Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 1)

18.5 for the win. Thanks for refreshing my aging memory! :slight_smile:

They put it in after the they found the dead cats?

Professional golfer John Rahm was well on his way to collecting a victory at the Memorial tournament and the almost 1.7 million dollar prize. Then he tested positive for Covid. After having a nigh but insurmountable 6 stroke lead after 3 of the 4 rounds of golf, he was forced to withdraw from the tournament.

Apparently, he had close contact with another person who tested positive and he himself tested positive on Saturday.

The PGA does not test golfers for Covid after close contacts unless they haven’t been vaccinated.

John Rahm’s decision not to get vaccinated likely cost him the Memorial Championship and over one and a half million dollars.

I don’t mean to victim-blame, but if Fluffy would have heard her owner, she would have known not to fall for the old “cat fud” trick.

We just re-watched that movie a couple of weeks ago. I love it.

Yup, I was surprised that the news stories I saw painted such a sympathetic picture.

Are we correct in assuming that vaccination was available to him and he declined? You would think so if he lives in the U.S., and surely in any case there would be special dispensation for anyone participating in a mass event like this? But he’s only 26, I’m not sure of the situation for a normal 26-year-old in Spain.

I can’t find any news story clarifying this.

Rahm lives in Scottsdale Arizona (where the vaccine is readily available) with his wife and their newborn son. In addition, “The Tour has offered vaccines to players for several months and has incentivized those who undergo a full vaccine course by lifting many of the restrictions required of unvaccinated players.” Cite.

In that case the dumb fucker deserves and gets zero sympathy.

Thanks for the confirmation - for sure the vaccine was available to him.

[Grumpy Cat]
Good.
[/Grumpy Cat]

Two of the golfers in Jon Rahm’s group on Saturday are also likely unvaccinated.

Patrick Cantlay admits he isn’t and said he thought his previous bout with Covid several months ago would suffice.

Scottie Scheffler wouldn’t say one way or another but it’s pretty obvious he isn’t vaccinated. He said he had it last fall and wasn’t concerned since they’re outdoors.

The PGA is saying about half of all Tour players are vaccinated which is merely ok compared to the country at large but shockingly low given the potential risks vs rewards. I know golfers skew conservative but I would have thought the financial risk would overcome the reticence.

Everyone I know is vaccinated. It’s not that hard to do.

One person in my Wife’s office refuses, and they are not quite sure what to do about that. Doubt anything can be done. I guess she’s an anti-vaxor. Now, instead of everyone getting back a little bit to normal, they are wearing masks.

This could just turn out to represent the big breath that Tiger Woods needs right now.

an apt autocorrect…

goddammit!

“It’s not specifically against the rules, therefore it’s A-OK!”

Bill Maher liked referring to this sort of behavior by our 45th “President” by making reference to the film, “Gus:”

There’s a losing football team who brings in a mule as a place kicker, because:

the rule book does not require a player to be human

The Corona vaccine turns people into magnets.

It’s not turtles, it’s lawyers.
All.
The.
Way.
Down.

This is proof that the USA needs better mental health care.

(not directed at you Darren)