(Old) Happy New Year 2024 MMP

OK, 2024, let’s set some rules right here and now! You’re going to behave! And I absolutely insist this is the year that a certain bad spray-tanned public figure is abducted and returned to his home planet. The sooner the better. Dammit.

FCD and I started re-watching Shetland last night, and when the second episode ended around 9:30, I headed back to bed. No idea how late he stayed up but I know I was unconscious well before 11. At one point in the evening, I caught a bit of fireworks out the window and I think we heard a couple of booms, but that was all before 9. Silence thereafter, unless I was deaf as I slept.

Anyway, Happy New Year! I plan to finish futzing with the houseplants that I didn’t tend to the other day. And the dishwasher needs to be emptied. And I thawed a small hunk of poke loin so that’ll be supper - not sure if I’ll do it sous vide or rotissed. That’s pretty much the extent of my plans for today. Oh, except it’s the first of the month, so Higgs gets her flea and heartworm meds. As usual, excitement defines FairyChatEstates!

Happy First Moanday of 2024!

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 35 Amurrkin out with a dense fog advisory in effect until ten-thirty and a predicted high of 64 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. JDD and Partner are comin’ over around elevenish. We shall partake of Bloody Marys and munchies. We shall also have a NYD feast of beastloaf, collard greens, blackeyed peas, mac & cheese, rice, cornbread and peach cobbler with good ‘niller ice cream. More silliness will then ensue with some kolledge tackleball thrown in for good measure. Not much time for sloth and nappage, but day drinkin’ is covered.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then I must needs purtify. Not too worried with presentability as sweatpants and tshirt will be fine today.

Happy New Year Y’all! Happy Moanday!

Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Off today. Spot is passed out on the couch still in his formal wear. We shall sloth, and perhaps nap It’s 38 and cloudy to start 2024.

It’s not like a Moopsy chewed its way out, so good plan.

Happy gnu year!

Have you met me? :stuck_out_tongue:

Late Mumper Kopek had a one pounder. I’m not sure if he ever fired it off for NYE, or just at the English.

After the last few years, we definitely needed funny hats and much booze,

Had some yesterday, and I’ll have more today. I am not taking chances with 2024.

Year’s end came and went without us. We were sleeping soundly without the explosions that we always had to deal with in Portland. Don’t miss that or a terrified cat at all. I think we’re going to a classical concert today, which should be pleasant. Otherwise, nothing going on at Walking Dead Manor. For some excitement, I’ll set up my annual finances spreadsheet on Excel. Wheee!

Happy New Year!

I dozed off on the couch before midnight, but Buster woke me up before he went outside to potty. He likes to check on me. I dozed off again, and this time my husband woke me up to give me a new year kiss. I went to bed not long after.

The fireworks and mortars started going off around here shortly after noon roll_eyes: They continued past midnight.

In things to be grateful for, my bad neighbors did not throw loud, drunken karaoke parties on either Christmas or New Year’s, so that was very nice.

It’s currently 36F and very foggy outside. We have an expected high of around 44F with cloudy skies.

I got most of the laundry done yesterday; I need to wash towels and sheets today, and then I’ll be done. Doing that laundry and caring for the pups are my only plans for the day. I need to run the vacuum. I should wash the kitchen floor, but we’ll see how that goes. It’s hard to wash a floor when you have pups that need to traipse over it to go outside and potty.

Anyway, it’s a day like most any other around here, and that’s fine.

Wishing you all a new year that brings happiness, peace, health, and prosperity. And yes, it would be good if the year would BEHAVE; the last few have been doozies.

Morning all. And welcome to 2024. Wasn’t awake to greet the end of this planetary orbit, abed by 11pm and if there were fireworks I didn’t hear them. 32F now heading for 44F and no rain to be seen (best chance is Friday/Saturday). Plumbers are due out on Wednesday and hopefully can do the fix in one day. Otherwise I expect the week to look remarkably like most of 2023.

As for resolutions, in 2022 I resolved to join a gym and for 2023 I started drinking Diet sodas and both habits have stuck with me. As for 2024, I may look into some personal training to get on the weights and get the middle part of the body shaped up (legs and arms are getting plenty of work already). After much vacation travel in 2023, don’t have anything planned right now but probably will go somewhere.

Everyone have a great New Year’s Day!!

I always watch the parade. Love the colors. I used to watch it on HGTV, as they showed it without commercials and had intelligent commentary. That doesn’t happen now, regretfully.

Afternoon, mumpers! It’s 6c/43f with a predicted high of 9c/48f, and cloudy. Weather app says “Today’s weather: overcast with clouds and fucking sadness.” It’s definitely cloudy out there, and we have a weather advisory for heavy rain.

We were at home last night watching films, paused to flip over to the BBC’s coverage of Big Ben and the fireworks then after a couple of minutes, went back to our film. I’m not sure what time I went to bed in the end. I haven’t been up for long, still feeling really grotty so I stayed in bed much longer than I would normally. 'im indoors got up to tend to the cats, and I am planning to spend the rest of my day laying on the sofa.

I must be ill, I’ve turned down the offer to tea. Twice.

Well, technically no, but I was talking to 2024! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve showered and dressed. The dishwasher is emptied. Half the cake I made yesterday is wrapped and in the freezer for future eatage. I’ll be heading to the basement shortly to clean the fireplace and do a bit of tidying. And I’ve decided the poke will be rotissed, since it’s so thick that sous vide would have taken 4 hours. Nope, not gonna do that.

But first, FCD has gone to McD’s to fetch a couple of diet cokes for us, so I’m waiting for extra caffeination before venturing belowstairs.

Mornin’ all. Not often it’s partway through Monday morning and we’ve already got 28 29 posts! 9:30ish here, so about 2-1/2 hours past sunrise. Almost completely clear skies and now 62/17 on the way to 73/23. The various webcams show a flat ocean, fishermen in hoodies on the piers, and almost deserted beaches.

I got about 6 hours of sleep and so will want a nap later. But otherwise feeling great after a relatively sane evening. As with the last 2 days my agenda is carwash & mini-groc. Gotta actually get my ass outta my chair sometime today.

Shoe good to hear about an easy worknight, drunk bitches or no. Smart move to ignore the rats in favor of sleep, and also to get a rat container that can actually contain rats.

Good to hear from all the Mountain & Pacific folks, whether they had a party or slept right through it.

I’m a bit surprised to hear that the locals in your famously well-behaved country aren’t. Or are you back here in anarchy-land for a visit again?

That’s some real wisdom right there. Thank you.

I have an even simpler approach, albeit one I can’t really recommend: Set no goals, make no resolutions, experience no disappointment of failure. Does lead to stagnation & stasis though.

I did however remember my one goal for NYE itself. After the post-midnight volleyball died down I was yakking with a 40-something and remembered to say “That does it; I’m taking the rest of the year off!”. I got back the “confused dog cocking his head” look for a moment then a big a-ha!

Boofae now don’t you get stay sick on us.

Nearly 10 here, time to [send] & go back to slothage until Her Ladyship arises.

Life is too random for resolutions, IMO. I feel like it’s just setting oneself up for failure. One day at a time is about as far as I venture, and I’m happy if nothing catastrophic happens during that 24 hours. :laughing: That said, I’ll try not to be so negative in this forum, as it’s really not the place for it.

My six month knee review with the surgeon is on Friday, and I expect no surprises. Haven’t had any issues with it for some time now, other than the occasional pangs, which is normal.

Made it to 9 pm MT time. Later than usual. Time for some exercise for us and the pups, then they go to the kennel and we get on a plane to the E coast to do a post-holiday family(s) visit in VT. No snow in the forecast for MT, a little for VT. I’m injured so that’s good for me, but this ski town is going a little stir crazy!

All righty! I got the big pile o’mattresses organized, I cleaned the ash out of the fireplace, and I rollsucked the area around the fireplace. Also moved some of the kids’ toys out of the way. Go me! And I rubbed some rub on the poke loin.

What to do now? What to do…?

JtC that is so freaking cool that you got to decorate floats!!!

I started loving parades when Dad took us down to the Detroit Thanksgiving Day parade every year. We wouldn’t go downtown near Hudson’s, we’d go stand near the huge Vernor’s sign. As a girl, I read several books that had the Rose parade as their theme and the best team in the Pac10 played the best team in the Big10 so I had wanted to go to Pasadena for New Years for many years. Our daughter was very young and we really weren’t very liquid at the time so we had to pass on the 1/1/88 Rose Parade and Bowl but Hubs sister was a current Spartan at that time and she bought a Rose Bowl sweatshirt for me for 1987 Christmas which I happily wore on 1/1/88.

Pilot I think the party was the better option and glad Her Ladyship found it so you could enjoy. What wasn’t to love, good food, champagne toasts, dancing, volleyball, midnight smooching.

My sister bought tix to go see the floats up close & personal tomorrow.

Pearl Good resolution, good on ‘ya. The Buffalo chicken dip sounds scrumptious, would you please share the recipe.

:100:
He’s dragging our country down so instead of being great, it’s being lowest common denominator. He’s making incivility acceptable to the LCD. UGH!!!

cupcakes same as you I used to watch on HGTV. I found a station called Great American Family that is showing it (in addition to ABC & NBC). I’m going to try it and hopefully it will be similar to HGTV, fingers crossed.

Well Winter is finally here. The 50’s and 40’s of the past several weeks have been banished. The highs this week are forecast to range from 31-38 with the lows in the 20s. Merino wool is the order of the week.

Had an omelette and bacon and toast with OJ w/ mango and a cup of a Northwest Blend (hazelnut, praline and cinnamon) K cup that BFF gave me for Christmas. Need to shevel quickly now because :rose: parade in 25 minutes.

I have had my oatmeal, and Spot has been defeated by a peanut(I think that boy was feral for 15, 20 minutes tops). I am slothing through more coffee. I don’t make resolutions, I just adjust to the chaos of the moment.

Rabbit, rabbit! Hoppy New Year!

The prime rib ribs were very good. The coleslaw was as good as usual (because be mix a bag of coleslaw with a jar of Marie’s Coleslaw Dressing, and that’s it – you can’t mess it up). The supermarket didn’t have any fresh corn on the cob, so I had to get Jolly Green Giant frozen ‘cobettes’. Not as good as fresh.

We finished off two bottles of Prosecco (with dinner, and after). Not a lotta splodin’ last night. Just enough to keep Abbey under a bed. Goo just slept through it all.

The ham hock and black-eyed peas and bay leaves and water are in the slow cooker. Another ham hock is simmering for the greens later. Working on my first cuppa joe.

Technically they are behaving. Private fireworks are permitted on New Year’s Eve and August 1st (Swiss National Day). There were a few fireworks on the nights before, and I expect there might be some tonight, but the majority were set off yesterday. There’s discussion of banning private fireworks entirely, but that will take some more years of discussion before that becomes reality, if ever.

Regarding resolutions, I have an appointment with a private trainer on January 10th. My friend has been working with a private trainer and has a lot less pain and recommended I do the same. As I managed to go to the gym regularly in 2023, taking another step in the wellness direction makes sense. I see where my mom is now, and I need to put in the work now to make sure I’ll be in better shape when I’m in my 80s.

Started Typing: 9:44 AM ET
Clicked Reply: 11:33 AM ET

Happy New Year, everyone! :clinking_glasses: :confetti_ball:

I spent many hours yesterday playing with Legos, and got through section 9 of 15. More than halfway done! The set is in the “assembling various floors/parts separately” phase, and progress photos wouldn’t really look like much, so I won’t share any further pics until it’s done. I chuckled at pilot’s jokey “Tuesday” completion estimate in the last thread, but I’ll spend several more hours on it today and finishing it actually isn’t out of the question…we’ll see!

At around 9:30pm I decided to watch the first Harry Potter movie as a way to distract myself/stay awake until midnight. I paused a little at the realization that the movie was released 22 years ago… :open_mouth: If I’d gone straight through it would have ended at ~11:40pm (I chose the extended version), but I had to stop it a couple of times to let Bailey out…and also when someone on the street behind me set off fireworks at around 10pm. I actually had a perfect view of them from the couch (through the dining room window), but they were loud!! Way worse than the noise on the 4th of July. Luckily, they didn’t last long. At around 11:30pm Bailey needed to go out again, and I realized that I was tired and would rather watch the ball drop from my bed (on the small iPad I keep next to it). So I turned off the movie – I’ll finish it this afternoon – and took care of the doggy, did the bedtime routine, and tuned into CBS’s NYE show (via Paramount+) at around 11:58pm. Perfect timing to see the ball drop in NYC. Other neighbors made some fireworks racket for a while but nothing as loud as earlier, and I fell asleep to an episode of Wings (which has replaced The Big Bang Theory as my bedtime show).

I’m still going to my BFFs’ today, but not until this evening and it’ll likely be just a quick stop (vs staying for a holiday dinner). Wife BFF still has a fever and tires easily and probably wouldn’t agree to anyone else going to the house today, but it’s me – and we all want to see each other and exchange our gifts. And I want a cookie care package. :grin: And last night I learned that Husband BFF has made his famous lemon bars! I love lemon bars, and his are divine!! Unfortunately, I’m 99% sure they have too much sugar for me to tolerate well these days (post-RNY): I won’t take any of them home, but I’ll definitely have one while I’m there and will simply deal with any consequences.

I’m glad today will be another slow/quiet day. I’m not dreading going back to work tomorrow – by and large I actually enjoy my job – and I’m mostly ready to jump into planning this year’s events for my volunteer organization (the first ones are next month!), but I have a feeling January will be quite busy both professionally and personally and I’m happy to put it all off for one more day.

As for resolutions, I love this:

Hear, hear! Resolutions feel like setups for failure.

I know the start of a new year is a completely arbitrary thing, but I can’t help it: every January 1 I do feel some personal inspiration/hope. My biggest goal for 2024 is to lose the weight I regained last year – and thereby not defeat my bypass surgery and endanger my health – which comprises lots of smaller goals: continuing to do the psychological/emotional work, adding cardio workouts between personal training sessions, controlling my snacking, etc. I have professional and musical goals, as well, but nothing as critical as this one.

I’ve never seen a :rose: Parade, but this thread prompted me to do some Googling about how to stream it: it started 15 minutes ago, and I just started watching via YouTube. These floats are so impressive!

Some catching up from last year before tackling 2024’s posts… :wink:

I wouldn’t say “skillful dancing” – FCM put it way better than I did:

:arrow_up: THIS. Every time I started to “get” something, it changed. Which is why it wound up being not much of a workout: I spent a lot of time just kind of standing there, maybe waving an arm or a leg around, trying to figure out how to copy the instructor.

Like I said, I’ll try it again in a couple of weeks with the regular instructor in case there’s any difference, but if the experience is similar that will be the end of my Zumba experiment. :grin:

Ahhhhh! Thank you!!

Sounds like it! And a somewhat private party with people I know/like would beat a bar or restaurant any NYE for me.

Yay!

Bailey gets hers on the first Saturday of each month…but earlier this morning I got my “1st day of the month” reminder to change the furnace filter. :slight_smile:

Oh…oh my. That’s quite serious. :people_hugging:

Wife BFF loves Diet Cokes from McD’s, and for many years her birthday and Christmas gifts have included McD’s gift cards specifically for use on them! It’s become a running half-joke. This year her main gift is a ticket to a spring Indigo Girls concert, but she’s also getting a $15 McD’s card. :slight_smile:

Happy new year!

I fell asleep around 2200 last night, once the fireworks died down. I woke back up when they began again at midnight. Nelson wasn’t as bothered with them as usual, but was still clingy and wanting cuddled / swaddled. At least the neighbors were done with them about 15 minutes into the year.

Stay safe and healthy y’all!

Got home from church at 1. Sad not to hear fireworks.