(Old) I owe, I owe, so off to Mump I go - A Tax Season MMP

Sat evening here and trying to catch up on all y’alls 80 (!) posts since yesterday dusk.

My day today was beach while it was sunny and the temps were in the mid 80s, then afternoon dancing indoors with rain outside and temps in the high 60s, then dinner out but indoors with temps in low 60s on the way down into the high 50s overnight. At least it’s overcast as befits the temps. Quite a dynamic weather day. But nothing compared to what most of you are dealing with.

Nellie: so sorry for Sis. Best of luck making a bad situation a little less bad.

My father was also an airline pilot. At age 50 he lost one eye to retinal cancer. After a suitable recovery period he flew jets another 8 years with only one eye until the then-normal retirement age of 60. Losing sight in one eye is no laughing matter, as Dad or @pullin can readily attest. But it is a lot less crippling than losing one foot or hand. Really.

This may help your sister or you to get some perspective. Scary as all get out, but as long as you have one good eye you’ve got more than enough to lead a nearly unaffected life.

boofae: You said a bit ago that you were finally going off to the jeweler to replace the wrong gift watch with the correct one. But I never saw the results of that effort. Did I miss your post? Did you have success? Did 'im indoors have any idea why he did what he did instead or how not-right it was?

Per wiki there are "Lakewood"s as named towns or cities in 19 states = 38%. So you’re close :wink: . But I bet you’re right and are maybe even underestimating that percentage when you get to the names of housing developments or informal sections of towns; “Lakewood” is sure one of the biggies. 'Murricans: short on imagination since 1776.

doggio the Malbecs were good. Not awesome, but a bargain price. I wish you a good solution to Ace; I’m simply at a loss.

metalmouse: I don’t know about Medellin real estate prices directly. Here’s some data points though.

• They’re seemingly kinda pricy in the upscale urban parts, on par with US urban prices.
  • OTOH, they’re definitely real cheap in the working class neighborhoods, since those folks only earn a couple dozen USD-equivalent per day if that.
  • While I was riding down there from MIA my chatty seatmate was a retired US government bureaucrat / clerical worker. No idea of her GS grade, but she sounded a lot more like a worker bee than an executive.

Anyhow, she lives in a new-ish highrise in a burb (Sabaneta) on the southern outskirts of the city. She told me she loves it and her cost of living is real low all around. She’s black, not Latina, born and lived her whole life in the DC area. As gringo as they come, but a perky adventurous spirit despite being about age 70. She said she moved down there speaking zero Spanish and in a couple years has learned by osmosis the small vocabulary you need to get along in daily life. She’s a happy camper for sure.

One last comment. Medellín’s nickname is “the city of perpetual Spring”. Which is about what it felt like.

Flyboy Hooray for hot water!! Double hooray for no burst-pipe leak. And darn fine chiles rellenos!

I did read the other ~75 posts I didn’t reply too. Best to everyone!!