Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 2)

Seriously, is anyone vetting advertising ideas of late?

Back in my day when dinosaurs walked the Earth the only food/drink allowed in the school was in the cafeteria at lunch time. Not even water bottles in class, and definitely not a cup of coffee!

Mine too, but honestly, fuck that. Let the kids hydrate if you expect them to be able to learn.

25 years ago in another country? And probably the least memorable crash (since it didn’t hit a building)? I’d cut the ad agency some slack.

Related to the previous discussion: my first thought is, nothing to carry a tampon or pad in? They’re not all going to be wearing cargo pants.

Yeah, my first thought was “is it normal these days for students to be eating and drinking during class?”

Apparently it is, though.

(No, we didn’t get dehydrated. We had plenty of access to water between classes. Unless you’re out running in Texas summer sun, or something of that sort, you don’t need to drink every few minutes.)

I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds the whole “eating and drinking” in class thing strange in a general sense.

On a related note, I was in highschool in the late 90’s and I still remember seeing vending machines popping up on campus, outside of cafeteria settings, for the first time. I took notice of them at least.

Currently I work on staff for a local college, (and yes I know there’s a difference between highschool and college students), and there are multiple vending machines scattered around campus in what seem like random areas. To the point where you’re never more than a minute or two walk away from one. It makes me wonder if there’s some sort of corporate/profit motive involved. What’s the point of buying a 20 oz. on your way to your next class if you’re not allowed to bring it with you?

I’m not against the idea of adults bringing a bottle of water to class. But the whole practice does seem a little ‘off’ to me. I recognize though that could just be my “I’m getting old” gene kicking in.

While I have never worked retail I have my doubts as to whether this is the best way to handle a conflict with a customer:

In that situation, the other students probably shouldn’t even know in what specific way the student is unwell (unless she tells them herself, of course).

They don’t usually eat in class, but yes, they have drinks. Even in our day, though, when all food and drink was in the cafeteria, there were still a lot of kids who brought packed lunches.

Yes, we brought packed lunches.

I nearly always brought mine, because you had to eat everything they gave you in the school lunch, and there was almost always something I couldn’t stand. (I gather that rule’s gone by the wayside too; and good riddance.)

But we didn’t open up our lunchboxes in class. They were for lunchtime, in the cafeteria. I think we left them in the cloakroom, though that’s no longer a clear memory.

Cloaks? You are old!

Or a wizard/witch.

My high school had vending machines, some with hot food, in 1965. We also had a staffed snackbar. What we did not have was a cafeteria or lunchroom. Everyone ate lunch at tables scattered about the quad or went to a classroom where their clique hung out.

back in the early aftermath of 9/11 United 93 was a topic for serious hero worship as the brave passengers supposedly wrested control from the bad guys and thereby saved the Capitol or White House.

Kind of like the Charge of the Light Brigade: brave sacrifice in the face of near-certain death agasint insuperable odds.

There were also a couple of people named who were somehow believed to have been the lead participants in the passenger revolt.

I personally never put much stock in all that, but it was the standard issue attitude at the time.


I could imagine some British marketer who knew just a bit too much more history than actual Americans remember believing that this tale of plucky can-do and brave sacrifice would resonate with the public.

As I recall it, what I read about it said that some passengers on the plane found out about the other hijacked planes being used as missiles (not sure how, I can imagine a couple of ways), the news spread among the passengers, and they assumed they were going to die anyway. Enough of them decided to do something about it, not necessarily to save themselves, but to save other innocent victims on the ground/in the buildings. I haven’t read anything since then to debunk that idea.

Cell phones, probably. Or those seatback phones.

The flight was delayed taking off for about 45 minutes, IIRC. So there was time for the news to be relayed to passengers.

They probably also had a better chance to save themselves by fighting back, too. That chance didn’t work out, of course, but there’s at least a chance of someone getting into the cockpit who could make a survivable landing in those fields instead of the absolutely-definite-crash the hijackers were heading to.

United 93 is a soccer team. They sell clothing as all sports teams do. The ad campaign had nothing to do with 9/11. The timing of the ad release was just a coincidence and, since they are English, they didn’t make the connection. Nobody was trying to make it about “sacrifice”.

Right. The calculus changed from the usual hijacking scenario (the passengers become hostages once the plane lands somewhere (Cuba is the traditional location) - so sitting tight makes sense) to something far worse, where compliance does not good. So they acted. There’s enough of a recording of the last phone calls to be pretty sure that’s what happened. From the 911 Commission Report:

During at least five of the passengers’ phone calls, information was shared about the attacks that had occurred earlier that morning at the World Trade Center. Five calls described the intent of passengers and surviving crew members to revolt against the hijackers. According to one call, they voted on
whether to rush the terrorists in an attempt to retake the plane. They decided, and acted.

At 9:57, the passenger assault began. Several passengers had terminated phone calls with loved ones in order to join the revolt. One of the callers ended her message as follows:“Everyone’s running up to first class. I’ve got to go. Bye.”

The cockpit voice recorder captured the sounds of the passenger assault muffled by the intervening cockpit door. Some family members who listened to the recording report that they can hear the voice of a loved one among the din. We cannot identify whose voices can be heard. But the assault was sustained.

No, it’s not. The team is Oxford United Football Club. 1893 and 1993 are important in the club’s history. And yes, it’s an English club, but it’s expected that the marketing team vet such things.

I am old, but not that old.

I’m pretty sure, though, that there was a closet space at the back of the grade school classrooms that we called a cloakroom; though we put our coats in it, not cloaks.

The school was significantly older than I was, though I don’t remember, if I ever knew, how much older. I do know that the desks had inkwells in them, though we didn’t use them even when we started using ink pens. An occasional inkwell still had an old dried up bottle of ink in it. And there were two main entry doors, one of which had “Boys” engraved above it, and the other one “Girls”; though by the time I got there we all used both doors. They lined us up separately, though, every time we went from one room to another or in and out; boys in one line, girls in the other. And boys sat on one side of the room and girls on the other. Almost nothing was color-coded by gender, though.

I think some of them had working phones.

I don’t think they can have learned about it while still on the ground, or I think they’d have been prevented from taking off. — oh, probably you mean that because they were delayed the other planes hit while that one still had a significant distance to go.