Dodgeball was a great metaphor for atomic collisions.
I thought nuclear collisions were a metaphor for dodgeball!
Because teenagers (and in the minds of some adults, especially teen girls) are so very tricksy, and cannot be allowed to get away with it! You will respect mah authoritah!
In general, I’m against parents of schoolchildren coming into conflict with their teachers… but sometime teachers need a good shouting-at.
I think the conflict here is with the school administrators.
Have you Konsidered purchasing some Konverse sneaKers?
Here is the best image I could find. You tell me what it looks like to you.
Good grief. Yeah, I see the lynching. I had to look elsewhere to find out what they apparently meant to show, and I still can’t see that, at least in that pic of the ad.
The part that looks like a KKK hood is the light from the top point of the star that’s projected onto the floor. I want to assume it was an unfortunate mistake and the photographer (and whoever else saw it before it was published) didn’t notice it. Like if you’re hired to draw a duck and you draw a duck and you give it to the person who hired you to draw a duck and they published it in their book of duck drawings, there’s a good chance none of those people will notice it also looks like a rabbit.
The shoes placed the way the are and the person wearing what looks like a white robe (though I assume it’s a dress) certainly aren’t helping their case. I really want to believe this an accident, but as something I read said, this was done by a professional photographer, the shadows, the light, the composition, none of that was an accident.
And it’s not helping their case that there’s another Converse ad with the shoes hanging from a tree.
I wonder if I’m the only one who also thought “thousand words? Thousand years?”
The story of the Converse sneakers and the photo that seemed to resemble a KKK lynching reminds me of the Hitler tea kettle. This was a tea kettle sold by JC Penney in 2013 and designed by Michael Graves. In a billboard photo, it appeared to look like Hitler’s face.
A father says his 9-year-old son spent $118,000 on YouTube ad campaigns for his Minecraft and Roblox gameplay videos over about three weeks, all charged to a company credit card the father had saved to his own Google account, which his son also used. The father, who identifies himself only as Dave, described the incident in a video titled “Message from Dad…Mighty Mike Plays is Over.” posted to the boy’s channel on Sept. 15. Dave said he was called into a meeting with his manager, corporate staff, and finance and shown the advertising charges.
Well he should get fired for using a company credit card for personal purchases.
In 10th grade, once I realized that phys. ed. was not included in the grade point average, I simply stopped showing up altogether and gleefully took the F.
In my senior year, I graduated with a D. I think the gym teacher was too chicken shit to give me an F. I was already an enrolled student at UCLA (in their honors program – ha!), so I didn’t GAF. I took my D with pride.
I did wonder though if I’d have been forced to repeat gym class in summer school to get my diploma if I had gotten the F. Hmmmm.
You’d expect the Vatican to object to an image of a nun carrying high-top basketball shoes.
Dunking on Satan might be acceptable, though.
Well, this guy would have liked to miss gym class, too. To the point I faked a note to get out.
It doesn’t seem fair. Let guys out a couple days every month and I’m good.
Well, it’s not fair that we get menstrual cramps and you don’t, either. I don’t see guys complaining about the injustice of their not getting to suffer abdominal pain to the extent women do, for some reason.
That said, you’re not wrong that the legacy of excusing girls from exercise classes when they’re menstruating is a bit sus and sexist in its own right. There’s a lot of carryover from the days of ignorant speculation about women just being super fragile on account of their reproductive systems, and physical exertion being likely to damage them in mysterious ways.
There’s also throwback to the days of comparatively clumsy and ineffective menstrual hygiene products, which might fail during strenuous activity in ways that would allow other students to perceive the presence of menstrual fluids (faints). Can’t have that, heaven knows.
However, now that we know physical exercise during menstruation can often reduce menstrual pain and cramping, and menstrual hygiene products tend to be higher quality and more secure, and it’s at least a little bit more acknowledged that the female body shouldn’t be treated as a dirty shameful secret, I think schools ought to lean towards normalizing not skipping gym when on your period. (IME, even back in the day, girls’ sports teams in high school and college certainly didn’t cut players that kind of slack about skipping practice, unless you were seriously incapacitated. ”Oh I can’t play today, Aunt Flo is visiting, teehee” might have been good enough for your gym teacher but it did not fly with Coach.)
Menstruating students who are really suffering serious symptoms should of course be excused from gym, just like any other genuinely unwell student. (And when that happens, the students who don’t menstruate should not whine that it’s unfair preferential treatment.) Less severely affected menstruators IMHO should be gently encouraged to join in as usual, and relieve their mild discomfort and heightened aggression by whacking the fuck out of the ball.
Awhile back I saw a YouTube video of a guy trying on a device designed to simulate period cramps. He described it as “a thousand elves stabbing me in the crotch”.
Sounds about right, IIRC. The elves are sneaky bastards, too; they can spend hours just uncomfortably pinching and squeezing your abdomen, and then when you’re not expecting it, wham, the crotch stabbing.
And I wouldn’t consider my own menstrual symptoms at all bad compared to what a lot of women go through. I’ve known people who routinely vomit from the severity of menstrual pain.
WA high school bans students from having their backpacks or purses with them during class, because that’s apparently easier than just confiscating phones if they go off.
Me, I’d start coming to class with a briefcase.