, it involves interacting with customers; but I really like data. I’ve written a cover letter, and updated my résumé and LinkedIn profile. I have to fill out a five-page application (in pen or typewriter), scan them, and email them. I hate to bail on a new job, but this one sounds better. I’ve always wanted to irk for a government. Also, it pays half again as much as I’m making now.
I say go for it. Life is too short to stay in an ill fitting job. One of my biggest regrets is turning down an offer from AT&T because I had just accepted an offer from a POS CLEC a week before.
I had to Google. I hope to never get old.
{ HAAAH! }
And this is why I absolutely do not put up with “my usual, please.” and will make a stoooopitid face ( blink! blink! ) until you say what you want.
First off, no, I don’t remember; second off, maybe you decided to get something different for once in your life; third, here’s the newbie, do we expect someone who’s been here for 45 min. to know your order; fourth, just say what you want like a human being.
Tiny crock-pot has chuck, carrot, onion, coupla bay leaves, a bit of red wine, and worrrssshhherrrr sauce { waves vaguely } simmering. Holy bananas, that smells so good. It’s been too long since I made a bit of pot roast.
Meanwhile, I called Me Madre, who was in an unexpected decent mood, so we just chatted a while, which was nice.
Time for a late-night final. Watched some of the Moanday Night Tackleball game but lost interest (plus The Martian was on another channel and I always try to watch some if not all of it-my all-time favorite). So will get caught up and head off to bed in a bit (it’ll be after 10pm by then).
And would have sworn I posted this afternoon but can’t find it so a lot to catch up on.
Oopsie, hope the meeting didn’t run long, enjoy your evening meal.
Dicey,best laid plans… At least most everything did get accomplished.
Shoe, life in the workplace…often frustrating but seldom boring.
Nut, have suggested it to others, but a website call “Not Always Right” has lots of stories like that.
FCM, My pints of Ice Cream run about $2.49 for the Kroger brand up to $5.49 for Halo Top, which is “Lite-Low Calorie” stuff. So next time have it ready in the fridge for yourself.
Cat Glove, have caught myself doing that recently, of course I don’t have to go to work anymore so it doesn’t matter that much.
red, so glad to hear your getting back into the rhythm of life.
wet one, best wishes to Ariel. And I always have a double cheeseburger, but then again I’m probably about double your size…
JtC, probably not a bad idea to check out with the surgeon one last time. And best wishes to Hubs, I have been lucky that my heart and cardio system is behaving, nut at our ages you never know…
Flyboy, hope you can land a job your more comfortable with, my first and second Government jobs were OK, but when I got into the Foreign Military Sales section I knew for certain that I had found my work-home.
And 10:15pm, so need to see if Mark Watney get rescued from Mars (no spoiler) and then off to Slumberland. Catch y’all tomorrow.
Well, as long as Ms. Bastet was involved …
Give 'em something to talk about. “See, when you do your P.T. you get THIS!”
Good luck, flyboy on the new job prospect. Hope it goes well.
Alas, I just looked at my calendar, I’m not getting any real work done tomorrow, too many meetings.
Also consider getting him to see a pulmonologist. His decades of auto body work surrounded by fumes and micro fine sanding dust could be coming to roost in his lungs.
The Martian was on another channel and I always try to watch some if not all of it-my all-time favorite). So will get caught up and head off to bed in a bit (it’ll be after 10pm by then).
Damnit! Did they leave Matt Damon on Mars again? They should really add that to the checklist.
Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Off to heave. It’s currently 70 degrees Ferret Height(21.111 Centipedes)
Me: < opens bathroom door >
Spot: < screams > “oh, pardon, it smelt of zombies.”
Me: “Bite me.”
Spot: “At the earliest opportunity, sir.”
HAPPY EQUINOX(Fall, not Chevy)!
[quote=“Paintcharge, post:48, topic:1033239”]
Alas, I just looked at my calendar, I’m not getting any real work done tomorrow, too many meetings.
That’s making my day look good.
Morning, mumpers! It’s currently 16c/60f with a predicted high of 20c/67f and a chance of fog. Weather app says “Yet another fucking shitty day.”
Happy birthday, Oopsie!

WetOne good news on Ariel then, hope she feels better after her treatment.
{{{{{BBBoo}}}}}
JtC I hoe you can get Hubs checked out and find a good solution for him.
Dicey sorry to hear that your plans were disrupted too, I hope Mr Dicey gets some relief for his pain.
flyboy there is no shame in ditching a job for a better one. You’ve given this job a fair chance and decided it’s not really what you want. If there’s something that’s more appealing and more suited to your experience, there’s no harm in applying for it.
Yesterday was a very busy day for me, I had much to catch up on at irk and still am not feeling fully recovered from my germs so I was glad to be at home. I did make it to the gym for a spin class so I felt a bit better after that. Grocery shopping was also done, so we have food in the house again.
I remembered to gather up the rubbish and haul the biiiig bin out to the kerb for today’s collection, and went out to bring it back in earlier as the binmen come round at 7am. I’m showered and sheveled, and have a meeting at 9.30am, then another at 11am before I can think about getting any other work done.
I need to go out at lunchtime to put some air in the car’s tyres as the warning light is on, and I have to make campus food later too. I’m only on campus for two days this week, I’ve got Friday off. Our annual leave year ends next Wednesday so I need to get my last couple of days booked off so I don’t lose them.
And this is why I absolutely do not put up with “my usual, please.” and will make a stoooopitid face ( blink! blink! ) until you say what you want
That option was for the real regulars, like the ones I knew by name, knew my name even without the badge on and I was pretty sure were smart enough to be trusted with the responsibility. Mostly, in that location, the airport staff.
I feel personally attacked.
I feel sure you never had a loud, drunken argument with me because I wouldn’t turn the ‘big screen’ to show a rugby match. It was a mirror.
MetalMouse I may have contributed one or two stories to that site, back in the day…
I overslept and didn’t wake up til after 9am, which is kinda OK as I had a late night session of irkin’ on the T-word. Time has no meaning anyway.
Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 72 Amurrkin out and mostly clear with a prledicted high of 89 and sunny, but becomin’ cloudy mid-afternoon and with a chance of rain late afternoon/early evenin’. We shall see. The big item on today’s agenda is laundry. Be still my heart. I will also make a down home sup of cubed steak ‘n onion gravy, squishes, peas, butterbeans and okra cooked together, rice and cornbread. This is because I have a gnawin’ and a cravin’. Not too worry, however, cause I will make sure the regularly scheduled RDOS sloth is also accomplished.
Oopsie and JtC the stories your 'rents tell about your births reminded me of a thing my father liked to do. For background, My 'rents were married on May 10th 1946. My oldest brother was born on April 10th 1947. They wasted no time! Dad liked to say, “Doug was born on April 10th. Jean and I got married on May 10th.” Comedy gold!
JtC it’s good to have a PCP who will nag you. Mine, actually his PA, nags me until I do whatever it is I’m supposed to do. I am more scared of the PA than my PCP. So sorry about hubs. Hope they can figure out what goin’ on soonest, so he can get the treatment he needs. Raven made the smart move re fleein’ the toddlers.
FlyBoy nothin’ wrong with pursuin’ a job you feel is a good match. Appropriate/inappropriate appendages are crossed.
shoe the smell of a pot roast simmerin’ away is one of the best smells ever. Glad you had a good chat with your mom.
Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward with the laundry! Rah.
Happy Tuesday Y’all!
Mom often amuses herself by telling people I was born in a mortuary.
My mom’s youngest brother was born in a cab on the way to the hospital. My grandfather said he had to tip extra because of the mess it made. ![]()
Something I don’t understand about Aldi - they have such a variety of breads, but no rye! How can they not?? Weird.
I hate to bail on a new job
I know how you feel, but ya gotta look out for you because they won’t. I bailed on 2 post-retirement jobs. One because the person I was working with was beyond “absolute ass” status, one because despite begging for work, I spent most of my time doing nothing. Then the boss would ask for a time card and I’d tell him I didn’t know what to put down because he didn’t give me any work. Interestingly, within a year or so, the were out of business.
Plus half again as much pay is good…
I absolutely do not put up with “my usual, please.”
I never said that, but one place where we would breakfast frequently, our favorite server would show up with 2 diet cokes before taking our orders. Sadly, she’s now a manager in the kitchen, so we never see her. Happily, she’s now a manager, so she doesn’t need to rely on tips to survive.
So next time have it ready in the fridge for yourself.
I can’t keep it in the house - neither of us have much self-control regarding ice cream. So the occasional indulgence won’t break the bank.
put some air in the car’s tyres as the warning light is on
The light is always on in our truck - the sensor is bad. But considering we drive it less than 100 miles a month and for eons we never had tire pressure warning lights, I think we can ignore it. Plus it costs something like $400 to replace - that’s probably more than a dented up 2009 pickup is worth…
Today starts with a soggy 62 Ferrets. I lay about in bed this morning listening to rain and falling branches before I dragged myself to the terlit room to brush my teeth and take my meds. Just let Otis out - I need to be ready with a towel when he comes back in. He’s definitely not Princess Pretty Paws.
When I get in gear, I’ll don grubbies and head back to the boat to < interrupted to towel Otis off > touch up any paint I missed yesterday and reinstall the stuff I uninstalled (like the outlet cover and the fire extinguisher and bracket.) Beyond that, no plans. Maybe I’ll see if the clay is softened enough to work with. I need to get some ready for Roxy’s artistic endeavors.
Rain and flood watch conditions continuing thru tomorrow night. We’re high enough that flooding isn’t and issue, and if Rt 5 gets too soggy, we can detour via 235 if we need to get anywhere. And if flooding causes the crick to rise, our boat is on a floating dock, so no need to check on the dock lines.
And so the soggy day begins. Happy Tuesday!!
Good morning.
It’s 59F and cloudy outside. The forecast calls for mostly cloudy to partly cloudy skies, with a daytime high of 68F.
Oopsie, belated Happy Birthday wishes!
Dicey, I hope today is better and that your husband is in less pain.
Johnny, as others have noted, you need to look out for yourself, because others won’t. Wishing you luck.
I have to replace the bulb for my left rear blinker. I bought replacement bulbs two/three weeks ago, and they’re still in my glovebox. I should get to that today because it’s irritating when I remember, and the blinker makes that weird, too-fast noise. Plus, the warning light comes on. I’m surprised the bulb lasted this long. It’s the original bulb from the assembly line, and it’s a 2014 model.
I’m not sure what’s on the agenda today, probably just slothing, with occasional bouts of tidying, and posie care.
Please take care of yourselves.
Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. First reviews of applications will happen Monday, October 19th. Last night I updated my résumé, wrote a cover letter (well, modified an existing one), and made sure my LinkedIn profile shows my present employer. As I said, the application is five pages and must be completed in ink (or typewriter, only I don’t have one). I’ll do that on the weekend.
I made a chorizo seco from the carniceria, a tube of wet chorizo from the supermarket, a red serrano chile and five, scrambled, jumbo eggs for breakfasts. I ate a burrito made with one-fifth of it, and put the rest into a container for subsequent breakfasts.
And a good morning to all. Up about 6:30am, tried to get back to sleep but failed so have broken fast and done some internettin’, we’ll see if I can motivate myself to do anything more than that before soccer practice this afternoon. Pretty much the same weather as yesterday, 73F now heading to 90F with a chance of a pop-up T-Storm later.
HAPPY EQUINOX(Fall, not Chevy)!
I owned a Chevy Equinox about 3 cars ago, pretty good transport but nothing special…
boo fae, sounds like WFH has it’s benefits. Keep feeling better.
swampy, happy laundry day. Do you do yours and OYKW’s separate or let them mingle and figure out whose is whose later?
As for birth stories, only one I remember is that I was born a few minutes after midnight and my brother was born just before midnight (about 13 months apart), so we kept Mom and Dad up late.
FCM, believe me, I understand about self-control. For me it’s Potato chips and cookies, I cannot have a bag/box of them in the house without constantly snacking on them. I’m a bit surprised at myself that I have been (relatively) restrained in eating the ice cream, haven’t gone ‘full pint in one sitting’ yet, albeit I have been tempted…
Taters, I don’t think I’ve ever replaced a blinker light myself, props to you for doing it.
And onward into the morning. Have a good 2sDay all.
Last night, I went over my list of meds to see which ones could be moved from 10:30 pm to 7 pm on the night before my fasting blood test. I whittled it down quite a lot, and I hope to be able to take the remainder with water.
NPR just did a story about Fat Bear Week, followed by a story about exercise in fat people, and how “smart watches” are inaccurate in estimating calories burned in exercise. Watches are not as smart as they think they are. What a surprise!
Note to self: I don’t care what it looks like. “Equinox” has nothing to do with equines (horses) nor oxen.
shoe the smell of a pot roast simmerin’ away is one of the best smells ever.
Real estate agents say the chances of a sale go way up if the house smells like you just baked cookies.
Today I need to wind the clock and take a shower. I won’t do those things at the same time.
Something I don’t understand about Aldi - they have such a variety of breads, but no rye! How can they not?? Weird.
I think that depends upon the individual store. Mine tends to carry light rye and sometimes, pumpernickel.
Up, caffeinating, breakfasted and fixing to do KP. I have to go to the infectious disease doctor today, so that will waste take up my afternoon.
Y’all have a great day!