(Old) Happy New Year 2024 MMP

Wishing all our dear Mumpers the happiest of New Years! :clinking_glasses: :fireworks: :confetti_ball: :tada:

Any resolutionaries up in this mug? I’m done with resolutions, too old for them.

Need to get to bed as soon after I post my Dead Pool so I can be up and at 'em to watch the Rose Parade :rose:
Anyone else who never misses the :rose: parade?
We went on 1/1/14 and had front row seats with our backs to the sun; it was perfect. My sister and BIL will be there today; hope they get good seats.

this is a sentence
FIRST! W00T!

Happy New Year to all!

Been a while since I’ve seen it. Mostly I spent New Year’s Day working

Also:

Happy 2024 to all my East-coast Mumper friends! (As well as all the Euro-Mumpers out there)

Still two and a half hours of 2023 left here in Nevada. Mrs W and I may or may not be awake at midnight. Not like we’ll be missing much if we don’t. But I kinda want to see the fireworks on the strip (on TV). We shall see.

Sweet fez, doggio!!

Same here in Oregon.

I’ve already drunk too much sparkling wine. I would love to be sound asleep before midnight, but I have a neighbor who has what must be a (Isweardagohd) Howitzer that he loves to blow off at midnight on NYE. He lives more than 2 miles from me, but he can wake every household in the rural vicinity. No point trying to get to sleep before that beloved event occurs, so you are stuck with me for awhile.

Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Back in the day, Mom would take us kids to help decorate Rose Parade floats and then we would watch it on TV. One time we watched a couple of grown ups having a meltdown over roses that weren’t the same shade as the others. That was the first time I learned that grown ups could have toddler tantrums.

That was the best parade I ever saw…and I love parades. I participate and/or watch them as often as possible.

We once had a neighbor who shot his homemade cannon twice a year. One year we were sitting up waiting for it and heard a poof and then sirens. He had dropped the priming rod down the tube and blew off his thumb and index finger on his strong hand. Because it was a homemade device…he also got charged with a felony because the cops thought he was making a pipe bomb.

I’m not going to say anything more about that.

It has been very quiet out this way, but there is still an hour and 20 minutes. We are heading off to bed now so between my ear plugs and his no hearing aids…we won’t hear much if anything does happen.

Happiest of new years to you, too, MizCane. :slight_smile: Sleep well and peacefully!

And a Happy ‘24 to the Central time zone!

Happy New Year!!! Now a bit after 1am on the East coast. Our evening do not go to plan, but it was good.

The plan called for dinner at home 9ish then leave home around 11pm to brave the 50/10-ish chill and walk a couple-few blocks to restaurant row and pick a suitable place for a drink or 2 and give a cheer at midnight with the crowd. Then wander home. That did not happen.

Instead we ate dinner as planned then about 9:30pm Her Ladyship absentmindedly went downstairs to check on the snail-mail. Which of course doesn’t come on Sundays. Oops. And thereby stumbled on a NYE party being thrown by friends of ours in the building’s party room. Cue instant zip back upstairs, slip into a party dress, arrange hair and face, then back down we both go. I was already dressed OK for going out, so just added a sportcoat for style and warmth (the building lurves them some HVAC in the public spaces. Brrr!!)

About 30 people, mostly 30- & 40-somethings, plus a couple of retirees, massive good food, lotta champagne, and plenty of dancing music. Much later we got a big workout ball from the building gym and had our own countdown and ball+girl-drop at midnight followed by mildy drunk group volleyball. Incredibly nothing got broken or spilled and none of the ladies injured an ankle playing impromptu VB in 6" heels. Great fun.

Most folks, us included, wound down around 1am and by then Her Ladyship had danced her feet and legs into jelly. As had many other women. I danced less because my ears were really suffering, but my legs could go all night. It’s soooo much easier without 4"+ heels.

Anyhow, now home, letting stuff settle, and checking in w y’all. Bed’s next. A great start to a new year.

Around here there’s usually massive fireworks going on all evening on most holidays. Tonight we’ve heard some but not much. Color me surprised. Maybe the comparatively chilly evening pushed a few party-hearty types indoors.

Catglove: Enjoy your early parade. Which isn’t so early MI time.

I’ve been to the Rose Parade a few times as a kid & teen, and I’ve visited the after-event the next days where you can tour all the floats in warehouses & parking lots up close and personal before the flowers rot and they’re disassembled. I’ve also been to the Rose Bowl back when I was in college out there and when it was always the Pac-8 or Pac-10 championship game.

I’ve also been to the NYC Macy’s parade with the big balloons. I definitely prefer a SoCal morning in Jan to a NYC morning in Nov. One is cold; the other is frigid.

Never had much interest in parades on TV though. I can watch just a few minutes before the inane commentary drives me off. In person the crowds and the total spectacle are cool. And there’s no inane commentary. Even on a big TV … Meh.

Doggio that’s a fine fez and a fine first drink of the year. Or 12th of the year. Or even 12th of the last day of last year! One thing our party lacked was funny hats. A couple of ladies had the cute tiaras that said 2024 or Happy New Year on them, but that was it. So disappointing. There should have been silly hats.

A special and heartfelt welcome to @Aspenglow. Despite the crabby armored avatar you’re certainly a sweetie.

Good luck with your local Howitzer. Back in the day I spent 3 years on a joint base with USAF and Army. On special occasions like holidays and military ceremonial events the official brass band would play. One of their faves was the William Tell 1812 overture. With modern no-kidding artillery fire for the cannon effects. Set out in the big parade square surrounded by all the office and barracks buildings you could see all the windows flex in and out with each volley. A glorious use of taxpayer funds.

Maybe JtC’s neighbor should leave that cannon-y stuff to the professionals.

Approaching 2am so I'm signing off. G'night all!!.

Any Mountain Time Mumpers out there? Happy New Year to you!

Sounds like you and Her Ladyship had a fine time, Pilot. We are having a much less exciting night, but with less than an hour left in the year here, indications are positive that we’ll make it past midnight.

@Wheelz, I’m fading fast, so I’ll wish you and your family an early happiest of new years and risk getting awakened by the Howitzer in 25 minutes or so.

@LSLGuy, you hush. You’re blowing my cover. :wink: I wish for you and Her Ladyship a fabulous 2024.

To all, may 2024 bring peace, happiness and prosperity to you!

A few wee flakes of snow were gently drifting down as we were wrapping up the night, looking very pretty.

Plus they dampened (HA!) people’s inclination to party in the streets and set their roofs on fire. Remarkably few sirens tonight.

I did get to see some fireworks when I headed outside for my break, which was nice. I could hear them long before I found a break in the treeline to see them - they were very low on the horizon, must’ve been far away.

Things at work went WAY more smoothly than NYE last year. My Sweet Manager pointed out that last year, we had a lot of new people on the crew (“some of whom aren’t with us any more” - she was talking about The Triplets) but things just went … well. Steady, but no “90-minute wait time” bullshit.

Last car of the night, at 3 minutes after midnight (we close at midnight, people!) and these three drunk bitches absolutely hollered “HAPPY NEW YEAR!” in unison when I opened the window.

Gotta love the enthusiasm.

Driver seemed pretty well with it. Back seat passenger was partying heartily, but very friendly. Front passenger seat … couldn’t hold her head up, bless her heart. They were passing a quart of Hornito’s amongst themselves and absolutely begged me to take a shot with them.

Y’all, I was SO tempted. They were like, “We ain’t gonna tell noone!” and I mouthed, “My boss is RIGHT there. But thanks!”

Boss fed us taco eggrolls and those meatballs in grape jelly sauce (I don’t care WHAT you say, those things are goooood) plus there was another employee appreciation cake - they got behind on those and are playing catchup - and this one was red velvet with chocolate frosting for the middle filling, a combo I’ve never had before but decided I heartily approved.

Rats chewed out last night, right as I was going to bed. 3:45 a.m. is not when imma deal with that bullshit, and I had to be sheveled and at work in less than 12 hrs, so I simply closed the mudroom door tightly and hoped for the best. They all appear to still be in there - matter of fact, most of them un-escaped themselves to crawl back into their chewed out cage to enjoy warm bedding with food & water - so dealing with that is Tomorrow Shoe’s problem.

They’re going into a glass tank this time. No more fucking around.

Happy New Year.

Happy New Year, my friends! My Resolutions: to be a better girlfriend, take more consistent care of my teeth… and not to do so many drive-bys!

We rang in the new year with my folks. Had a lovely dinner (I made Buffalo chicken dip, which was, IMHO, da bomb) and watched the Twilight Zone marathon, Then toasted the New Year with some sparkling Moscato. :champagne:

After we got home, I called some family members to Wish them a Happy 2024, and now I’m headed off to Beddy bye land!

Cuddle your Ratties for me, Shoe. I miss mine.

Happy 2024, Hug the ones you love!

Happy New Year from here in the Pacific time zone!
Mrs W took a bit of a nap, but we were both awake to see the local TV countdown. Vegas puts on a helluva show. The fireworks only lasted 10 minutes, but they were pretty spectacular. But not so spectacular that I want to be down there among the crowds.

A few sips of bubbly to finish off, and we’ll be heading to bed.

I’m finally going to bed, after working on the DeathPool.

I walked outside didn’t see any big change shrugged and went back inside …

Happy New Year!

When I was in the US, especially when I lived on the west coast, I usually watched it. After I moved to the east coast, it just seemed weird to watch it, as it wasn’t at the right time, and hubby’s not interested. I think half the fun of watching is discussing the floats with others. And it’s much better in person.

We went to the parade and the game in 1991. Slept in an RV just off the route, so we were able to to and set up chairs as soon as it was allowed. Pasadena is a nice place to be on the 1st of January.

Last night we managed to fall asleep despite the barrage of fireworks. I really feel sorry for the pets and people who get stressed out by fireworks - the fireworks went on for about 2 hours. These were private fireworks, not professional. :angry:

Doggio, fezzes are cool. Which you already know, of course.

It’s 4 C / 40 F and sunny, so probably we’ll go for a walk after the first load of laundry is done.

Happy New Year to all! I didn’t quite make it to midnight. At about 2340, I found keeping my eyes open impossible so I curled up and my blanket with a murmurred “Happy New Year” before drifting off. Not that it would have been anything special if it’s made that last 20 minutes. I was the last one awake in the house anyway!

I stopped resolving but started making goals. I can be more gentle with myself if I try but don’t make my goal than when I fail at a resolution. I’ve got a few for this year: write something longer-form (ie not an update post) at least 5 times a week, finish working through one of my self-care books and make sure CtE graduates.

I used to watch it when I was a kid but fell off doing so as I got older. Now I prefer having the TV off and reading or playing board games.

Love your fez, doggio. Fezzes are cool.

pilot, sounds like your change in plans worked out for the better. I’m glad you stumbled on such a wonderful way to celebrate!

shoe, glad the night was steady rather than insane. Yay on employee appreciation food! Boo on the rats chewing themselves out.

Janis, sounds like an excellent low key start to the New Year!

And now my contrary body is saying, "go back to sleep, fool! " I think I’m gonna listen!

Happy new year, all!