Oops. Sorry. I forgot it’s not called soccer over there. ![]()
Exactly.
The plane left the gate just one minute late, at 8:01 am, and ordinarily would have taken off about 15 minutes after pulling away from the gate. However, take-off was delayed because of the airport’s typically heavy morning traffic. When Flight 93 left the ground at 8:42, the flight was running more than 25 minutes late.
The first plane hit the tower just four minutes later.
In New York City, the beautiful morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001, was transformed instantly at 8:46 a.m., when a hijacked airliner crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.
The state law in question had nothing to do with coffee, but rather open records and the need for a public hearing before instituting a policy change.
That’s great, and I’m all for the student.
What bothers me is the change to the policy. The policy they had instituted precluded outside food and drink in a classroom. The change is that it is now up to the teachers on a case-by-case basis.
So you take a rule that is consistent and enforceable and assist it to the responsibility of the individual teacher. Yeah, that’s a fair, even-handed way to deal with it. If a teacher doesn’t like the disruption that, say, someone slurping on a straw from a nearly empty cup, they get to be the bad guy. And they limit one student’s Red Bull but not another’s OJ?
And the district had clean hands - it’s policy. Lawsuit? That’s on the teacher. So how much support will a teacher get if they decide no? Zilch. Trachers now find themselves de facto required to allow outside food and beverages. Because if they don’t, they open themselves up for a lawsuit on grounds that other classes allow it and there’s no policy against it.
Hey, I’m definitely on the “her body, her choice” side of the metaphorical fence. What I’m against is the quackery of facilitated communication. This story is what has me SMH.
Question: If the kid can spell already, why would he be drawing a keyboard instead of simply writing out what he wanted to eat?
Answer: IT DIDN’T HAPPEN! That’s why not. It’s nonsense and it peeves me this is filed by Yahoo as a “feel good” story.
Let’s dive back into the story and see what’s really happening there. The bolding is mine.
Wow. Just wow.
I wanted to look at that video on FB so I can post here my highlights from it, but Feeb’s down worldwide right now.
Now starring in Keyboard, She Wrote.
Facebook is up again and I just checked that video. It’s worse than I could ever have imagined. The child is just tapping somewhere on the tattoo. At one point, his finger tap wasn’t even on it. Yet, the mother was sounding out the letters she has convinced herself he tapped.
Let’s pretend (because I’m not delusional and I am willing to accept I may be mistaken) I missed one or two vowels, which can only have both been A because of where the toddler’s finger tapped. There’s no way whatsoever including them would make even one word out of that gibberish. It certainly cannot make a sentence.
That poor child.
Wrong show. The one you must have meant is Keyboard, She Wished.
QWERTY Rotten Scoundrels
Bravo!
![]()
65 year old here. That’s what we called them too in grade school.
Yes, absolutely (77 years old here). Also for boots, hats, umbrellas, packed lunches, and anything else required to be at hand at any point during the day that wasn’t directly involved with school work.
When I was an undergrad and in my first years as a grad student, not only I, but a lot of students ate lunch in class. I had the dining service make up a bag lunch (why not? I was paying for the food anyway, and it didn’t cost extra) and got a soda. I had such a full schedule that I had no time free for lunch. I assume it was the same for everyone else eating in the lecture hall. (Later on, when I got off the dining service and prepared my own food, I either made a lunh early or got stuff from the vending machines.) The professors never complained, and appeared to take it as a given that people would be eating in the noontime classes.
That’s not stupid or evil.
You’ve got a 40 min class. How much of that should be spent confiscating phones that ring, buzz, chime, or otherwise signal their presence? Every day.
What method do you recommend to keep students from having their phones in class? Confiscating every phone when students enter the school? Giving detention to any student that smuggles a phone in despite the ban? Bag searches at every classroom door?
This policy is having the desired effect - students are less distracted and more engaged in class. Grades are up. Because the phones aren’t in the bag under the desk or at their feet. Bags are easier to detect than phones, making enforcement much easier and less time consuming. It cuts way down. Phones carried in pockets or otherwise can still be confiscated, but that’s going to be a lot fewer and easier to detect at the door. Versus every student every day getting the TSA treatment for every class.
Smarmy little loophole student, "bag"is going to be interpreted loosely and enforced broadly. Adding “briefcase, or any other container” to the rule for rules lawyers is a waste of effort. “That’s a bag,” is going to be the answer.
Holy Jesus, that’s fucked up! Stupid employee is “distraught” for getting chastised for being unsafe and nearly hitting a customer with a cart? That’s a safety violation that should have gotten her a stern lecture or a write up.
Then her parents come and assault the guy? Fucking world we live in.
I fully support the charges for the former employee and her parents. That’s what those laws are for. They assaulted the guy and he died from it. They did so because he yelled at their daughter? Fuck them. Fuck their lawyer for that “simple misdemeanor assault” defense. He should get tazered in the balls repeatedly.
There’s more than one way to skin a cat. Kids who go to school have to carry things like notebooks, chromebooks, pens, books, money, personal care items, etc. between classrooms. My town’s school has an “off and stowed” policy for phones, now that NJ has gone full ban on phones in the classroom.
What’s most important is consistency and support of the program. If phones “keep going off” even with a phones away rule, as suggested in the article, the problem is enforcement.
I disagree. It’s obviously a great solution, but it doesn’t go far enough.
My own modest proposal - don’t just ban bags in classes. Take violators into custody, chop them up, and serve them in the cafeteria. That’ll solve the problem of excess students and any food budget shortfalls at the same time. That goes for their parents, too. Take care of all the problem people at the same time
![]()
Well, that would bring a Swift conclusion to the issue…
Press On.
At my daughter’s school (middle school in Washington State) they aren’t allowed to bring backpacks. But they don’t have books; all books are electronic and every kid is assigned a laptop. The laptop comes in a bag that kids can put other stuff in. All kids also have a binder, and we got her one that’s built into a little carrying case of its own with a strap and handle.
It’s not a big deal and she just ends up not having to carry around nearly as much as I did at her age.
Murder charges for all. It’s the only way to be sure.
I see no flaws in this proposal.
Sheesh, all this cloakroom talk and no love for cubby holes?