(Old) Heading to the land of penguins in the MMP

Well, this is it - the week my spousal unit and I will head to Chile to catch the ship that will take us to Antarctica. OK, not exactly to but really, really close - we’ll cruise around the peninsula.

Anyway, I need to ask if there’s a kindly volunteer who would be willing to receive emails from me to post in subsequent MMPs should I lose the ability to post. I understand internet is iffy at the bottom of the world tho emails usually go thru. PM me if you wish to take on said onerous task!

Meanwhile, it’s snowing here, dammit! OK, barely more than flurries, but WTF??? The big worry for getting to the ship is the weather at BWI and DFW on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

And according to my sister, my mom’s bleeding issue has been traced to meds. She’s got an appointment at 10 today, and they’re hoping to get her out shortly thereafter. They have reservations to fly out tomorrow. More fingers crossed.

And Happy Moanday!!

First!! Ha, take that, Swampy!

Nature calls, and is unwilling to simply leave a message, so I’ll come back later with answers to Pilot’s questions about my ASFs from last week.

Hey, don’t sass Da Bear! He was busy PMing me to take on the task of surrogate poster if needed! Because he lurves me!!! :wink:

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 33 Amurrkin out and partly cloudy with a predicted high of 63 and N.O.S. for the day. I have a doc appointment at eight-thirty this mornin’. It’s a yes I’m still alive, re-up the ‘scripts and see the vampires thing. This means I can’t eat before I go, so I am liable to be even grumpier than usual. The rest of the day shall be spent in sloth, general overall uselessness, nappage, day drinkin’ and other non-productive things as is my wont. Tonight is men’s night over to the church house, so we’ll head over early to do the setup. I know I was a heathen yestiddy, but I’d never miss the real important stuff. Also, steaks are marinatin’ and beer is chillin’.

MOOOOOOM glad your mom is better and that she and sis will get out of Martinique tomorrow. I know they are ready to be home.

Now I must purtify and don attire acceptable for bein’ amongst the great unwashed. Woe is my life!

Happy Moanday Y’all!

Have a fun and safe trip, FCM!

It started snowing here around 5:30 last night, right in the middle of Sunday Assembly. They’d already canceled the potluck to get people home as quickly as possible, then they shortened it by only singing one of the three songs at the end. Hubby and I were able to get out fairly quickly, but Partner and Meta had to help with tear-down and left about the time we got home. The roads were already getting iffy. Thankfully, other drivers were considerate and everyone was taking their time. As far as I’ve heard, everyone got home safe.

I haven’t looked out yet this morning, but we’d had maybe .5" when I went to bed at around 9. They’re saying we may get another 2-3 inches. All I know for sure is that the apartment is chilly, the outdoor temperature is 13° feeling like 1° and I’m so very grateful that I can spend the day bundled in blankets drinking hot chocolate. It’s supposed to snow much of today and tonight. They haven’t called school for tomorrow in my county, but I’m fairly certain they will. Which will give me an extra day to -torture my kids- gain my children’s help around the house.

Not much else to report from the pond. Partly, I think, because my brain is frozen. Stay warm, so of you in the freezing weather.

FCM HUGS Travel Safe & Get lots of pictures.

Sorry I have been skimmity (yes, that’s a word) I’m really trying to keep my resolution, ya’ll.

Celebrated little nevvy’s belated birthday this weekend. (Because his mother decided we were uninvited to his party in December… don’t get me started. ) We were going to go to Chuck E Cheese, but little dude didn’t nap and decided he’d rather hang out at Nana and Papaw’s. We had a nice time anyway, and Aunt Sissy hit the jackpot with the dinosaur playset, thankyouverymuch

I found this website over the weekend https://www.simplytoimpress.com/ . I used it to make Daddy a retirement card. You can completely design, make and mail a greeting card… for LESS than buying a storebought card in some cases. I’m so stoked… ENDLESS possibilities… including custom Holy Day cards!! I can’t wait to play with it some more.

I really don’ wanna go to irk. but it’s time to make the donuts… siiiiiiigh
Happy Moanday and stay warm!

Currently 12F here in western Mitten State, and a coupla days with lows in the single digits (6F !!) in the upcoming forecast.

It’s still fucking snowing, too.

When Sweet Manager dropped me off last night, she made noises about maybe getting one of the Oven Masters - whom she was also dropping off, after previously giving a lift to one of the other “early out” girls; woman was running a friggin’ taxi service for her employees in the storm, bless her - and coming back out this afternoon to try to push my car back outta the driveway.

I declined having them do this last night, since the street was otherwise clear and I didn’t want my little blue lump to be in the way of the big plow trucks.
But since she was also giving the Oven Master a lift - and he’s a big dude - I think she was trying to prevail on him to return the favor, on my behalf.

I do question the wisdom of parking on the street while the plows are out, though.

… thoughts from my cold-weather penguin friends?

Speaking of snow …

The big mystery/excitement for the morning will be discovering what’s up with trash pickup.

I did NOT haul my big bin out last night. Absolutely slipped my mind once I was home, and earlier I’d had the vague notion that since today is a U.S. holiday, they’d pick up tomorrow.

I usually would just put it out on my usual schedule, just in case, but with the snow nonsense … yeah, slipped my mind.

I just saw a trash truck going down the other side of the street. Uh-oh!

Normally they pick up my side of the street by 7 am (an hour ago) and then come back down the other side. In which case, I’ve missed this week’s pickup.

BUT!!! The bins on the opposite side were clearly picked up, since they don’t have snow on top of the lids.
BUT!!! The bins on my side of the street all sport this season’s trendy fluffy white foot-tall hats.

SO!!! Having observed all this, I hastily donned a parka and boots (and pants, thankyouverymuch) and made the enormous exertion of dragging that sucker through about foot-anna-half deep cold, wet, fluffy stuff.

I reallyREALLY hope all that work wasn’t for naught; I’m not joking when I say I was absolutely panting for breath by the time I had it situated.

(Side note: it’s too bad the Midwest is so flat; this lake effect stuff would be absolutely bonkers for downhill skiing!
… but don’t talk at me about cross-country or snowshoeing; that shit looks like waaaayyy too much physical effort, without gravity to help ease the journey.)

Dammit, I really wanna get back up & make a hot cuppa, but Monkey has absolutely annexed my lap and is using my knee as a pillow, and how could I possibly disturb such magnificently soft, shiny fur purring into my thigh?

And now, we turn to the educational portion of our segment.
WARNING: The following contains material not suitable for those squeamish about rodents or reptiles, and reader discretion is advised.

What is a typical litter size for ASFs? And how many survive the first couple weeks? Is cannibalism an issue? How soon do they wean? etc.

Is Pretzel still pissed at you from the hunger games a couple months ago? I know diddly about snakes besides that they’re cool to look at and handle. But I’d be surprised if they have the brains to remember to be pissed.

@LSLGuy asked last week (I effed up the quote structure a bit) and can happily monologue at length about these critters.

First-time ASF moms can sometimes have just one or two, but especially for more experienced ones, a dozen or even more is not at all uncommon.

The other term for this species is “multimammate” which is a scientific term that means, quite literally, “Whole lotta boobies” and they can have IIRC up to twelve pairs of nipples, so they are well-equipped to handle making many, many copies of themselves.

They like to live in big interrelated colonies, and unlike mice, having multiple males in one group isn’t a problem. The females regularly kick their asses and keep them in line, and the males actually make good daddies (unlike many rodents) and will even play an active role by giving nursing moms a break: keeping the babies warm and herded together in a pile while mom gets a snack and water.
The young females also won’t allow the males to breed with them until they are good and ready, unlike - again, for ex. - mice, which will breed with females who aren’t really grown enough yet to physically withstand pregnancy.

If there are several litters in a group, the females will pile them together and take turns nursing the whole batch, regardless of age/size difference.
In many rodents, this can mean that the littlest ones get pushed out of feeding by the bigger, stronger (older) babies, but no, not ASFs. The moms use some mechanism to make sure the babies get rotated - I have never lost littles to this, and in fact, they seem to thrive by having the company of half-siblings.

They also have virtually zero smell. Rats stink, and mice are worse, but these guys produce far less ammonia, which is also why I can get away with keeping them in a glass tank.

They are chewing machines, and not being domesticated, are skittish to the point of being actively aggressive to humans, especially when protecting babies.

In short, they are such good parents that they’re basically Xerox machines, which is why they’re gaining popularity as reptile feeders. They essentially don’t have many of the drawbacks of other rodents (esp. smell) but have their own drawbacks many of the others don’t (esp. their rather shitty temperament, and proclivity to chew and escape).

On the other other hand, that crap temperament is, for many people, a feature not a bug.
It’s a lot easier to feed something off and not be all mushy and sentimental about the cute widdle cutey-pie when it’s just bitten a chunk out of your fingertip.

Oh, and as far as being fed, I doubt Pretzel is angry or resentful - reptiles do not have a cerebral cortex and to the best of our understanding of neurology are simply incapable of such concepts - but I think she’s unfortunately still underfed.

What I hope isn’t the case - but fear it might be - is that I’ve set off a negative feedback loop. Didn’t handle her much when she was so hungry, so the rare times I opened her enclosure was to feed her, which I’m afraid may have taught her to associate my hand with food. Which is obviously very suboptimal.

To that end, I wanna get another pair of heavy leather gloves. The ones I have, I use to handle the ASFs so to a snake’s insanely sensitive, uh, senses, they are redolent of tasty food, and obviously a bad choice to wear around her.
I’m hoping that protecting my hands will make me less wary of handling her & re-acclimate her to being picked up or held.

Meanwhile, the best course of action seems to be to stuff her face till she’s fat & happy … which ironically, since they’re starting to breed, means holding off on feeding any off for the short term, till they establish a breeding colony.

… or I make the coupla-hours drive back out to buy more.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk! :mouse2: :snake:

A classic case of feline paralysis …

Morning all. 10F here in Nawth Tejas, and a dusting of snow on the ground. Dopers “up yonder” wouldn’t deign to call it “snow”, but it’ll probably shut down half the city this morning.

Best wishes to NellieSis from me as well. Can attest that monovision is something you can eventually work around (although I don’t think I was as quick as @LSLGuy Dad was).

The new dog (Lucy) got to experience snow this morning, and didn’t like it at all. She was perplexed by being unable to sniff for the perfect blade of grass to poop on, as she does most mornings. But eventually gave up and picked a random spot, then scampered back inside.

She was also very intrigued by the fire in the fireplace yesterday. “What is this marvelous, glow-y thing which give warmth?” Or at least I think that’s what she said. She’s too young to have experienced winter, so this is all new for her.

Although the cold is a PITA, no problems so far at Casa Pullin. The house is old, but built after ice-makers were common, so no worries about water pouring out of the ceiling* in the cold. I’m sure the autos would need scraping and other prep before driving, but we have no plans to venture out, so no problems there either.

So, warm soups, homemade bread, warm fire, and watching more episodes of “Who is Erin Carter” on netflix. Not a bad day I think.

Hope everyone has a good week, and bon voyage to FCM!

*Houses built prior to (common) fridge-icemakers had to be retro-fitted to bring water to the fridge. Usually this was a single pipe running from the water heater inflow, up and across the attic, and down the wall behind the fridge. Very common for them to burst in sub-freezing weather and flood the ceilings beneath them after it got warmer.

Good morning all. Load of laundry started upon wake-up, since the flooring people called late last night and said they probably wouldn’t make it today due to the weather. Predictions are 3-5" in some places and the current temperature is 23F. I know for other Mumpers that sounds like Spring, but it’s pretty nasty for Ali-bama (And it suddenly dawns on me that this is the reason the gas stations were so busy yesterday). But I have warmth and water and food in the house, so all is well for the time being.

FCM, glad to hear that your Mom is doing OK and will be home before you leave. If the weather turns too bad, you might consider going to BWI the night before and staying at a hotel nearby. I would think Dallas may be an issue, depending on how ready they are to deal with snow/icing…wonder if they can re-route you via Miami.

Swampy, you beat me to the PM, looking forward to your Mooooomm updates as well as yours.

*shoe, interesting stuff. While it was for Pilot I am now better educated.

Real Fish, bundled in blankets drinking hot chocolate is going to be the main activity of much of the Southern USA for the next couple of days, I think. Take care.

janis (darnit I forgot already) sounds like the Birthday boy had fun and so did you. Satisfactory.

OK, onward into the week. Have a good one everybody.

Afternoon, mumpers! It’s currently 1c/34f with no predicted change for today, but it’s sunny. Weather app says “Well, there’s the fucking sun. Where’s the fucking heat?” True enough, it’s bright and shiny out there but cold. Needless to say, I went out earlier in leggings and a hoodie :slight_smile:

Moooom I’m glad you already have a volunteer for your email updates, I expect most of us would have volunteered anyway! Also, glad to hear your mum is on the mend and should be going home soon, that will be a relief to everyone.

shoe thanks for the info on the ratties, consider me edjumacated!

Real Fish I think bundled in blankets with hot chocolate is an ideal way to spend the day. I hope you and the rest of the frozen mumpers stay warm and safe.

Pearl birthday celebrations with the littles sounds like a fun weekend.

Not a lot of excitement in my day so far. I am working from home so didn’t really have to go out except I have a couple of cheques to pay into the bank. Normally I’d do that on Saturday but they cut their opening hours post-covid from 2pm to 12.30pm so now I can’t get there unless I skip the gym stuff that I like doing. Anyway, lunch break today consisted of a run to the bank, and then getting yummy food from the Indian deli truck so now I am stuffed with a chicken tikka wrap and a veggie samosa.

'im indoors has gone to his gym so it’s all quiet in the house. The mogs have had their lunch and are snoozing in whatever places they have decided look good for the next few hours. I suppose that means I have to go back to work and finish updating some of our virtual learning pages. Oh joy.

I made it to the shop, kinda wanted to just check on it since it was a whopping 8 ferret height outside this AM. Seems fine, I’ll heat it up in here, then probably call it a day. The rest of the building is empty. Neither the radio station nor the vet imaging people came in today.

Stay safe and warm, all!

Yeah, apparently.

Holy crap, y’all. That was quite the wall o’text lecture. Sorry 'bout that.

FCM good to hear Mom’s on the upswing; now you just need to get launched. I’d bet that if you can get email to work you can also get SDMB posting to work from the boat. So many folks nowadays seem to think “the internet” == streaming video. Good bet that won’t work, or at least not reliably.

We see that. :grin:

Always with the positives wave, swampy … always with the positive waves.

Mornin’ all. Happy Moanday for those on conventional schedules, and welcome to the MMP of the Spheniscinae for everyone. WIki tells me that’s the subfamily of the penguins; they come in a bunch of different genus & species. These are my favorite penguins because of how often my hair resembles theirs. The [mad scientist with finger in light socket] is often my go-to look once I’m out in public in the breeze for more than a few minutes.

It’s about an hour after sunrise as I start pecking away here. The last few and next couple of days or so mark the latest sunrises of the year, and Thursday will be the beginning of sunrise slooowly moving earlier every day, picking up speed every day until the equinox in late March. I really prefer earlier sunrises, and everything else that goes on with not-winter. All y’all should have about the same experience with sunrise times plus/minus a day.

Our day dawned cloudy but dry, temps now 77/22 on the way to 82/28. Likely to rain here and there off and on all day. As I mentioned yesterday, this has been a very gray and wet dry season for us so far and there’s much grumbling amongst the locals. Despite the pleasant overall weather situation, I really have a hard time getting going on days it’s gray even though once outside it’s plenty nice enough. Stoopit brain, and stoopit Midwestern-honed brain habits. Repeat after me: “Gray not equal cold. Gray not equal cold. Gray not …”

Stayed up too late, didn’t sleep in, and like yesterday ought to nap but probably won’t. Coupla errands or phone calls could usefully be done today now that it’s the irk-week for the irkers. Not betting on that happening.

When I lived in snow country (3-6" tops so minor league) for 20 (!?) years, parking on the street was always a losing maneuver.

Even if it was legal to park on my street on plowing days, it was harder to dig the car out after the plows had built a moat around it than it was to dig out the pile they’d leave at the end of my driveway instead. The big thing is to park far enough into the driveway that your car isn’t in the way of you digging out that ridge the plow leaves.

Wow, you think of everything. :grin:

Thanks Shoe. Late add: No apologies necessary; I at least always appreciate reading the authoritative tone of somebody who knows their shit. Regardless of which shit it is.

I’m utterly disinterested in putting in the effort to have animals, but find everything about critters quite interesting. With the exception of little yappy dogs which are suitable only for taco filling and snake feeding.

As you say, sounds like ASFs are ideal feedstock. Go critters! Make more!!

As to feeding Pretzel, have you considered building a “foyer” for feeding without exposing your hands to her attentions?

Like they use in some prisons where they open the outer door, put the food in, close that, then open the inner door to let the prisoner get to the food? Wouldn’t have to be much more substantial than a little cardboard box you could stick a rodent into, place it over the snake enclosure opening, then open the trapdoors and bingo: lunch is served with no fang-marks in your hand?

Reacclimating her to your handling can wait until she’s fat and sassy. As you say, with no functioning memory whether that happens now or later won’t make it any harder for you.

I’m not so sure Dad’s adaptation was all that quick. He got the hang of one-eyed life eventually but …

I wasn’t living near Dad at the time, but one of my bros lived nearby and they got together at least weekly. In bro’s telling there were LOTS of follies in the early months. As I’d said, binocular depth perception is really significant in close, and especially within arm’s reach. A lot of coffee (or wine) got poured next to the cup, and a lot of banging into things and knocking things over happened until he figured out the tricks.

Pro tips for Nellie sis:

• Before pouring anything, tap the end of the container on the rim of the target. Whether you aim right or miss, you can hear it and then adjust your aim as needed. Then pour. :grin:

• Don’t reach out to your blind side by habit. Aim your face until you can see your arm and hand and target, then reach. You don’t realize how much unconscious collision avoidance your brain does for your reaching arm using peripheral vision you no longer have on that side. Until you don’t have it; then each time you reach e.g., left, your left arm crashes into something your brain didn’t know was there.

etc.

Speaking of long-winded, this post is the effort of an hour, net of caffinatin’, so time to hit [send] and go haunt some other thread for awhile.

Stay as warm as possible folks!!

Cheers all!!!

My mom took a trip to Antartica about a decade ago, but on her trip, they got to make landfall. She even got to wade into the water on a beach! They weren’t supposed to take anything from the land, but she cheated by not washing off her feet before she put her socks back on, so she has some genuine Antarctic sand.

It’s negative 12 with a windchill of negative 30. Sadly, I think I win. I really want to eat potato chips today but I don’t have any and do I want to drive to the store? I’m also want to make lasagna using frozen ravioli (don’t judge!) but need the fixins.

Good morning.

It’s 18F and clear outside. We’ll start with mostly sunny skies, but clouds will move in later, and our expected high temperature is around 35F.

I hope your trip is fantastic, FCM, and I look forward to reading about it and seeing pictures.

Our little dance with lowland snow is over, not that we saw much. Rain moves in tomorrow afternoon, and while some models call for a shot of snow, it’ll melt and turn to rain. In the extended forecast, we’re supposed to move back to unseasonably warm weather.

Yesterday, I did laundry and took care of other little chores. I also played with the puppies and indulged in some sloth. Today, I need to wash those puppy mats and blankets. I did not get to those yesterday. I might also grab my rake and rake up the storm detritus from last week. There are branches everywhere. I will leave a little pile of sticks for the pups, because they definitely love sticks and playing their version of fetch with them.

Very interesting stuff about the ratties, shoe. Their parenting traits are pretty admirable, actually.

Yesterday morning, my daughter sent a screenshot of their current weather: 14 below zero, but it felt like 30 below due to the wind chill. It was also very icy there, so driving was dicy.

It’s back to work tomorrow, and I must drive to the office. I’m not super excited about that, but I have to take care of some things down there; the SD will be there, and there you have it.

I’m hoping Maisie’s new harness arrives during the day today so we can take the dogs for walkies. For some reason, Buster’s harness came yesterday, but Maisie’s didn’t arrive. Buster was not a fan of the harness, but we need to get them used to it, especially since they’ll be strapped in the Jeep for the vet appointment this coming Saturday. So, we’ll practice wearing the harness for little bits of time, and I’m hoping that by taking them walkies, they’ll like the harnesses a little more.

Well, that’s all that’s going on here. My life is mundane. Time to take the puppies out for a potty trip. My best to all.

I hope so, but my tablet can be wonky, too. Even at home it’s been weird about connecting to the Dope. And with a buncha folks on the ship hogging bandwidth, who knows? Always good to have a backup plan.

We couldn’t afford the trip where one walks on the continent. This one is a bit of a pinch, but that’s what our retirement fund is for, right??

OK, I’m about to make a frittata that will be cut up and frozen. I don’t want the eggs sitting in the fridge for 3 week and I know my daughter won’t use them, so I’ll make up some future meals. Then, who knows? No real plans for today.

My MO exactly. Time for my next cup of coffee. Yesterday my daughter sent home with me a long delayed birthday cake she made me and it is huge. Pushed to shove I could eat cake three times a day and be fine til the predicted end of this snow/death defying windchill apocalypse we’re having in the Great Plains. My tombstone may read: DEATH BY BURNT SUGAR CAKE.

Me too, see above. Coffee and lovingly homemade from scratch cake, Lutheran post funeral church basement standbys.

I enjoyed every word. Next we need some pictures of the furry little things.

I have been text whining to my sister 250 miles due east (so on the same latitude) about the merciless, unremitting grayness for at least a month. It’s soul-sucking. I could just copy and paste “gray and gloomy” into every text. She probably thinks I do.

Exactly, solid advice. Ironic, that word ‘solid’. I’d embroider his advice by suggesting that you go out and shovel away that snow-plowed ridge right after the plows pass while you can, before that ridge sits for a few hours in the frigid air and becomes a wall of ice rather then less solid snow. Ahh, the subtleties of adulting on the frozen tundra of the Midwestern plains.

Same here, through Wednesday evening. 40% chance of more snow today. More chance of snow overnight Wednesday, oh joy. I don’t have to be anywhere til Wednesday afternoon (a mile away at the public library to teach literacy), so I’m hunkering down with my stack of library mysteries. By Wednesday I may need to fight ol’ man winter and replenish that stack of trashy novels when I grumble and fuss and pull on big people pants (and bra) and go teach. My wi-fi is fiber and unfailingly reliable so I’ve always got Netflix bingeing as backup if deadtree novels run out.

I have my Irvin jacket on the couch. Goo seems a little afraid of it. I expected her to snuggle up in the sheepskin.